Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Race weather – why oh why oh why …..
  • NZCol

It’s almost Karapoti time (if you are ever in NZ at this time you really must come and play – it’s fantastic). As always our race for the Pink Pinny is on – last one home wears the pinny and is the beer bitch for the evening.

However this year there is some indecision – on bikes, on footwear, on clothing, on camping – on everything. Because of THIS LITTLE WEATHER BOMB. 150kmh winds and 200mm of rain. Nice. Will report back assuming we don’t die 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well that sounds like fun! But on a nice day. How long does the 50k normally take? And will they cancel it if the weather is as bad as predicted? Standing in 150kmh winds is tough – but on a bike as a cross wind 😯

NZCol

Hotshots can get round in 2:20 which is quite amazing given its a tough course, anything under 3 gets you in the hall of fame.
    It’s sheltered , sort of, but there are 4 decent river crossings which could be very dodgy. We will see, has never been cancelled in some tough conditions. I don’t think i’ll be cracking 3 hours this year. And yet another bike will be destroyed during it as well…
    Someone is putting cleats on their Gumboots for it.

aracer
    Free Member

The winds on the Polaris in the Dales which got curtailed were nowhere near 150km/h, yet I found it impossible to ride downhill on tarmac at times due to the cross wind. If you’re getting anything close to that on the course you won’t be riding much.

NZCol

You’ve never been to Wellington have you ? 😉
    It certainly looks like it will be super nasty, my barometer is plunging – they are saying 970 which is insanely low. I’ll be interested to see what the race directors call is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Race weather – why oh why oh why …..’ is closed to new replies.