Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a helmet light
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Looking for a helmet light to complement / backup the unreliable Luu light I bought from on-one a few years ago.

Budget = up to £200.
    tried a friends AyUP helmet set up last night [older 2009 model] and wasn’t blown away, but was ok. Also I realised the AYUP’s have gained output this year.

Oh yea, would also be handy if the light came with a headband so could be used while trail running / walking the dog.

What are the current in favour options?

zilog6128

I have the 2012 Exposure Joystick and thoroughly recommend it. The mount is great (zero-faff) as is the cable-free design. Probably not bright enough to use by itself but it is ideal complimenting a bar light.

z1ppy

Friend just bought a Exposure Maxx-D and it is an impressive little light.
    Still £150+ though.

I would spend £20 on a chinese torch personnally, as I know my P7 torch are just as good output wise, though weigh a bit more and don’t have the battery capacity (youjust carry an extra battery in your pocket)… oh and you still have to find a mount but then you have £130 spare to do that with. 😀

Newer XML (brighter and more punch) torch:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-cree-xml-20-torch-out-of-the-box-pics-review

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Just borrowed the up-rated ay-ups and will now go and buy some! (well, xmas pressie!)

A whole load of guys I ride with have just up-rated their old ones, and the 2 who didn’t are sending them off ASAP!

Very bright and light (as in weight 😆 )

fastindian
    Free Member

£200! dont waste your money fella spend £30 and get one of these, excellent spot ideal for the lid!

DX T6 Assault Crown Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen

SKU 82508

works a treat 😆

julioflo
    Free Member

The DX is looking good!
    Bit behind the times, but what’s the deal with the Deal Extreme website…? Is it Uk shipping or is the stock coming from china and a few days lead time…

wwaswas

I’ve got a Lupine Piko – lovely bit of kit. Not cheap but it does a really good job…

mattmbk
    Free Member

I use an Exposure Diablo. Works well on my lid in combo with a MaxxD on the bars. Never really need either on flat out so no burn time issues.

FuzzyWuzzy

Exposure Diablo, about £160 on Wiggle atm with the front page voucher code (few other places similar but most not in stock)

ciderinsport
    Free Member

DX is a few weeks delivery….

z1ppy

yes DX can be a bit slow 😀 but as per Stoner’s thread most of the torches are available on ebay for similar prices and 10-14 day delivery.
    Personnally I’d recommend a 5 mode torch too, yes a bit more faff, but the middle mode are more usable, as the low is too low and the high can be overkill for walking the dog or canal stretches, & it extends the battery runtimes as a bonus.

martintonge
    Free Member

just bought the uberbike 900 lumen light that has 2x bike mounts & a helmet/headband mount not used it yet but looks brighter than my older ay-ups & only cost £85 & came in 2 days !

johnikgriff
    Free Member

DX ligths all day (night) long. I got a 1200 Lumens one last year now everyone I ride with has one. About £20 posted and couple of 18650 batteries and charger. They sell mounts as well.

I have a joystick and its a great bit of kit, but next to a DX its underpowered and over price. Still love it though.

I notice they now have a 4300 Lumen one. Its about £50, takes 2 batteries so longer and would probably be to much (top setting on mine is to much if there is a bit of mist in the air), but I soooo want it.

If you do go DX, there are loads that are very similiar, I recommend the one with the dimpled reflector. We got these (probably over 20 of them now)

DX lights

superfli
    Free Member

Fed up with DealExtreme + magic shine cheap lights. Nothing more annoying than having to pickup batteries, fiddling with switches that dont work properly, retightening barckets as light keeps swivelling, batteries not lasting long and chargers breaking!

I’m looking at getting a four4th.co.uk Exodus or Genesis 3spot (their latest helmet light). Mate has an exodus and its very impressive – more output than Hope Vision 4, and mickeymouse magicshine. Very small and neat+well made, great fixing bracket and hasn’t run out on a night ride yet. Good price too compared to competition at £200 or less.

z1ppy

worth a gander to see what there actually talking about output wise:
    http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a helmet light’ is closed to new replies.