Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Racing on a cold
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Hmmm, not tried it before, but if I want to do some National Trophy cx’s then I need some points (gridding and all that rubbish). I don’t normally go out on the bike at all if I’ve got a cold. Am I setting myself up for a rubbish season if I do race tomorrow? I’ve got no sore throat or cough, just a general heady sort of thing, came on today. I am old (51) so may be more of a consideration I s’pose.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d suggest that it’s not a good idea to race on a cold. I am considerably more concerned that you think that 51 is old. 😯

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I raced on a cold earlier this year, didn’t do particularly well and felt pretty rubbish while I was doing it but I finished and got some points in the bag, didn’t seem to do me any harm.
    Although I’m 30 years younger! 😛

fasthaggis

Age related racers,got to luv em 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Only danger is it getting on your chest. I’m racing next week and and I’m fighting off a very heavy cold that’s migrating to my chest.
    51 also.

hugor
    Free Member

Dangerous esecially at 51. You risk a viral myocarditis which can kill you.
    I know its tempting after all the preparation but I wouldn’t do it.
    I’ve been there before and had to pull out.

whinosp
    Free Member

As Hugor says, every time I have a cold I think ‘its just about gone so I can go ride/race’ which leads to the cold heading to my chest for a few weeks and a course of antibiotics, or to a dose of laryngitis meaning missing work (I’m a teacher so no voice, no teach).

Just getting over a small cold, didn’t ride today as my voice was croaky when shouting at the World Cup this morning. Hope to ride tomorrow but might leave it as I am taking the kid on an outdoor pursuits week starting Monday so don’t want to kill myself and spend the week getting cold, wet and muddy in caves, canoes etc.

Not sure whether I am becoming more sensible as I get older through experience, or laziness (I am a sprightly 40).

plop_pants
    Free Member

Hmmm scary! It doesn’t make sense to do it then.

ampthill

Not a Doctor

But I thought the ticker packing in was for real flu

I’d say don’t on the basis that sometimes it leads to long term fatigue stuff

hugor
    Free Member

I can comment personally and professionally.
    My girlfriend spent a week in intensive care unit with myocarditis after training hard for a triathlon whilst suffering a flu.
    I also unfortunately hold a medical degree which gives me strong opinions on such matters due to my warped experience of the world.

kcr
    Free Member

Traditional advice for training used to be head cold OK, any cold symptoms below the neck, leave it alone.
    NHS website seems to agree: Exercising in winter – If you have a cold
    NY Times article
    Training hard with flu is obviously not a good idea.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hugor – Member

Dangerous esecially at 51. You risk a viral myocarditis which can kill you.
    I know its tempting after all the preparation but I wouldn’t do it.
    I’ve been there before and had to pull out.

Agreed. I believe the key is “race” not “exercise”. To pootle along will do you no harm and maybe ever some good, to ride flat out is dangerous

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Racing on a cold’ is closed to new replies.