• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Duc.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Planet X Carbon SL mudguards?
  • seanoc
    Free Member

I've tried SKS race blades and Crud race guards; I can't get on with the floatrub on the Cruds…..anything else worth considering?

I'm really considering sticking my Crud stuff on from my MTB.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a proper winter bike!

seanoc
    Free Member

It is my proper winter bike. It's my proper spring, summer and autumn bike too. I'm not getting the winter bike thing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Winter bike = suitable for winter…i. e. takes proper mudguards! I don't think there's anything else that work, as you are finding out.

seanoc
    Free Member

I'd rather spend £20 on a pair of suitable guards (I reckon my mtb ones will be suitable just not as aero) than a couple of hundred quid on a new bike. Cheers for the help though.

clubber
    Free Member

What was wrong with the race blades? I've been using them for several years now with no issues…

And FWIW, i've found little difference in performance between the race blades and 'proper' mudguards.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Race Blades are good, but if you're not keen on them it's pretty easy to bodge up some full length ones to fit. Cut the front off the front mudguard (unless you've got clearance between the fork and wheel, in which case those Planet X's are worse than I thought) and cable tie them on. I do this on my commuter and it's OK.

seanoc
    Free Member

Clearence between the down tube (the cables at least) and the front wheel is pretty narrow; I've already filed the plastic guard retainer down as much as I dare on the race blades. I find that the race blades slip around a bit on the fork and stays.

Perhaps I could use zip ties but I like to be able to whip them off easily for cleaning…as it's my only road bike.

The crud guards floating thing will just annoy the heck out of me; I've got a 60k round trip and I really don't want that rubbing noise for the whole 2.5 hours.

Duc
    Free Member

Have you got the crud guards fitted right ?
    Unless you have the hearing of a hawk, if they are fitted right then you shouldn't hear them at all in my experince

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe I'm just lucky but my raceguards come on and off a lot because my winter road bike is also my cross bike so when I ride it as a cross bike I take the guards off and visa versa. I use the rubber mountings though I do them up pretty tight to avoid them moving. I can only think of a couple of times that I've had to stop mid ride to adjust them in about 5 years of using them and those time have been when the bike's been leant against something hard enough to shift the guards.

seanoc
    Free Member

regarding the Cruds: I'm pretty sure I fitted them right; spent two hours in my living room last night messing about with them. They just seem too tight on my 24mm tyres and the rub from the brushes is definatly audible. and that's before I've taken them out for a spin on the road.

regarding the SKS: I guess they are okay but they are just a bit clunky; but if there's nowt else then they'll have to do.

anyone want to buy some NBWT Cruds (MKII's)? £15posted

5lab

are you talking about crud roadracers or crud raceblades? pretty different guards (I htink you're talking about the roadracers)

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm the brushes soon wear to the point they don't drag or cause noise (and when I say soon I mean in probably less than 5 miles). Mind you they were never really loud/draggy on mine from the start.

PaulB
    Free Member

Hi,

I used the Crud road blades last winter and agree that you can hear them in the house, but believe me they do become silent. The only issue I have had is the struts touching the spokes occasionaly after it has been lent up on a bush or something and they have got knocked out of line, but very easy to rectify. Personally I would give them a try out on the road.

Paul

druidh
    Free Member

If you're riding fast enough, the wind noise will drown out the sound of the rubbing.

seanoc
    Free Member

Cheers
    I'll give the Crud road blades another go.

Duc
    Free Member

For what its worth I would imagine the 24mm tyres are too wide if you are getting tyre rub. Mine have always looked pretty clos on the tyres with 23C. Don't forget your widertyres will also be marginally taller

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Carbon SL mudguards?’ is closed to new replies.