Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all
  • project
    Free Member

Well to start a lot of factory production has been lost, due to factories being destroyed, power loss on a major scale, and also loss of a lot of port facilites along with roads and railways.

Then we have the pollution from the burning refineries, and the pollution from the atomic power stations, stand by for the uk farmers to suddenly decide their sheep are radioactive and they need compensation.

Then all the uk companies will use the shortage of parts and stock to increase prices quite dramaticaly, probably on bike gear.

Now Japan are going to pump millions into their ecconomy to help the rebuild etc.

noteeth
    Free Member

There’s the small problem of being dead or injured.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

stand by for the uk farmers to suddenly decide their sheep are radioactive and they need compensation

Any reason for a dig at the UK’s farmers? Last time it was because they were radioactive.

tazzymtb

and the pollution from the atomic power stations,

I wouldn’t worry about that too much, The reactors shut down as part of the standard safety protocol and to be honest will be likely to be significantly less than british nuclear plants let out now and then through poor maintenance

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

stand by for the uk farmers to suddenly decide their sheep are radioactive and they need compensation.

Then all the uk companies will use the shortage of parts and stock to increase prices quite dramaticaly, probably on bike gear.

You need to stop this obsession that everyone is up to no good project, it must leave you feeling very miserable.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Jeeezuz! I thought fannylion started a self-focused thread!

sc-xc

Any reason for a dig at the UK’s farmers?

Probably because he can’t find a way of blaming the public sector.

cheez0
    Free Member

thanks for that insightful analysis, project

No mention of a sushi shortage or a whale boom.

any more stereotyping you can think of?

crikey
    Free Member

Kimono prices up?

grum
    Free Member

My first thought in all this was how will it affect my supply of new xtr. 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Apparently, the price of oil is going to fall because the Japanese can’t refine as much of the stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

….a whale boom.

Relevant.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Is project a journalist for the Daily Mail?

br
    Free Member

When they had the one in Kobe a few years back it caused a supply problem with motorbike tyres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned with the many thousands who have lost their lives than any potential problems with sourcing shiny new XTR.

Northwind

Just in case anyone on here really is that much of a ****, don’t worry, Shimano’s main factories in Japan are in Osaka prefecture so not likely to be severely effected. On the downside though, you will probably always be a ****.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind put it far better than I.

project
    Free Member

There will be a lot of companies having the same thoughts, as above, it is a terribly horrendous disasaster the Japanese have just had, I am truely upset at the loss of life, and homes and dont really feel the need to post that at every chance, i was though trying to make the point that prices of exported/imported goods into the UK may well go up, so buy your stuff now.

Sadly i dont read the Daily mail, and am getting a bit fed up with the uk media saying as far as they know no british citizens have been killed so far, with very little coverage given to the poor japanese that have have suffered such tragic loss.

Philby

Actually the huge investment needed to rebuild Japan’s infrastructure could be good for some firms. In the short term the potential impact on our economy is all irrelevant, as the cost to human lives in the affected areas is immeasurable.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

TLTL project

El-bent
    Free Member

Just in case anyone on here really is that much of a ****, don’t worry, Shimano’s main factories in Japan are in Osaka prefecture so not likely to be severely effected. On the downside though, you will probably always be a ****.

++++1.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well you united the left and right wing of STW with that Chapeau and **** +1 and TLTL + 1

iain1775
    Free Member

There was me reading the CRC credit card thread and someones comment ‘why hasn’t this made the news there must be hundreds affected’ and thinking how can someone be so small minded with everything else going on. Then I read this and all it’s done is confirm my earlier thoughts that some people really do need to wake up and see the bigger picture. Events in japan are tragic on a scale you can’t fathom living on an island that is unlikely to ever know such natural tragedy. Yes it will affect the entire world in many ways and there will sadly be alot of ‘cashing in’ but let’s remember the 10’s if not 100’s of thousand people killed, who have lost numerous loved ones or been left with nothing
    The fact the I may have to pay a little more for some goods is kind of insignificant at the moment

Smarticus
    Free Member

Heard someone on the news describe how when mother nature kicks off like she just did in Japan humans are simple “Ants with cars”. Hopefully we might resemble Ants in scale but not intellect.

franksinatra

There was me reading the CRC credit card thread and someones comment ‘why hasn’t this made the news there must be hundreds affected’

That was me who said that, and I stand by it. It is unfair to link the two things. My suggesting that CRC is a news worthy story does not, in any way, take away from the gravity of Japan or how I feel about it. I am not that ‘small minded’.

Despite what has happened in Japan, local media still needs to report on other stories, CRC is, in my opinion, a relevent story.

Seems to me you are unfairly making a connection where there is none.

burtonsno
    Free Member

i’m not sure if any of the original post was meant in earnest, lets hope not!!!

The moon is nearer the earth than it has been for hundreds of years. Scientists predicted (guessed)that there could be devastating effects. There are also violent eruptions in Hawaiian volcanoes!!!

Luckily, we can still go about our usual business in the rain.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m not defending the OP… but in common with his (many) tirades about the state of the nation, he’s using a sledgehammer to express his thoughts – when a light tap would suffice.

I’m sure he takes the immense human tragedy as a given.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Even the Dail Mail rejects your claim re the moon

However, scientists dismiss this as utter nonsense and that although it makes a good photo opportunity for astronomers it has no impact on Earth.
    Dr David Harland, space historian and author, said: ‘It’s possible that the moon may be a kilometre or two closer to Earth than normal at a perigee, but it’s an utterly insignificant event.’
    Professor George Helffrich, a seismologist at the University of Bristol was equally dismissive.
    ‘Complete nonsense. The moon has no significant effect on earthquake triggering.
    ‘If the moon triggers “big” earthquakes, it would trigger the many of millions of times more “small” earthquakes that happen daily. There is no time dependence of those; hence no moon effect.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1365225/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-Did-supermoon-cause-todays-natural-disaster.html#ixzz1GW5k2SrB

noteeth
    Free Member

Even the Dail Mail rejects your claim

Possibly the most devastating phrase in the English language. 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Oil has actually dropped due to a forecast of lower demand from Japan while they sort themselves out.

But if I’d been given the choice between one life over there and never being able to afford to drive again the choice would not exactly be hard!

Wished I could gone over to help after the 2004 Tsunami and I wish I could now.

project
    Free Member

noteeth – Member
    I’m not defending the OP… but in common with his (many) tirades about the state of the nation, he’s using a sledgehammer to express his thoughts – when a light tap would suffice.

I’m sure he takes the immense human tragedy as a given.

Posted 11 minutes ago # Report-Post

I do take every single death as a very sad thing, ive had enough tragedies in my life in the last few years, and cant even imagine what it would be like to loose your whole family and relatives and freinds along with many you dont know.

Anyone who posts about a relative or freinds death on here im always there to offer condolances and empathy.

My original post was to pre empt what the media will be reporting next week, and possibly for weeks after, and scaring the pants off the general public who want be able to get the latest electronic gizmo, most of which i have no intention of owning.

Also when the media frenzy starts, perhaps just think is your need for a new HD tv equal to the suffering those poor people have sufered in a few hours, esppecially if the prices go up, or their is limited stock available.

Sadly we live in a capitalist world, where credit card fraud is seen as more important than thousands being kiled, where the need for a new tv is seen as a status symbol, again sadly those people who lost their lives will be forgotten,by most just like those that where kiled by nuclear bombs, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Finaly i am for open debate but find the name calling worthy of the school playgroud.

its not, big, clever or even slightly funny.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That would all be plausible if you hadn’t specifically mentioned bike parts.

Kit
    Free Member

Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all

Damn right! Prices of soiled schoolgirl knickers are set to go through the roof. I’m devastated 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Also when the media frenzy starts

we do need more calm reasoned and balanced articles like your OP to stem this tide.
    Not even a good backtrack tbh.

Also when the media frenzy starts, perhaps just think is your need for a new HD tv equal to the suffering those poor people have sufered in a few hours, esppecially if the prices go up, or their is limited stock available

You really did express that sentiment very badly with your opening gambit not least because you forget to mention the human suffering bit and just moaned about the prices of bike bits.
    I have never felt this confident calling BS on here.

Ah, the STW self righteous bullies out in force again for some misguided wording.

FFS, I’m sure everyone is well aware there has been massive loss of life and likewise feel for everyone affected in Japan.

The OP asked a question, can’t someone just give a civil answer on here for once? Maybe it wasn’t the most tactful post ever typed on STW, but I seriously wonder how some of you actually get through life with such fragile sensitivities.

tazzymtb

*puts hand up at the back of class “please sir, I answered sensibly” *

(for once)

bassspine
    Free Member

The moon is nearer the earth than it has been for hundreds of years. Scientists predicted (guessed)that there could be devastating effects.

no they did not.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

but I seriously wonder how some of you actually get through life with such fragile sensitivities.

Oh, does it upset you?

loddrik
    Free Member

Bluefin tuna are gonna sleep a little easier tonight…

nonk
    Free Member

only problem it has caused me so far is having to see your mindless drivel posted on here.
    honestly dont see how anyone can moan about anything small within days of something like this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all’ is closed to new replies.