Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ready Brek Versus Porridge
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Is readybrek the same as eating porridge??
    I cant stomach porridge as i always seem to make it lumpy and i dont know whether to chew it or swish it round my mouth.. in fact it almost makes me retch and i cant eat it.
    Readybrek on the other hand is all smooth.. ready in 90secs and skiffles straight down the hatch.
    But is readybrek as good energy and nutritionally wise??
    Is it just much finer oats??
    Plus ready brek has some added vitamins for my childlike brain.

creamegg
    Free Member

think you may need a couple of rusks to go with it 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Ready Brek:

Porridge:

It’s your call..

ourmaninthenorth

Readybrek has the consistency and flavour of baby sick.

Porridge should be jumbo oats only.

You know what you need to do….

Deveron53
    Free Member

Ready Brek is porridge oats that have been powdered. otherwise identical. Porridge makes me gag, Ready Brek is more palatable and is quicker to cook and eat. IMNSHO

bigbloke
    Free Member

I eat both, i like the Honey Ready Brek.

Porridge of choice though is from Aldi…..Harvest Morn Fruity Porridge with raisin,cranberry,apple and cinnamon. Lovely stuff

passtherizla
    Free Member

Porridge is dead easy, and if when you’re cooking you smush a banana in there all the better 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

smush?

Sandwich

Use oatmeal for porridge, a ratio of 10g meal to 70ml fluid makes a good one. Soaking the meal overnight makes it cook even faster.

Dried fruit and syrup are good additives.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Better smush it in rather than smunk it in

bobbyg81
    Free Member

1 cup of porridge, 1 cup of milk and 1 of water.Pinch of salt. Gently stir with a wooden spoon till it starts to thicken. When it does mix it faster. Finish with a drizze of honey. Feeds 2.
    How do you manage to make it lumpy?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Smush: to mash with blunt object (spoon or stirring device).

I get a mug, half fill it wih oats, empty in to pan, half fill the same mug with milk top off with water,put. On heat. KEEP STIRRING. When it starts to thIcken *smush* a banana in and keep stirring, until you think it’s ready, usually about 3 mins in total.

Del

1/2 cup of oats ( i like tesco organic for the pincely sum of £1.49 ), 1 cup of milk, nuke for 2 mins, stir, give it another 30s. frozen raspberries FTW.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think my porridge making has been to rushed in the past so i dunno.. its just sort of always seemed to have that sick consistency to it and i end up chewing it. Ready brek on the other hand with small handful of raisins, some chopped dried mango and 1/2 spoon honey i can shovel down no problem.
    Xenoatphobia = fear of puky porridge 😆

M6TTF
    Free Member

Jumbo oats porridge – gotta have some chew!

stevew
    Free Member

Ah, you see, where you are going wrong is you are using the wrong stirring device, no serious porridge eater should be without a spurtle to stir his oats…..

Pieface

Microwave makes it a lot easier and cleaner – cook it in the bowl. Not a problem putting too little liquid in – I blast it for 2 minutes then stir – if its a bit dry I stir a bit more milk / water in then do it for another 30 seconds.

Its very nice and creamy with milk, but if you add honey and dried fruit (raisins are good) the difference between making it with milk and water is insignificant.

I use Scott’s oats, but only started eating it a few months ago. May try quaker next.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Isnt a spurtle is just any old stick that the scottish use to stir their pukeridge because they are too tight to buy a spoon…

chiefgrooveguru

Mornflake oats are cheaper (thus more Scotch!) and cook faster than fancier jumbo oats. I prefer the texture too…

rickmeister

Tesco value porrige, milk, made in the bowl in the Mirowave with the addition of a few Belgian choccy nuggets that I got from Costco…. nom nom nom…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

*Scotch* 🙂 that’ll wind up the haggis-eating mizzle-faced ginger kilts.

Klunk
    Free Member

porridge is slimey.

konabunny
    Free Member

smush?

Smush.

organic355
    Free Member

good porridge is a PITA to make.

Oat-so simple FTW in the mornings!! with a sliced up bananaananana.

emsz
    Free Member

Gone off porridge toast with nutella ftw

IHN

Oat-so simple FTW in the mornings!!

Really? Why?

Porridge oats, milk, nuke for two mins, stir, eat.

I don’t get why people use Oats So Simple, so much more expensive and no easier to make.

Rich
    Free Member

I like Superfast Oats, you also get a massive bag for about £1.80.

dabble
    Free Member

59p per kilo of morrisons finest value oats.
    Cinnamon and sugar OR banarnarnar to taste.

Nutrition wise there is minimal difference unless you count the extra vit d reddy brek has. Protein is 11.7g in both, and within a couple of g’s for fat and carbs.

Just depends on whether your a bit of a wuss or not.

mountainman

Plus one mornflake oats.

Made mistake of trying Asda value oats ,never again .

I prefer to add chopped banana,pineapple,apple or sultanas which ever is about with dollop of natural yogurt to top it, good start to the day.

supercyril
    Free Member

I eat 50:50 ready brek : porridge.
    Every day for 20 years. I just dont like the consistency of porridge.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you prefer the texture of readybrek, why not just shove some cheap oats in a blender? If you want to fortify it, add some multivitamin powder from H&B. Probably work out a quarter of the price.

Redibrek is the lycra wearing, single speed, 29er of the breakfast world.
    Better in every way.

clubber
    Free Member

If you prefer the texture of readybrek, why not just shove some cheap oats in a blender?

I tried that years ago in an attempt to make it quicker to make and it doesn’t really work – or at least, it does but the resultant porridge feels gritty.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mmm, gritty porridge. All it needs is some coal tar for the authentic Northern experience.

LoCo
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Readybrek has the consistency and flavour of baby sick.

Porridge should be jumbo oats only.

You know what you need to do….

This 😀 with a little salt and maybe a spoon of honey if I’m feeling a bit soft 😳

Haze

Blueberries and a tablespoon of honey 🙂

calumlorimer
    Free Member

A touch of salt is the only way to do porridge, none of this honey/fruit nonsense.

Real porridge is made with water too.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I once choaked on a lump of something in ready brek and that has put me off it for good. Wasn’t a lump of compressed oats either, was properly minging and makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.

Used to like Pawridge but now they only seem to offer the individal sachet version which is too expensive compared to a box. For some reason every other type of microwave porridge seems to explode in my microwave 😀

bruneep

mastiles_fanylion – Member

*Scotch* that’ll wind up the haggis-eating mizzle-faced ginger kilts.

<Sigh>

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ready Brek Versus Porridge’ is closed to new replies.