Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recomend me a dog please
  • tobyho
    Free Member

Sorry. I have posted this question before – but it appears to be deleted.

Wife and kids are very keen on getting a dog. So, STW, what dog should we cosnider getting ?

It will get walked daily but only for 45 – 60 mins in the week and possibly an 1.5 hour on a Saturday and Sunday – not a lot I know..

And I’d like one which doesn’t smell ? And is great with kids..

Does such a dog exist ?

rewski
    Free Member

And I’d like one which doesn’t smell ?

No

soobalias
    Free Member

more detail required really – will it be left alone during the day, how long for?
    small medium large?
    why do you (as a family) want a dog?

doesnt smell! look at breeds with a thin coat
    good with kids! avoid terriers, puppies, working dogs, guarding breeds

try some dog forums for advice or
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
    give the quiz a go, it will throw up all sorts for further investigation.

RESCUE

montylikesbeer

erm labs every time, not small, stink like well, shed hair like a young bobby charlton, but just great a friend

GTDave
    Free Member

Everyone will recommend you the dog they have, the majority will probably recommend a border terrier.

We have an Aussie Labradoodle, and he’s the best dog ever. Highly intelligent, with the loyalty of a Lab, independent character of a poodle, bundles of energy, never has the doggy smell, doesn’t shed, and is completely fooking nuts!

DezB
    Free Member

Everyone will recommend you the dog they have

Yep, you can have mine!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Greyhounds and Lurchers make wonderful pets, and there are plenty that need re-homing.

Lots of useful information here. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/g/greyhoundsandlurchers/default.aspx

and here http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

You may need a bigger sofa though. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

most people say their dogs dont smell
    and most people with cats say their houses dont stink of piss
    most people lie

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Cocker Spaniel (English). Perfect happy, do anything, family dog. Does need grooming, but you can get them clipped.

donsimon
    Free Member

Kids? Only one choice then, a Staffordshire. If you can get your head around the fact that as chavs basically **** and have chiosen the wrong dog! You can do much worse than a Staff. KC says they’re one of the best dogs when kids are around.

nickhart
    Free Member

love our border terrier which is brilliant with kids, his coat doesn’t shed and is fitter than most dogs round here.
    doesn’t take up much room, adapts to the amount of exercise he gets well, approx an hour every morning during the week then more at the weekends. doesn’t eat a massive amount and doesn’t do huge sh*ts.
    he does smell but of dog! what do you expect and as he’s a terrier he’s hard as nails come the weather.

hora
    Free Member

IMO the bigger the dog and the longer the hair the more likely it is to smell. In addition avoid breeds that malt.

Go for a breed that is easy to manage and smaller IMO. Its a royal pita driving a large breed around in a vehicle full of family and kit.

Plus knocking into things at home.

If you don’t have any insecurities about yourself go for a smaller dog- if I chose again it’d be either a female Westie, a Jack Russell or a Border Terrier.

Big dogs are for big houses and grounds.

Drac

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ok-i-give-up-we-can-get-a-dog-but-what-kind-of-dog-should-we-get

Jake the border. by Lee Collis, on Flickr

or

Bogroll3 by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Actually for your first dog a Labrador is a good call as they’re very easy to train, Borders on the other hand.

hora
    Free Member

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And I’d like one which doesn’t smell ?

then you need a bitch… though i may be getting two punchlines confused here.

and from waaaaay back…
    get a black and white one, the licence is cheaper

DezB
    Free Member

Huskys are the only dogs I’ve heard of that they don’t smell.
    My pointer doesn’t smell much, except when she’s eaten the wrong thing. And then…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not everyone.

I’d rule out a vizsla. They don’t smell at all, but they’re usually bad with kids, especially other peoples (so not good if kids come round to play with yours).

I’d look at other short haired breeds though.

slowuphill
    Free Member

Cocker spaniel here. Gets walked around an hour a day and longer at weekends. Nice temperment cross between a working and show. Loves to run.

See this video

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Border here….

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Clearly a Portuguese Water Dog. I am desperately waiting for the day when i get permission to get one.

Great with children, very intelligent, active and it does not smell a lot. Or shed. Will be ace if you want to take for a cycle or a swim.

So good that Obama chose one to be the first dog of America. Look for Bo.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You need one aligned with your lifestlye. What job do you do?

imp999
    Free Member

We went to some dog enthusiasts show down London where they had loads of dog breeds and their enthusiastic owners. We had a short list and after the show had whittled it down to….

Tibetan Terrier.

Super clean, no hair-dropping, great with kids(Thinks she is one), agillity of a cat(really), very loving.

And just had 8 pups!

bullheart
    Free Member

Staff or greyhound. for kids and walk time respectively.

Labs stink. Spaniels are time-consuming.

Mongrel from the Dogs Trust?

ams09121974
    Free Member

Japanese Shiba Inu. I have two, great with kids, love biking, don’t smell and don’t bark, unless they have a real reason too! Little bit bigger than a staffie!

nickf
    Free Member

Get a trailhound, preferably a Dogs Trust-sourced ex-racer.

Wonderful with kids, minimal barking, don’t smell, but do drop some hair. Dead loyal, reasonably hard to train (very independent), but do basic things well. Utterly unaggressive, don’t kill things, couln’t give a stuff about our cats and chickens.

http://trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

Admiralable
    Free Member

elaineanne
    Free Member

get a whippet/greyhound…they are extremely loyal and after a blast around they will snuggle up next to you on the couch….or in your bed…mine is a cheeky whippet he sneaks under the duvet during the nite…keeps me feet warm anyway….lol yep lovely dogs …. 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a dog please’ is closed to new replies.