Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Reccomend me some lightweight walking boots
  • sambob
    Free Member

i need some walking boots for a D of E expedition in a month but i usually wear fell shoes, even for long walks. The reason i don't like walking boots is the weight. anything around for about £60 would be good 🙂

Terry
    Free Member

Haglöfs solid lite. 60 is a little low.

69er
    Free Member

Just got some Brasher GTX's off eBay for £65 brand new. Awesome boots,v comfy, light and waterproof.

deft
    Free Member

Get some approach shoes with a bit of heel support, 5.10s are a bit pricier (mine were £75) but worth it in my experience

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Any of Salomon's lighter walking boots like the ones below would do the job. I've worn Salomon for years and the soles in particular are really good- nice and grippy on wet rock

midlifecrashes

Another vote for the Brasher Supalite GTX, fantastic boot, but you'll be lucky to get them for £60. But if you're happy in shoes, do you really need to change for the expedition? I use cheap Karrimor waterproof boots for MTBing on flat pedals through winter, and the current ones are actually a very decent boot and only around £35 from the high street cheapy sport shops. Whatever you choose to do, get them quick so you have at least a bit of chance to wear them in.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I'm guessing there's a rule saying you must wear walking boots?

daveob
    Free Member

I bought some brasher GTX over 20 years ago and I still love them now.

steve-g
    Free Member

I recently got some karrimoor boots from sports direct for about 30 – 35 quid in the sale a couple of weeks back, they seem to be doing the job so far. If you're used to trainers you are going to feel the difference but they do support your ankles and whatever surface you walk on it feels like you're walking on nice flat concrete

RustySpanner

+1 for Karrimor.

TK Maxx have loads of decent Karrimors in at the mo.
    Quite wide for their length, which is why I like them. The fabric KSB's are great for summer. Lightweight too.

The quality of lots of the Karrimor stuff isn't what it used to be now that Sports Direct have bought the company, but the boots still seem to be well made.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have always got on well with Hitec boots. Light and cheap and not badly made

azarat
    Free Member

What size? I have Salomon light weights size 7/41 on flee bay at the moment. If interested mail me for ebay details.

surfer
    Free Member

Inv8 Roclite boots

Incredibly light, grippy and comfortable. Great for moving quick.

iDave
    Free Member

+1 for Inov8, light enough to run in, tough enough to kick hippo's with

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Lot's or people recomending boots they wear, but they don't have your feet. It's a little bit like asking what bike people ride so you know what to buy…

Go get your feet measured properly. They should measure size, width, then size walking up hill and size walking down hill, the differences between them and then recomend a few boots for you to try on.I personally like Merrels and Salomons, but that's pretty irrelevant.

sambob
    Free Member

talked to leader today and i should be allowed to wear my adidas swoops fell running shoes and getting some sealskinz socks next week. i do llike the look of the inov-8 boots, especially the 288 boots.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Berghaus Explorer GTX leather – about £90, super light, totally waterproof and comfy.

Inov8s are brilliant for racing in but not sure about distance walking as I've only tried the shoes – I use their Mudclaws 330s for 10k trail races. Very little cushioning but they grip very well and weigh naff all.

davesmum
    Free Member

I can recommend the Salomons that UpOnTheDowns has above. Very light and comfy. But I think your best bet would be to go to a proper outdoor shop (who know what they are talking about, not Go Outdoors et al who employ 16 year old kids who just want to earn beer money) who can measure your feet and make recommendations that will suit the shape of your feet. That is how I got my Salomons, and they are by far the comfiest pair of walking boots I have ever owned. I will always use this kind of service in the future now 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

mudclaws for trail races? try x talons, 118g lighter and more cushioning. 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sambob – when I say trail I mean pretty serious trail – deep mud, cliff paths, etc. 5th out of 120 on my last (11k EnduranceLife) one using them so I rate them. The X talons just aren't comfy on my feet and don't last very long.

epicyclo

Sealskinz socks have made buying boots much easier.

No longer a worry about keeping water out, and can use a shoe most of the time if ankle protection not needed – much more nimble.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

But wet boots (inside) are heavy boots. I love Sealskinz for MTBing but find proper walking socks with waterproof/breathable boots more comfy.

Ewan
    Free Member

To be fair to go-outdoors I was advised by a knowledgable lady in the boot section (in bristol). She knew what she was talking about and had a fairly encylopedic knowledge of snowdonia, so i'm guessing she walked the walk as it were…

sambob
    Free Member

fair enough surf-mat. Not allowed fell shoes, so can anyone reccomend some waterproof aproach/walking shoes? not boots.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me some lightweight walking boots’ is closed to new replies.