• This topic has 37 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Fin.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Pipe House Lane Revisited….
  • Fin
    Free Member

So one rainy afternoon – couldn’t be arsed with a long ride and getting soaked through, we deicided to take some bigger bikes out for a play.
    Those of you that know the Legendary Pipe House, were dismayed when it was re graded with scalpings, well the old line on the left side of the gully looked kind of ridable still – and could provide the sort of thrill one used to get….
    We went for a walk and a quick scout saw us moving tree branches and big rocks, we didn’t want to do too much, but just place the bigger items so they fitted – kind of interlocking the big rocks, like stone pitching.
    After clearing the bracken and a huge rotten tree stump, here’s how it looks now.

Please be Warned – anyone wanting to ride this line – it’s for the accomplished rider – if you aren’t sure, don’t ride it. It is still a very technical challenge. I’d advise a walk up it first time and check for new holes, especially after all the rain this weekend. Make sure you scrub off plenty of speed on the run in.

Hoping AnalogueAndy is up to full strength soon and able to ride it again

[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522781_10151211218767119_763222118_11700280_310190542_n.jpg[/img][img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543480_10151211220012119_763222118_11700282_1892173708_n.jpg[/img][img]http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/523919_10151211221047119_763222118_11700285_522512169_n.jpg[/img][img]http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/533047_10151211222167119_763222118_11700291_1436998728_n.jpg[/img][img]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533428_10151211223462119_763222118_11700299_1961926541_n.jpg[/img]

Fin
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

Your privacy settings prevent the video being viewed.

Fin
    Free Member

That working now?

Fin
    Free Member

Saw a rider on a White Hardtail – looked like an Intense and tried to flag him down for a look at the new bit, but he was concentrating on getting home – I guess…..

allthepies
    Free Member

Nope, same problem.

cinnamon_girl

I may put this on my ‘to do’ list but would very much like to see the vid! 😉

What’s the latest news on Andy?

Janesy
    Free Member

That’s looks good, I’ll give it a go soon. What / where do you guys ride after youve done pipehouse? It’s only 800ish meters.

transapp
    Free Member

Janesey, agreed the issue with pipehouse is I can’t link it with anything else leaving me a git of a road climb back over to Bath to get home (live on Bear flat) so often puts me off including it. I’ll
    Be checking out the new line though, good work fellas!!

Fin
    Free Member

Sorry folks

That should have fixed the Vid

Fin
    Free Member

Andy is getting better slowly, but he’s got lots of faffing about until he’ll be right.
    He’s itching to get back on his bike though……..

awh
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to say that after all the recent rain it’s back to its old self!

cinnamon_girl

Pleased to hear that Andy is on the mend. 8)

Er, I wasn’t expecting to see riders wearing full-face so, on that note, I won’t be attempting it. Been looking at mapping software and track descends a couple of hundred feet. 😯

Janesy
    Free Member

Charlmy down airfield is a great decent. Plus you can link it up easily.

transapp
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl, the tracks fine (recently made fairly easy, this is returning some bits to its original state which was bloody tricky but excellent fun) and there’s quite a lot of other stuff not too far away that you can turn into a good ride. If you ever fancy it (ooer) get in touch and I’ll be happy to show you.
    Jansey, googling now thanks.

transapp
    Free Member

Sorry janesy, could you spell it out for me please. How do I link the airfield (which I thought was north east of bath, past the A46) with Pipehouse? Isn’t it about 5/6 miles away? Thanks

awh
    Free Member

Thanks to the discussions about the destruction of Pipehouse I discovered the Twinhoe bridleway which is rather good! I’d ignore Pipehouse go down the BW to Monkton Combe from Limpley Stoke instead.

Janesy
    Free Member

Yeah don’t know why I mentioned that. It’s obviously not on the same loop.
    Just ignore my ramblings.

awh
    Free Member

Charmy Down is very good and worth the hills! If you don’t mind the hills you can make a good loop. Take the BW behind the RUH that goes up to Landsdown race course, cross over the road at the top and head into the valley with the A46 in. When you get to the A46 head up to the airfield and across to the descent. Andy is actually working on getting the footpath round the airfield reclassified as a bridleway. I probably have the route as a gpx if you want it.

cinnamon_girl

transapp – thanks for offer but reckon I would be out of my comfort zone, even on the skill compensator!

When I’m riding again, I might just take a look anyway – moved to Wiltshire last Summer so still finding my way around but it’s easy riding along the K & A to reach it.

fourbanger
    Free Member

“Please be Warned – anyone wanting to ride this line – it’s for the accomplished rider “

Am I missing something from the photos? Nice work on the trail maintenance BTW.

thekingofsweden

Seen any ghosts at charmy down ? I did !
    Old dude on a bike/motorbike no sound and no tyre tracks in the mud by the control tower proper freaked me out during the day no drinking etc etc !!!!
    I found another story on a WW2 website telling the same story.
    That is a good bridle tho but not sure if I fancy heading back there 😎

transapp
    Free Member

I feel a night ride coming on…!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Nice work Fin and co. 🙂 Indeed looking forward to giving it a go 🙂

Re routes which encompass Pipehouse – I’ve got a few, I dig some out and post up some links.

And ‘Shanks’ (Which is what we call the descent off Charmydown).

Cheers C_G too for the enquiry. Head in a much better place now. Improving slowly. Have posted a bit of an update in the ‘they cut my kit off’ thread 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

That’d be great if your could Andy, I’ve got several routes that can end up with me there, but I struggle with where to go next and midford hill is a biatch!

awh
    Free Member

STW forum Pipehouse/Bath ride?

Janesy
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan. I have most of andys gpx files and have done about a few dozen rides rnd bath.
    Wait for Andy to post them up as may be new or different.

transapp
    Free Member

yep, I’m in.

Fin
    Free Member

Alright “fourbanger” mr Big B£%$&%s.
    come on the ride – lets see you hit the new line first time without a pre look

I was just saying – it’s worth a look, more to cover my ass if some Jimmy Big B$^$£%s such as yourself crashes his brains out attempting it….
    Go ahead though mate fill yer boots 🙂

Fin
    Free Member

PS we ride most Thursdays from the Lock inn if anyone cares for a tootle….

captain_bastard
    Free Member

i’d be up for a jaunt one Thursday, keep meaning to get over that way

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Fin – Lock Inn/TT Cycles BoA? Me & Janesy have probably said Hi a couple of times on our way out of Trow’ over that way. Will have to stop and join you next time!

Fin
    Free Member

Yeh – we might look like a bunch of arses – but we are actually quite nice

Fin
    Free Member

Ride starts 7pm but we are quite often late

fourbanger
    Free Member

If I’m not surfing Thursday I’m there. Shall I bring my rigid or the hardtail? How gnar are we talking?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just came across a reminder of what it used to look like.

Good luck with your improvements!

tinybits
    Free Member

So, with the 2 tunnels now open and basically an easy 15mins from the bottom of Pipehouse to the centre of Bath, what’s it looking like now?
    And, is it time for a forum meet up and mince down?

Fin
    Free Member

Looking much better now – lots of scalpings still – but worth a look as the rain has done some lovely work sculpting berms and techy bits

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Pipe House Lane Revisited….’ is closed to new replies.