Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Petron Lawn Mowers?….
  • Rochey
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a new lawn mower and I’m thinking of getting a petrol one.

However…. I have no clue at all one them, what’s good,bad,pros and cons etc,

I have a medium size garden, current mover (electric) has no issues apart from starting to tire.

My budget is approx £150/200 and I like the idea of a “self propelled” one but as I said, I have no clue.

So can anyone help me out.

scaredypants

dunno these days but 10yrs ago you wanted a Honda engine – everyone said they were the most reliable

FWIW mine’s still running, on no servicing

(no idea re. cost)

easygirl

Cheapest petrol r Honda will be around £280
    4 stroke, will last forever
    The izy models are good, you don’t really need a propelled for a small garden

bikerdan
    Free Member

After our electric mower failed a few years ago we went for Honda Izy. A few different options with it, size, self propelled, etc. May be a bit more than your budget but well worth it.

stufive
    Free Member

you wont get desent self propelled for that money

flip
    Free Member

My business uses Honda mowers, they get more use in a day than most mowers get in a year. I wouldn’t buy any other make they are exceptional. In a domestic setting it’ll last your whole life, money well spent.

mylofitz
    Free Member

Bought a Hayter Harrier about 12 years ago. Still runs well with Briggs and Stratton engine. However prefer my late father’s Honda which runs beautifully and isnt rusty like the B&S engine. Dont skimp on budget and you’ll get 25 years out of a Honda.

Speshpaul

Honda good, B&S good.
    screwfix had a good deal on a B&S mower the other week.

alexonabike

Honda everytime

Rochey
    Free Member

I get the impression “BUY HONDA” OK will look at it.

Where is best to buy???

easygirl

Seddon direct are cheap

russ295
    Free Member

10 year old Honda izy here.
    Never had it serviced but it starts first time even after standing in the shed all winter.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ve got three lawnmowers of various makes (Champion and Sovereign) with Briggs & Stratton 35 Classic engines, all work perfectly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hayter are delicate flowers of lawn mowers , ours was for ever going back ( commercial use on bowling club lawns) we replaced it with a suffolk punch which is still going well doing my own grass.

Our honda was good , used to get 3/4 years out of them and sell them on for about half the price – once the steel deck had been patched up , plastic decks on home use mowers are not a bad thing. Alu even better.

Tbh my parents briggs and straton powered mountfield wasnt a bad thing ,just the self proppelling was slow compared to the honda and the suffolk punch, and really is about as good as your gonna get for your budget.

ski
    Free Member

At work we use Honda’s and after a 8 hour shift, they cope better than the handler 😉

How big is your garden, the electric bosch are very good and very lighter to move about, Mum has a rechargeable version, but might be outside your budget.

marcus7
    Free Member

Yep just got a Honda 537hrx and its brill, you do need a bigish lawn tho!, I’m reckoning it will outlast me!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Lusting after a petrol flymo. Bulletproof!

Rochey
    Free Member

TBH, my garden is not that big, been around the DIY shops today and quite like the Mountfield A454, currently on offer at £199, seems a good deal.

However (don’t laugh) it doesn’t do STRIPS!!!!, I want strips, so that’s not going to work.

The quest continues…………

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Have you thought of getting a used one? Gumtree or even a local lawnmower repairer might have some to sell. My local Auction in Norwich occasionally has sales of the Council’s old machinery. They often have loads of mowers going and they aren’t that bad, lots of choice.

mudshark
    Free Member

I got my Dad’s Honda when he moved to a smaller property, it spent 2 years in a cupboard before I moved to a place with a big garden. Worked no problem ever since without a service, suppose I should check the oil sometime?!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bought a Briggs & Stratton Classic about 5 years ago for £90 from a lawn mower service shop. It was estimated by the shop assistant to be 6 years old then.

I like it, it works well and starts easily

bigad40
    Free Member

Bought a Briggs & Straton something off a mate and petrol strimmer for £100.
    Little rusty but both motors work well.
    We have a large rear garden and I find it therapeutic with massive headphones and rage against the machine on iPod.
    Might try some Jackie Wilson next week…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used council stuff unless fully refurbed ( stihl are good for refurb) usually at the end of its workable ime.

Only used council stuff i saw worth having was hotter than a griddle pan before steaks. Evidently stolen and chap was sent packing. – even had the serials ground off

Used stuff isnt an issue if like most things you know what your looking at.

Petrol flymos rule , ive still got a suzuki engined allen flymo with a medium deck i use for the “wild” garden and the roadside + when im feeling lazy on the main grass – no need to concentrate as it doesnt do stripes like the suffolk punch.

In a previous life one of our guys didnt relise the suzuki engine was 2 stroke and ran it on – few tanks of neat unleaded when i noticed it didnt sound right. – that was many many years ago. – just stuck in some 2 stroke and its right as rain again – can get a rebuild kit for the engine if needs be an all… Classy touch

matthewjb
    Free Member

The izy models are good, you don’t really need a propelled for a small garden

Unless you’re on a slope.

I’ve got the cheapest Izy and a small but sloping garden. It makes the job enjoyable rather than a pain. And starts first time.

I think it was about £260.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

However (don’t laugh) it doesn’t do STRIPS!!!!, I want strips, so that’s not going to work.

You get stripes with a mower without a roller, maybe not as defined, but you do get stripes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Petron Lawn Mowers?….’ is closed to new replies.