Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Quick idiot check – shimano hub bearings
  • mustard
    Free Member

As far as I can see I need 3/16″ for the front hubs (cheapo below deore, xt and Ultegra) and 1/4″ for the rear, 18 bearings for each wheel.

Any reason I shouldnt get these stainless ones or anywhere they are cheaper (i’m going to get 100 of each so I’ll have enough for another set of wheels)?

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p224712/3/16+inch+Diameter+Grade+100+Hardened+AISI+420+Stainless+Steel+Ball+Bearings/product_info.html

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p222116/1/4+inch+Diameter+Grade+100+AISI+316+Stainless+Steel+Ball+Bearings/product_info.html

Sorry, can’t link properly on this crappy old browser in work!

Thanks!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Grade 100 check (although XT and XTR are grade 50 or something I think).

Simplybearings check, used them before with good results.

Shimano use stainless steel balls, but chrome steel balls are significantly harder (and cheaper). It might be that softer balls are better though, you don’t want the balls to outlast the cones and cups (better to have the balls wear first, cheap to replace).

mustard
    Free Member

Thanks TuckerUK, I did consider the grade 10 chrome balls but wasn’t sure if it would be better to have stainless and if te egrade difference would be significant in hubs?

Mister-P
    Free Member

18 in the rear, 22 in the front.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ceramic!

superstar do them

mustard
    Free Member

Reggiegasket – is that price per bearing? I think I’d rather slightly higher servicing intervals than paying £20 odd per wheel for 6 wheels!

mustard
    Free Member

Ordered the stainless from simplybearings.

Now; what grease and where from please?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Any old car wheel bearing grease is good (and way cheaper than ‘bike greases’ which 9 time out of 10 are just rebranded general greases at 10 times the cost). I’ve used various general greases over the years.

A thick waterproof grease stays put better and makes it really easy to place the balls and keep them put whilst rebuilding. Something like Morris K99?

If you are using QR hubs worth reading the articles by Park Tools and/or Sheldon Brown regarding correct cone adjustment (i.e. make sure to leave slack in the bearing adjustment to allow for the QR tensioning the axle).

Try Halfords, eBay, or any automotive store. I make a spreadsheet up showing cost per gram and go by price.

mustard
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks again TuckerUK. I’ve been using Castrol LM grease but think some thick, sticky waterproof grease would be a wise move especially for the winter commuter bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Quick idiot check – shimano hub bearings’ is closed to new replies.