Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Recommend some things to put in a First Aid Kit
  • Adders69
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations to throw into the bottom of my pack in case I or a riding buddy come a cropper. I'm thinking that I'll need plasters, bandages and antiseptic wipes, but what else?

mjrobinson7
    Free Member

dressings to go with bandages, scissors and compact foil blanket (like they give out at the end of events).

crikey
    Free Member

I've been a nurse for 20 years, I ride with other nurses and doctors, and we never take a first aid kit.

Take some duct tape.

If you can't fix it with duct tape, call an ambulance.

Antiseptic wipes do nothing at all.

Foil blankets are a waste of space.

Duct tape will cover your wounds, stop your bleeding, splint your broken bits and can be used to fix your bike too.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

A pygmy goat

if your sticking one in your bag I bet you end up fixing other people more than you fix you and your mates! In which case make sure you have some sexy rubber surgical gloves! You never know what these mountain bikers have contracted!!!

bassspine
    Free Member

I like that spray 'skin' from Boots that forms an instant scab. I tested it on myself recently and the gashes healed up really well. It stings 'a bit' when it goes on!

sc-xc

tested it on myself recently and the gashes healed up really well.

It's like a modern day chastity belt 😯

Adders69
    Free Member

Is it recommended to kill the pygmy goat for meat, or do you just milk it??? With or without wearing rubber gloves??

Trekster

make sure you have some sexy rubber surgical gloves

Interestingly I was at an incident on Tues where the guy had an open fracturs of the left elbow and 50% of the attending paramedics did not wear gloves?

btbb
    Free Member

Not exactly first aid but how about a whistle for when on a solo ride and your mobile is out of range. Even if no one can hear you you can play a tune!

jedi

water

alexonabike

tick remover

stevomcd
    Free Member

In my guide pack 1st aid kit I carry:

2 whacking great big dressings (military ones)
    Duct tape to hold them on
    Tick tweezers
    Triangular bandage
    Handful of smaller dressings
    Steri-strips
    Rubber gloves

Most of it's been used at one time or another.

I definitely agree with the above posts that antiseptic wipes and foil blankets are a waste of space. Minor cuts and grazes (that might want an antiseptic wipe) are best left until you're back at base as any dressing will just come off and/or the injury will get full of sweat/mud if you continue the ride. Foil blankets are useless in a mountain environment (especially a typically wet/windy UK one). What IS useful is to take the classic orange survival bag, cut it open (you'd never get a seriously injured casualty into one anyway), then duct tape a foil blanket onto it.

I also carry a SAM splint, I haven't made much use of it myself, but I have seen them used effectively.

The "if it's bad, call an ambulance" approach is all very well, but what if you don't have reception and it's going to take hours to reach a phone?

alexpalacefan

I always carry a hand full of emergency gummy bears/ Haribos et c.

+1 for the tick remover

A

tandaylor
    Free Member

picture of a loved one. note paper and pen.

Adders69
    Free Member

Tick Remover? Where do those little suckers live then??

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mobile phone! when I broke my ankle on a solo ride, that was the only thing that was any use to me.

alexonabike

most often on your scot

jcromton
    Free Member

iodine and ambulance dressings. That's all your need imho.

samuri
    Free Member

I don't carry one but if I did I'd go for stuff to stop my blood coming out. Duck tape and a some padding sound good. I can live with everything else till I make my way to civilization.

tandaylor
    Free Member

French horn. whistles are for wimps. Trombone at a push.

tog575
    Free Member

yes duck tape's a good idea cos the thought of having to remove it later will lessen the pain felt prior to application 😆

Drac

Interestingly I was at an incident on Tues where the guy had an open fracturs of the left elbow and 50% of the attending paramedics did not wear gloves?

They bloody should have done for the patient as much as them.

iodine

No, just no.

Northwind

Foil blanket isn't as brilliant as most people think, but neither is it as useful as some people say- you often hear "Ambulances don't carry them any more" but why would they? They're not all that useful in reasonable conditions but if it's raining or windy then they can make a difference- you can be waiting a long time for help if you're away from road access. They're also pretty useful for visibility, more so if you're alone but if you're up on a hillside waiting for paramedics or a ride in a helicopter a big shiny sheet is a handy thing to have.

Adders69
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, all!

Based on your suggestions, my next trip into the Chilterns will see me accompanied by a Pygmy Goat, Rubber gloves, and some Duct Tape … oh, and a tick remover. Let's just hope I don't get stopped by the police then ….

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I take a first aid kit mainly for the kids – gives them a bit of reassurance with a plaster applied, and makes it easier to encourage them to carry on.

Also some very strong pain killers – may make the wait for assistance a bit more pleasant.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Similar to above. Second the orange blanket cut open with foil duct taped inside, try it out and you can feel the warmth.

I do carry antiseptic wipes. I know they're not much use and I don't waste them on myself but they are great for reassurance of people with cuts!

I always carry a small tube of nappy bum cream. I've rescued two people's rides with this! When it gets hot and people sweat their nethers can disintegrate pretty fast!!! The rule is that they get one squeeze into their hands and once it's applied they aren't allowed to touch the tube to get more and they are banned from any communal sweeties that I might be carrying! 🙂

Drac

Also some very strong pain killers – may make the wait for assistance a bit more pleasant.

If your waiting for help then try to avoid these, it may hinder what we can then give, me make them puke and are you sure they can take them?

antigee

having seen a fair number of mainly minor casualties in the hills over the years surprised by the "no foil blanket" comments – seen a few people where exposure combined with shock is biggest problem not the original injury
    so i take my whistle and foil blanket tape and dressings

doug_basqueMTB.com

antigee, the foil blankets don't provide enough protection and have you ever tried getting someone into one with all their kit on without ripping it to shreds? Hence why a lot of people carry an orange survival blanket, cut open with a foil blanket taped inside. It's warm and being cut open it's easy to get the person inside it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Antiseptic wipes stop the blood clotting apparently, not ideal for extensive bleeding….

Drac

Antiseptic wipes stop the blood clotting apparently, not ideal for extensive bleeding….

If you disturb the wound it'll effect clotting, there's no need to clean the wound at the scene unless your going to close the wound. Even then anti-septic wipes are no better than a good clean with tap water.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

yes, because there's plenty of tap water in the hills.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a good outdoors emergency 1st aid book? I think that would be a hell of a good suggestion every time these type of threads appear. As above, antiseptic wipes just move blood around rather than clean it off. I would rather look like a man and let the blood clot and seal the wound till i get back to clean it out properly. Thats what happened to me twice this year. The wipes were a complete waste of time.

A phone & knowledge are the most important things i reckon you can have with you.

Oh, i was a little suprised at how low people rate the foil blankets. I havent used one before but do tend to have one with me on winter rides.

Drac

yes, because there's plenty of tap water in the hills.

Did you bother reading what I wrote?

Lots of people now carry things called hydration packs with them, many carry tap water in these. It's a new gimmick to mountain biking and may never catch on but if fancy trying one I think you can get them from a few shops now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Patronising as ever Drac.

Most folk I ride with have some form of juice or energy drink in their backpack.

Why don't you tell use about all the hidden nasties we might have if we dress our own wounds and don't let medical professionals such as yourself feel superior by doing it for us?

crikey
    Free Member

As Drac says, there's no need to clean it while you're out, just cover it up if you want. Tap water is fine for cleaning wounds; anything fancier tends to interrupt the healing process.

Drac

Why don't you tell use about all the hidden nasties we might have if we dress our own wounds and don't let medical professionals such as yourself feel superior by doing it for us?

Depends on the extent of the wound if it needs medical assistance to clean it. The risks I think most people or aware of tetanus and infection, common sense really needs to be applied if you unsure then go to a minor injuries unit and have it cleaned and dressed thoroughly.

anjs
    Free Member

Bearing in mind how common shoulder / collar bone injuries are a triangular bandage is always useful for an elivated sling.

crikey
    Free Member

Bearing in mind how common shoulder / collar bone injuries are a triangular bandage is always useful for an elivated sling.

Duct tape; just stick the hand of the affected side to the opposite shoulder.

It fixes so much stuff, can even be used to hold wounds until they get stitched, and apply pressure to stop bleeding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some things to put in a First Aid Kit’ is closed to new replies.