Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recomment me a mosquito repellent.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So there seem to be so many out there, normally I don’t bother, I just let the b*****s bite me and suffer afterwards, but since I’m spending 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand later on in the year I thought I might try to prevent it. Mr MC has recommended Avon skin so soft, but when I google it, it doesn’t appear to get good reviews. What have you used that works? preferably something slightly kinder for sensitive skin! Or do I just need to MTFU??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DEET is the only proven one although I hold out high hopes for smidge

uplink
    Free Member

DEET

It stinks though

Apparently Skin so Soft needs to be lathered on so that it drowns them rather than repels them

Stoner
    Free Member

Skin so soft is for midges, not mozzies.

Stoner
    Free Member

When Mrs S an I spent a month in Thailand we found the life systems stuff worked ok. The full whack DEEt stuff was used in the jungle, and when that wasnt needed their “natural” product seemed to work OK too – better than youd expect for knittedyoghurt stuff anyway.

http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/insect_repellents/natural_plus_insect_repellent.htm

keep the 100+ stuff away from plastics

http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/insect_repellents/100plus_insect_repellent.htm

druidh
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

That!

SSS works as an oily barrier. Mozzies just go straight through it. Something with DEET is what you want – just don’t get it on anything plastic (like yer sunnies).

toonfan
    Free Member

I was recomended vitamin B tablets in Greece last year.. Doesn’t stop the little horrors biting you but prevents the itch.

Start taking them a week or 2 before you travel.. Might help if the little buggers get past the deet or sss.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh that’s great thanks guys! I shall have a look at that Life Venture stuff, I saw it in a catalogue the other day and wondered abotu it.

retro83
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Stoner – Member
    That!
    SSS works as an oily barrier. Mozzies just go straight through it. Something with DEET is what you want – just don’t get it on anything plastic (like yer sunnies).

That’s interesting. I thought it was because it had citronella in it, like non-DEET mozzy wipes and the soft skin was an added bonus 🙂

That smidge stuff TJ linked to looks good. I’m a magnet to bitey things, I’ll report back when I’ve got some.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Loads and loads of Vegemite … eaten not smeared in the weeks preceding the trip (or any other brewers yeast source really). It needs to be literally oozing out of your pores. Vitamin E supplements are also supposed to help.

Asides from that the only thing I’ve found that works is good old Deet. Spent 8 weeks working at the Inti Wara Yassi refuge in the Bolivian bush and believe me … tried EVERYTHING.

Also remember the more dangerous buggars (i.e. malaria’s) come out mainly at dusk / evening so thats when you need to be covered and doused up. Burning the mozzie spirals will also help lessen the population, but make sure you don’t burn the place down.

Also avoid wearing perfumed products as much as possible, that can attract the little beggars (along with breathing … but harder to cut down on that)

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently the mozzies don’t like tannin, so drink as much red wine as you can…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recomment me a mosquito repellent.’ is closed to new replies.