Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA Frozen Planet: the global warming epsiode
  • kimbers

starting now

the torygraph have been bitching about this episode for a while

stick it to em atters!

matt_outandabout

oi, you can’t park a sub there! 😯

mikey74
    Free Member

It didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know did it?

druidh
    Free Member

Look at how wonderful this place is.
    I hope humans don’t spoil it.
    Think yourself privileged that you’ve been able to see me come here.

That sort of thing?

I do find the whole style of these things a bit hypocritical.

P20

Love the fact that the old boy beat the scientist. Though he did miss one in 1985 😆 😆

The program does make me want a bigger tv and hd though 😈

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Beautiful programme as always – but where was the controversy kimbers?

GrahamS

Brilliant series and I thought last nights programme was excellent and quite eyeopening.

Not sure what the controversy was either?

I missed the first 10 mins but in the bits I saw I don’t think he said anything about climate change being manmade – he just talked about observable changes and the effects it was having.

alfabus
    Free Member

Not sure what the telegraph were complaining about, but I think that there have been accusations of censorship in the US because they are ‘choosing not to show this episode’.

Dave

druidh
    Free Member

Yep. The US and others have bought rights to show the whole series – except this episode.

GrahamS

The US and others have bought rights to show the whole series – except this episode.

😯

Really? That is quite mental and very depressing.

druidh
    Free Member

I guess that, on principle, the BBC could have refused to do the deal….but I guess it has to pay for further exotic adventures.

alfabus
    Free Member

the official line I read was that that episode was optional because it contains a lot of sirdavid talking to camera, and in a lot of the world (US included) they don’t know who he is.

Apparently some of the footage was merged into the previous episodes, but obviously not the monologues about climate change (I haven’t seen the episode yet).

Dave

MrsToast
    Free Member

Apparently they are going to show the ‘controversial’ climate change episode in the US, but it is causing quite a stir. :/

They’re also replacing David Attenborough with Alex Baldwin on the first six episodes. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? Why would you replace the man who coined the popular name ‘Titan Aram’ for the Amorphophallus titanum, because he felt that repeatedly referring to the ‘Giant Mishapen Penis’ in Latin wouldn’t be appropriate?

kimbers

very depressing! druidh

i agree teamhurtmore all seemed blindingly obvious truths to me ,

plenty of people disagree
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8940694/Frozen-Planet-episode-seven-BBC-One-review.html

prezet
    Free Member

Beautiful programme as always – but where was the controversy kimbers?

I think it’s down to showing how much the ice is actually receding, compared to a decade or two ago. I was actually quite stunned/shocked.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wow – kimbers, that DT article is really struggling to find something interesting. Either incredible chippy or uninspired. When the talk was of controversy, I was expecting DA to come out strongly on the man-made causes. In the end apart from genuflecting to the altar of the BBC’s agends with the cut to the oil rig, it seemed very balanced and informative with the odd bit of humour as well. Booker and the DT have made some useful contributions to the climate debate but like most things they take their points too far and trying to attack this programme merely makes them look a little silly imo.

alfabus
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore – agreed.. if it hadn’t have been in the telegraph, and he hadn’t admitted to being a ‘natural sceptic’, I would have been hard pressed to tell whether they were for or against theories of man made climate change.

They seemed to be complaining that he was balanced, and then criticised him for giving credence to someone who isn’t a scientist – surely from their sceptical point of view that was a godsend, and they could have used it to assert that scientists don’t know best.

Dave

mefty
    Free Member

It is amazing how people comprehend the same article differently, I don’t think read as a whole there is any criticism of the programme and at the end he was only highlighting an irony – not criticising.

scaredypants

Amorphophallus titanum

only a matter of time before there’s a bike frame with that on it

Junkyard
    Free Member

Booker and the DT have made some useful contributions to the climate debate

yes like STW shows us daily it is amasing how some ill infomred politically motivated individuals can help move a debate along and help us find truth 🙄
    Scientists have made useful contributions polemicists have not really but they have managed to confuse , befudle and convince the ignorant so job done I suppose.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – it took you an hour to bite!! I threw the Booker comment in for a bit of naughty fun – you must have guessed that from my posts by now!! I was worried that it was a bit too balanced to cause a reaction 😉

Bit disappointing that the Durban conference is having such little coverage anywhere – I was looking forward to some cheeky climate debates. Booker did try to ignite something two weeks ago by misquoting a recent report that questioned the impact of man made activity on tornados (I think) but not even that caused a murmur!

Junkyard
    Free Member

* shakes fist*

I think none of expect our politicians to achieve anything tbh even if there was unanimity about AGW or anything else for that matter as they are basically shit. I suppose as much chance of accord between politicians as between forumites.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I think we should fire the worlds leading politicians into space so they can see how thin that atmosphere is then refuse to let them back onto the planet until they agree to sort it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – you are too pessimistic. Merkozy have just issued a statement explaining why atheists are so angry. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

there is a height joke to be made there but tbh I am not going to bring myself down to that level

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – I see that Chrisopher Booker tried to make an issue of the program in today’s ST, but never really seemed to be going for the jugular. Probably ‘cos there was so little to get aggitated about. Unlike him to be so calm in his CC reporting though!!

OOI – is there “any” validity in his comments on the Antarctic Penisula (genuine ? BTW!!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/8947796/Frozen-Planet-gave-us-beautiful-images-but-an-unbalanced-picture.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA Frozen Planet: the global warming epsiode’ is closed to new replies.