• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by duir.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a new Hydration Pack
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Currently have a CamelBak Mule which I find too small and digs into my back when fully loaded with gear and water.

Been looking at the Evoc Packs with the built in back protector, CB Hawg and Dakine Nomad but is there anything else I should be looking at?

spacemonkey

I have a Mule and recently swapped the bladder for a 3l Deuter. Cheaper than CB and far easier to clean.

Have you tried adjusting the straps/load to prevent the digging in thing? I've used mine to carry stuff internally/externally and after some jiggery pokery it's fine.

StuF

I like my Northface Hammerhead – and its got a little magnet that clips the bit valve to the chest strap so its not flopping about.

FuzzyWuzzy

Osprey Raptor (various sizes available)

peachos
    Free Member

ogio baja

really like mine – well made & plenty durable. loads of pockets and expandable. uses the hydrapak bladder.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've also got a TNF Hammerhead which I'm very happy with, it might be too small for what you want tho, they do a TNF megamouth or something like that, which is bigger. The two bigger Dakine packs got good write ups Nomad and Apex. I've got an Ogio Moto1950, which is 30L big. The Ogio is pretty good, but I think the harness system could be better designed, it's probably designed more for Alpine uplift riding than XC. It might be worth looking more into the outdoors/marathon type rucksacks of 15L+ (ie TNF, Salomon etc), where more thought might have gone into stability and harness backpad venting. The Osprey raptor packs look good.

vinnyeh

If you've a problem with weight distribution or discomfort carrying the weight high up on your back, try Wingnut packs.

tang
    Free Member

just got a wingnut this morning. the 'adventure' pack. loaded up feels like a pack ought to; stable and weight low, unlike my camelbak which fully loaded with water etc feels like a tree trunk rolling around. im off out for a test ride after lunch.

sambob
    Free Member

inov-8 race pro 22 or either 12 or 18 depending on size needed. i spen 6 hours in the peaks on saturday with one and had no issues what so ever 🙂

bionicwoman
    Free Member

I have the wingnut and have old back fractures they are amazing…

hicksville
    Free Member

In no particular order

wingnut……hello Tang got there okay if a bit delayed 😳 how was the test ride??

Ergon bd 2

osprey talon 22 or similiar.

the first 2 packs put the wieght on the hips…the wingnut is very light and the ergon frame is heavy and actual capacity small but tighten the waist belt and you can leave shoulder straps alone and the weight seems to vanish, with the flexi link the shoulders straps move with you. Suprisingly tough Highly recommended. Both fab

Osprey carries a lot of weight on the hips and is really good only had one ride on it though, well made personal choice for all day rides/light touring.

with all of them you will be to buy a bladder

DezB
    Free Member

The Lezyne Smart Packs that Wiggle were selling for bargain prices a few weeks back are still reasonably priced. I used mine for the first time this week and it was so much more comfortable than my Mule I couldn't believe it! I think because it's wider on the back.
    Fits loads of stuff in too (as well as coming with a pump and multitool).

The bladder isn't the greatest – press seal top needs to be done carefully to ensure no leakage and the bite valve isn't as flowy as a CB one. But I'm pleased with it (especially for £30!)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyne_Loaded_Smart_Pack_3_Litre_Hydration_System/5360046483/

MRanger156
    Free Member

I think the main problem is called by having the Mule bulging with kit and hence it digs into my back.

Will have a look at the options above.

Has anyone tried an Evoc pack?

DezB
    Free Member

The Lezyne doesn't creak like annoying bastard all the time you're riding too! I think my Mule will stay in the cupboard from now!

MRanger156
    Free Member

I like the look of the Oprey Raptor, apart from the price! Will try to have a look at one in cotsworlds today.

flyingfox
    Free Member

the new Lezyne packs, which are just in are great.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad has given me 2 years of service and still going strong.

duir
    Free Member

The Dakine stuff is the best around. Utterly strong, very well made and some ingenious compartments and features. The nomad looks like a small compact pack but holds an amazing amount of gear in a very stable and comfortable way. I wasn't keen on the bladder that came with it so I put a 3 litre deuter in for the the ultimate setup.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new Hydration Pack’ is closed to new replies.