• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Public Liability Insurance
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about this?

The venue of my wedding reception wants to see proof of Public Liability Insurance to the tune of £5million.

I was just planning on hiring speakers, amp, mixer and just using my iPod/laptop for music. However most of the companies hiring equipment on this basis don’t carry PLI insurance themselves.

So:
    – would I be able to get it myself as a one off date
    – where from?
    – how much would it likely cost?

Thanks

jota180
    Free Member

the venue must have some pli

Could you not ask them to ask their ins co to cover the extra?
    or is it a way to get you to use their entertainment?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve asked and they’ve said the company need to provide their own.

They don’t have their own entertainment either so it can’t be that.

jota180
    Free Member

try a small local broker [if they still exist]

mrgoll
    Free Member

Sounds like they are trying to get you to get an Events Management company in to run the show on your behalf.

Search the web for “events insurance”.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go somewhere else if they can’t even be arsed …

Basically they are not interested in your business or they’re trying it on just like what mrgoll said.

Don’t support them and let them go … doubt this sort of business attitude will last very long in this economy climate.

NZCol

Have they explained why they want you to hold PLI for that (massive) amount ? If yuo took a ghettoblaster in would they ask for the same thing ? What if yu just played your Harp for the duration of the reception ? Sounds like a somewhat strange request.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s time for a new venue. Ours is being very helpful. They’ve got insurance (as must yours) and are happy for us to bring our own equipment as long as it is PAT tested.

project
    Free Member

Wouldnt they need to apply for a music licence,

Have a performing music licence type thing ,from the performing rights lot, you do for a radio in a shop,

Proof your equipment is safe,eg electrically safe, and your trained to use it,

chewkw
    Free Member

Is your iPod packed with explosive?

cbike
    Free Member

Join a Union – Like BECTU and use their PLI deal. £40 or so quid for a year. If you aren’t really a technician, I wont tell them if you don’t.

Wedding insurance exists.

I bought one day of extra PLI insurance for £50 from my existing supplier once.

project
    Free Member

Is your iPod packed with explosive?

It may start a fire, or somebody falls over the cables, you may even set fire to the place, like a chap did in cheshire and damage cost 6 million to repair.

chewkw
    Free Member

project – Member

It may start a fire, or somebody falls over the cables, you may even set fire to the place, like a chap did in cheshire and damage cost 6 million to repair.

Crikey, in that case those people are doomed if they get married.

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s Manchester Town Hall…which explain the huge amount.

Too late to change venue.

They’re not trying to pressure us to use any company…we have free choice of all companies we use, but any electrics need pli & pat certificates.

I’ll have a look for some myself then. Thanks

maccruiskeen

It may start a fire, or somebody falls over the cables, you may even set fire to the place, like a chap did in cheshire and damage cost 6 million to repair

I heard about that, something about Two mass fires, yes! One hundred stories high, People gettin’ loose y’all gettin’ down on the roof – Do you hear? the folks are flaming, Folks were screamin’ – out of control. It was so entertainin’ – when the boogie started to explode I heard somebody say…….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M[/video]

If its a council venue that explains it. About 10 years ago councils everywhere seems to suddenly get frothy about PI insurance, and the frothily doubling and doubling the amount of cover they required people to carry. In a great many instances they ask for cover when they shouldn’t. The other problem is they can apply PI stipulations to situations that insurance brokers don’t sell insurance for

In the scheme of things £5m isn’t an unusually high requirement and in terms of premiums theres not really that much in it whether you cover for £1m, £2m or £5m. The requirement won’t be specific to you or the venue or your event, the council will just have a blanket requirement for anyone undertaking work in any council premises. It can seem pretty ridiculous- I built a big exhibition in a museum, apart from the typical risks of damage or injury to people and property I was undertaking construction work amongst priceless art collections, handling yet more art that was on loan to the museum, and carrying out the work in listed building with priceless decorative surfaces and was required (quite rightly) to provide £5m or liability cover. once the show was up a lovely old lady was invited to give a talk about it – she was also required to carry a £5m policy, for one off talk she was getting paid £20 for. Exactly what you can say in 40 minutes that can incure £5m of losses to life an limb i’m not sure. Perhaps issue a fatwa, or utter the fateful words “watch this!”

On the PAT front it might make life easier to use hired in equipment, its the record keeping thats important, not just the wee green sticker, so aside from the testing and labelling you have to create paperwork for each item. The cost of getting stuff tested would probably be equivalent to the hire price anyway, the hire co should have PI cover that could be applied to the event too

grum
    Free Member

However most of the companies hiring equipment on this basis don’t carry PLI insurance themselves.

What kind of hire companies don’t have PL insurance? I organise some events on council premises etc and we always have to supply copies of the PL insurance documents for every supplier and stall in advance of the event

br
    Free Member

Have they explained why they want you to hold PLI for that (massive) amount ?

Its not massive, pretty standard.

Our PI (and liability) business cover is only £20 a month, and we’ve more than that. I’d ask them who other people have used, if they know?

NZCol

I said massive on the incorrect assumption it was a wedding venue not Mancester Town Hall !

Del

PAT testing should cost the thick end of f*** all. a lot of fire/security companies do it, as do sparkies. it’ll probably cost you more to get someone to show up to do it than actually do the work and provide the associated paperwork.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Public Liability Insurance’ is closed to new replies.