Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me cheap climbing shoes (please)
  • Leku
    Free Member

The eldest has started an after school climbing course and so I have some time to kill at the wall while I wait.

I rented some shoes and did a bit of bouldering and really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend me some cheap climbing shoes?

I realise that trying some on would be best, but I just want some cheap ones to get me going.

size 8

donsimon
    Free Member

Decathlon.

Cougar

You must try on climbing shoes. It’s impossible to do it mail order. They’re all different shapes and sizes and a size 6 in one brand will be a size 9 in another.

First pair I had were, uh, Boreal I think. But, trust me on this, go to a proper climbing shop and get advice and help from an actual climber. When I bought my most recent pair, as an experienced climber and knowing what I wanted, I must’ve tried on every pair in the shop pretty much before making my purchase.

Any other climbing gear, you can get Internet advice, there’s no such thing as bad climbing gear for fairly obvious reasons. Shoes, no way. Seriously, it’s worth a couple of quid premium to get something suitable that fits.

Generic advice. Slip lasted shoes will stretch maybe half a size; board lasted will not. Shoes should be tight but not painful; specifically, any pressure points and it’s the wrong shoe (or wrong size). Some people will tell you that if it doesn’t hurt it’s too big; for a beginner, this is bad advice, walk away if you receive it; painful shoes won’t help your climbing, they’ll just make you dread it.

transapp
    Free Member

I tried on a pair of red chillie shoes in a shop, then bought a pair off fleabay the same size and make. Didn’t feel too bad as I bought a load of skiing, climbing and riding kit from snow and rock which is why I needed to be tight!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the sole of your foot isn’t bent into the profile of a banana, the shoes are too big. 🙂

Nah, seriously, what Cougar says more or less. Nice and snug will do for your first pair. Try some slip on jobbies. Oh and learn to climb routes. It’s far more interesting. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Scarpa
    Five Ten
    Boreal
    La Sportiva (only for really good climbers)

All good makes.

restless
    Free Member

my son is a size one and i ordered Red Chilli childs shoes from Cotwolds and they were mega tiny.
    we ended up going to the shop and they fitted him with a size 3.
    weren’t cheap though, still cost about £35 for kids ones.

Leku
    Free Member

I’ll have a wander over to Snow and Rock and have a look. Really just after a cheap alternative to renting from the wall (and you don’t get much choice there).

I used to climb about 18 years ago but had college mates who climbed a lot so could always tag along with them.

Dunk10
    Free Member

Evolv defys are pretty good beginner to intermediate shoes round about the £50 last time I looked. I’m currently using Scarpa thunders which are awesome only started bouldering a couple of months back and have done me from FB grade 5 up to 6B+ so far! Sizing wise try them for sure!

Cougar

Incidentally,

Any North West climbers about?

andy7t2
    Free Member

what cougar says, try go outdoors just picked up a pair of red chilli’s for £45

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Leku, as Cougar says, yes try decathlon for cheap shoes , their own brand gym shoes seem ok, otherwise it’s a case of looking in local shops for deals.’i have a pair of Evolv Defy at the moment , very good!. Also try go outdoors as above; I got a pair of mad rock a few years ago in the bargain bin for £20 as they were last years’ shade of grey!!

Cougar – I’m in Stockport.

buttercup
    Free Member

DD, you crack me up.

Go Outdoors is an awesome choice, especially this tim eof year. I once got a pair of scarpas for £15 from them.

A good pair of beginner shoes are Scarpa Force’s. or the newer Vapor version. They let your foot lay somewhat flat while still having an aggressive toe box. Chili Sausalitos are also good for this. 5.10 Gambits/Verde Anasazis are the same.

I would highly recommend those, but you have already dropped £70 just reading that probably. 😛

Definitely try before you buy.
    You can find some Erowid shoes for cheap, because they are a lesser known company, but are pretty awesome in comparison to Sausalitos and the Defys.

hammyuk
    Free Member

My kids both have Decathlon’s own ones and have been passed down as they’ve grown up – they’re still going strong now and the nephew has them!
    At £20’ish a pair – if he doesn’t like it then you can move them on ditch them!

RustySpanner

(Shameless plug) Cougar, loads of North West climbers in the Karabiner Mountaineering Club, find us at KMC.org or drop me a line. (Shameless plug)

Seriously, everyone welcome, loads of meets, friendly people and a brilliant hut in Llanberis, right next to the quarry.

I’m the fat bloke on the Rock Lobster in the video 😀 I’m gradually managing to persuade the climbers to try off road cycling – going ok so far!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – cheers, i’ll take a look!

elaineanne
    Free Member

i used to climb about 3-4 years ago…. started on Boreal shoes, then got me a pair of ‘la sportiva’ which helped me climb better somewhat….then i got a third pair…cant remeber the name now…but they rubbed my feet like crazy….. i cant stress enuff on how much climbing shoes really do hurt your feet when you start climbing….. they are a different fit to your normal trainer….. like a slipper but tight !!!!!…..whatever shoe size you are ive heard people say get 2 sizes smaller than your normal shoe size….god i duno about that…maybe one size smaller…
    you will just have to try some on and get good advice from the climbing shops…..
    ive been promising myself to get back into the bouldering asap….since MTB’ing has taken over my life….big style…i must i must…climb climb climb….lol tho the boulders are green n slippery at this time of the year..lol

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me cheap climbing shoes (please)’ is closed to new replies.