Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • PSA Channel 4. 9pm tonight.
  • jonba
    Free Member

I wasn’t a fan of the BMX vid, looked like a great trailer to get you interested but never really got had any “wow” momement.

I could have watched that guy skate for the whole program. I agreed with the guy they interviewed when he said he wasn’t interested in “Skating Culture”. I get the same from mountainbiking videos. I know massive drops/jumps and tricks are impressive but it’s people who do something a little bit different (at the right time) who are really pushing the sport. I’d sooner whach Danny Macgaskill than a typical freeride video.

I liked the trials video especially the wire ride. I like the flowing style and the way most of it looked like he just rocked up and rode it on a normal days riding.

The free running stuff was pure cheese but had some of the best wow moments. The Blue guys massive jump was pretty spectacular.

One of the few programs I’ve watched recently that had my undevided attention. Good stuff, hopefully will inspire some people. Certainly wish I had some better trals skills.

gil_

So good to see Bob Haro, that guy is a legend

Looking a little older now but the “godfather” of it all, guess Go-Karting still makes a little money

jam-bo

the documentary about making the films was far more interesting than the actual films…

D0NK

skate one seemed to be trying too hard, multiple boards setup bits “now watch me do this great trick” yes I know all the vids were setup and scouted for doing stunts but DM and flatland ones made it look like they were just out doing what they like to do.
    Liked the barbican one, that blue guy’s flip….wow, skate guy was better in that too, him and bmxer spinning at the end, cool.
    DMs wire ride had my jaw dropping.

peachos
    Free Member

i was a bit disappointed with all of the end products. not taking away any credit from the skills that these guys possess (they are immense in their own rights) but wasn’t the idea to produce something truly amazing and different than what has been done before? viral videos are generally low budget, but this lot must have had a few quid thrown at them. apart from the bmx video and the fire they were all fairly bog-standard street sport type films.

the flatlands stood out the most and was the only one which had my full attention. some excellent and creative shots/locations & a very moody feel. but vastly over-produced in the end, but you could tell that’s what it was going to be like by looking at the film-maker’s previous work. i’ve also seen better flatland trickery from 1980’s films.

i really wanted to see more close-ups of how these super-humans bodies interact with their surroundings and tools and some super-slow-motion like you get on Planet Earth etc. the slow motion skateboard tricks in the pool water for example, could have been done so much better IMO. and the fire was a bit of a let down as well…i wanted long exposure shots and a lot more darkness & creativity with the locations, but it just looked a bit fake to me…even though it wasn’t.

but i’m not dissing the programme on the whole – i loved it & just great to watch stuff like this primetime. maybe i’ve just seen too many virals and i was just expecting the ‘next level’ (of editing, rather than skills).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Possibly as Ive seen DM’s other films his new one had less wow factor than the others. Some gorgeous shots with great location/backgrounds, but the wire ride was the only “wow” moment and the similar spiked fence ride in an earlier film had more potential for injury, and he’s also done a similar chain link fence tightrope ride. Sounds like I’m dissing DM which isnt the case, but this film had fewer holy sh1t moments than his others (front flip, loop/whip from riding up a tree etc etc etc)

The freerunners had the most wow factor, the head first roof to roof, and blue’s jump into a pedestrian tunnel landing on a wall were amazing literal leaps of faith and must have taken some guts no matter how much prep and line sighting theyd done prior. Agreed the storyline was cringeworthy, they’d played their hand with the fire, and was the stunt coordinator just being a total c*ck for the camera? “get down when I tell you or I’ll lay you out”, yeah may they’ll listen to you without the macho threats, what with them paying for your expertise and them being, you know, ON FIRE.. 🙄

Liked the use of water and light in the skateboard film, whether or not it was cliche i wouldnt know Ive never watched a skate vid.

I liked the flatland film, didnt mind the floaty effects but thought the initial computer anaylsis stuff didnt fit the rest of the film. Might not have had the most wow but it was a film maker from outside the genre/field trying to do something different, and whether it was contrived or not the director’s comments that the rider had a broken, damaged look fitted with him obviously struggling with guilt at his friend’s death.

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘PSA Channel 4. 9pm tonight.’ is closed to new replies.