Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Pickled onions?
  • bradley
    Free Member

It’s a Marmite thing really. Loved by most blokes* and hated by most women. I just munched through one the size of a golf ball given to me at Christmas labelled ‘Blow yer head off pickled onions.’ Home made brand by some friends and I should’ve heeded the label, cue lots of coughing and spluttering.

What are your favourite pickled things and where do you buy them from? I LOVE pickled onions see but there must be other brands other than Garners…

*blokes being those who do not worry about their breath smelling after a pickled something.

Spin
    Free Member

Partial to a gherkin myself.

Kuco

Bloke at work made me some pickled onions spiced with chillies, loverly and hot. He also makes some nice pickled carrots in I think white wine vinegar that are also nice.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just muched a few baby silverskin pickles myself and saw this thread!

Lime pickle with spaghetti bolognese, just a few teaspoons on the side of the plate, mmmm…..

tonyd

Mmm, pickled onions.

Rollmops!

neilc1881
    Free Member

Cowboy Pickles is where it is at, spicy gherkins. Or is that too blatant a plug?

Notter
    Free Member

Pickled chillies, home made, scoffed with a super strong cheddar….. Ultimate beer munch!
    I have 3 jars from last season still in the fridge, I may have to pop out to buy some cheese now!

Stoner
    Free Member

cornichons and pickled herring are my faves.
    and of course a pickled egg in a bag of salt and linekers is standard lunch in the pub.

zippykona

What are the most stupidly blow your head off onions that are widely available?
    Or how about home brew recipes.

stumpy01

Other Half’s dad does rip-snorting pickled onions!

Wouldn’t mind doing that kind of thing myself.

Swelper
    Free Member

Lovely.

Just made some pickled eggs last weekend laced with chillies, cant wait to get dug in. Thinking what else i could pickle. Looking at snails and garlic next

bradley
    Free Member

Just muched a few baby silverskin pickles myself and saw this thread!

Not man enough for a real pickled onion?

I’m not so keen on pickled eggs personally, can manage 1 quite happily when I’m in the mood for it though. Rollmops are another thing, pretty good when I fancy it.

zippykona – blow yer head off pickled onions – try a home brew, it’s not too hard. Add all the ingriedients you want in the pickle first then pour the vinegar over for obvious reasons. I’d go for some decently hot chillis, everyone will tell you scotch bonnets but I’ve got some of these things in my freezer I grew last year that just the vapour will make your eyes water, no clue what they are but caused my tongue to swell when tried with a veg curry shortly after I harvested them. Try going to your local farmers market or the like and take a look at some of the different breeds of chilli there. There’s a massive selection usually (I have about 8 in freezer.) Maybe some spices too, those prickly things you put in oranges, the name has run away from me right now. Black pepper corns, whole. You get the idea. ENJOY!

johndoh
    Free Member

Pickled homegrown jalapeños with star anise.

Me like.

Kevevs
    Free Member

My mam’s always making jars of pickled onions, they’re sooo moreish! Got a bollocking once when I was a kid cos I replaced some pickled onions with Conkers and placed the jars back in the back of the cupboard to “mature”.

jamj1974

Jalapeños, capers and cornichons are things I love pickled in vinegar. Mango and fruit citare picked in oil with spices are in a different league – foods of the gods!

shadowrider
    Free Member

I love pickled red cabbage.

bruk

Mmm must be odd, my wife loves pickled onions but I can’t stand them. She swears by Barry Normans pickled onions, I just swear at them.

spudnick
    Free Member

pickled onions and pickled eggs are ace. FACT

disco_stu
    Free Member

Barry Norman pickled onions are truly a wonderous thing ( you can get them in Sainsburys )

cheers_drive

My wife makes great pickled onions but they are so strong that their consumption is self regulated.

allthegear
    Free Member

My gran used to make picked onions that would have been banned in warfare, I’m sure.

I like one occasionally, if that helps break any rule defined by the OP…

Oh – and the guy that used to do the Film programme on the Beeb, Barry Norman, makes pickled Onions – they’re in Sainsbury’s…

Rachel

rattrap
    Free Member

Nah, pickled shallots is where its at, much nicer than onions!

My great aunt always made the best piccalilli as well, amazing stuff!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Best ones I’ve ever had…. Barry Normans hot and spicy pickles.

Stunning!

rattrap
    Free Member

Following the recommendation on here – I got some of them there Barry Normans hot & spicy pickled onions

bloody hell, they really are wonderful

and the leftover vinegar is the best I have ever tasted for putting on chips!

binners

The only decent thing my ex-MIL did was make pickled onions that made your head go like this…..

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I pickled some Brussel Sprouts over Christmas for a bet. Lots of chilli involved and I’m still letting them mature. Oddly enough no-one seems that enthusiastic to be the first to try……

Gunz
    Free Member

After being given a small smoker by my Brother at Christmas I did a batch of smoked pickled eggs with chillies.
    An interesting flavour and have the advantage of looking like tiny brains in the jar.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

imagine the farts you’d get from pickled sprouts !!!!!!

zippykona

Friends wife does pickled garlic. Truly awful!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Pickled onions?’ is closed to new replies.