Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • People getting banned.
  • akira

Hmmmm seems every post I look at has recommendations for various products from about two or three websites from a particular member, surely plugging a shop or shops in every single post probably means a connection to that shop and breaks some kind of forum rule?
    I work for a shop and if people ask for an opinion on products I don't end my post with, 'available from bikesrus.com'.
    Having a long bad week so slightly narked anyway.

wwaswas

I think he must work for the distributer as he seems to move around a bit in terms of what shop he recommends.

If it bothers you then 'report-post' and let them mods have a quiet word?

akira

Yeah just about to do that, just venting first.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

wwaswas – "…consider it done…" 😉 Really getting on my teets as well…. 😡

wwaswas

actually, I might have done too 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Who's that then? Not noticed myself!

If it's me, I'm gonna feel stupid!

cynic-al
    Free Member

replying to posts and mentioning your product/shop is OK is it not?

EDIT "within reason"

akira

Done, man alive was really starting to bug me, need a cup of tea now.
    cynic-al, within reason is fine, every post recommending a product and namechecking a website is just taking the piss.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Well, at least the mods will get at least two 'recommendations' then, rather than a generic one line response linking to some cyclelife/EBC/Raleigh product… 😉

wwaswas

agree, within reason but if every post is just product placement it gets too much.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I totally agree.

Drink Slurm for its great refreshing taste

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Some people just over do it. It was like last year with the Big Bike Bash

😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

<zombie mode> …must….drink….Slurm… </zombie mode> 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

BBB – In my eyes at least, that's different…..

soobalias
    Free Member

its a brave distributor/retailler that spams stw fora.

the backlash is often very harsh.

muggomagic

You could have reported him a little later. Just typed a long winded reply about putting Stan's in inner tubes and click submit post to find the thread is closed!

wwaswas

not sure the tags are on the right lines?

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm

bristolbiker
    Free Member

^^^^ agreed

theflatboy
    Free Member

i find it a bit rich that the OP of this very thread is flagrantly promoting one of those japanese anime cartoons. i find this distasteful and opportunist.

akira

Hmmm wasn't actually directed at Si, haven't read a Chumba recommendation for a while, maybe he's on holiday.

soobalias
    Free Member

is it proper anime,

the nsfw stuff?

akira

Now I want to recommend Akira as an amazing film but feel it may weaken my moral stance.

soobalias
    Free Member

i know a meatspin link when i see one.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Kinesis 🙂

Edit: Fnarf Fnarf 😉

wwaswas

foxyrider 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

'Goes dizzy'

JonR
    Free Member

The thing about Si from progressive bikes is he pays to have a banner on here (or did until recently) so why should he not bang on about Chumbas? They are frickin' lovely and the next time he's looking to sell off demo frames I hope to have saved up enough to be all over that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its one sthing to say as a public service that your shop has supplies of something the person is looking for as in

TJ
    I am looking for a left handing therblig and can't find one anywhere

a bike shop
    We have one in stock – please email me

I think that is acceptable and is what Si and TBC tend to do

si-wilson
    Free Member

Serious question, do i annoy most STW'ers? I try to be discreet and always put myself in your shoes, as thats were im from so to speak and realise that it can be a bit annoying, so im sorry for that 🙁

wwaswas

Si – I don't think the OP (certainly not me) meant you (unless you also run cyclife/ebc and raleigh?) – I've found you, like most of the bike shops/dealers on here, tend to answer specific product questions if asked and give general advice if not.

It enriches stw, not detracts from it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think there are others that are more obtrusive than you Si 🙂 I never got that impression. Don't worry about it, Yours KinesisBoy 😉

akira

It's a tricky balance I admit, a bit of common sense must be used.
    I think mentioning your shop when posting is fine but posting to mention your shop isn't, if you see what I mean?
    Oh and Si I didn't mean you, I don't mind the occasional relevant plug.

sv

Si – I don't think the OP (certainly not me) meant you (unless you also run cyclife/ebc and raleigh?) – I've found you, like most of the bike shops/dealers on here, tend to answer specific product questions if asked and give general advice if not.

It enriches stw, not detracts from it.

+1

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What wwaswas and akira said – the vast majority of the forum dwellers from shops on here are (fairly!) discrete, helpful, offer advice and contribute to the community (I hate that phrase, but there you go) without it simply being a guerilla marketing campaign. The eedyat acting as a one-man cyclelife/Raleigh marketing vehicle ticked precisely none of those boxes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

akira if you work for a shop why is not linked from your username – I thought this was a gentlemans agreement after the fruit business?

genuine question. 🙂

rs
    Free Member

paying for an ad shouldn't mean you can spam the forums every time somebody asks what bike!

akira

Hmmm was unaware of this, just clicked Si's name and you're right, not sure I'll bother as we probably do alright.
    Also some people might tar and feather me. 😀

ojom
    Free Member

Likewise with Si, if we pee you off in anyway, just let us know to shut up and I will. Don't want to be a PITA 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘People getting banned.’ is closed to new replies.