Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 300 total)
  • PEAKS POOTLE: feb 19th, white peak
  • Pook

Alright all…
    So, after the resounding success of the last pootle , we thought we shouldn’t leave it quite
    so long for another. So, on February 19th, a Saturday, at 10.30 am, we’ll set off from
    somewhere I can’t copy and paste on this phone, but near buxton, and head out for four hours
    of white peak fun, ably led by tandem extraordinnaire jules and the lovely janey mcgee.

As always, social riding with a bunch of consistently nice folks, followed by
    a warm down pint.

I’ll put the links on the thread later. Cheers all!

Chris

poisonspider
    Free Member

Does the pint have to be warm, we up north afterall?

nbt

this is the meeting point, there’s plenty of parking in the layby

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=400860&Y=379900&A=Y&Z=120

Route goes south through Overton Hall Farm all the way to Derbyshire bridge, then over the old roman road into Buxton outskirts before coming back past the White Hall centre and Wythen Lache, round the back of Ladder Hill.

Should be about 4 hours at a social pace.

mintimperial

Argh. I’m supposed, theoretically, to be completing the sale of my house on Monday 21st, so all being well I’ll be lugging boxes and furniture about on the 19th. Having said that, we were supposed to complete on various dates in September, October and November of last year and none of those happened. So I’ll almost certainly still be able to make it…

simon1975

Sounds good to me – will put it in my diary 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

So, after the resounding success of the last pootle

So we are cutting the initial 3 way group split from the annals of history then? 😉

Oh and i’m in. Either just me or plus 1 or maybe 2.

amodicumofgnar

Strictly speaking its the South West Peak see page four. Yes, I have spotted the mistake 🙄

If work doesnt get in the way I’ll be out.

sambob
    Free Member

I can’t not be there considering it’s about a mile and a half from home! That Laybye can get busy, but should be big enough. Which pub after? Plenty of choice 🙂 Glad we’re doing Ladder hill track in the right direction.

Bunnyhop

oldagedpredator – Were you out with the chopper the week before last, Glossop way?

Pook

Jamie, shush. Simon, where’ve you been?!

slowrider
    Free Member

I’m working again, will try and swap though

amodicumofgnar

Bunnyhop – we’re moving stuff to Kinder. I’m only out to get the newbies up to speed on airlifting, once they are then I’m at back at the desk.

Bunnyhop

My nephew was very impressed with the chopper, we didn’t know whether to stop and say hello.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Might be able to make this one,
    i’ve ridden the peaks before so feel confident (quietly), but will be out of reach for my wife, she struggles on the monkey trail at cannock.

nbt

alcolepone, this is far easier than the monkey trail

amodicumofgnar

Impresive is going to be the Huey which should appear early next week.

stumpy01

Oooh, might be up for this…

PaulMc
    Free Member

For once I can say that happily I won’t be able to make this. We will be snowboarding in the Alps 😀

hora
    Free Member

I will see if my knee wants to come

sambob
    Free Member

You know it does Mark.

Pook

Hora, you’ll be fine!

Jamie
    Free Member

I will see if my knee wants to come

I thought northerners were made of sterner stuff?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Interesting… verry interesting…

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ll be in if the weather stays relatively dry 🙂 Haven’t ridden xc for ages so I’m gonna be slow.

Is there a postcode for the meeting spot on Buxton Road? Sat nav seems to prefer that to just a street name.

simon1975

Hi Chris, yes it’s been a while – hopefully see you soon!

BadlyWiredDog

Four hours? Are we walking? Or taking in some interesting diversions, of which there are many… 😉

alcolepone
    Free Member

well, if its easier than the monkey, i’ll see if the wife wants to come too.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s essentially not very techy at all – there’s once bit of rockiness going down the old road into Buxton – loose rocks everywhere rather than steps and stuff and not at all scary – and the rest is very civilised.

I doubt the car park’ll have a post code, but it’s dead easy to find. Head out of Whaley Bridge towards Buxton up a hill – Long HIll in fact, nice road climb – just after the houses stop and the road levels out, there’s a very obvious, very big lay-by on the right hand side.

Oh, and I’ll try and make it if I’m around and funtional.

Bunnyhop

The whole idea of a pootle is to erm pootle.

BWD is correct there is only one loose rocky bit, there is another section near the end of the ride which is a wide track with very, very small drops offs.
    This route was the very first mtb ride I ever did, in the guide book it came under beginners, however some fitness is needed as there are some (we are in the Peaks after all) climbs.
    The Goyt valley is scenic too.

slowrider
    Free Member

not ridden the white peak for ages! im probably overbiked, must pump tyres up to 50psi!

Jamie
    Free Member

not ridden the white peak for ages! im probably overbiked, must pump tyres up to 50psi!

Compared to last months pootle, how rad to the extreme is the route that is being planned for the 19th?

slowrider
    Free Member

didnt you do the beast etc last time? its a lot tamer than that for sure. jules doesnt like em too tech 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

its a lot tamer than that for sure.

🙁

Basil

Hello,
    How open is the invitation?

Bunnyhop

Jamie – its not at all like the last pootle. However if you ride some of the downhills at speed and close your eyes, you’d never know 😉

Basil – Pooks pootle are open to everyone 🙂

nbt

jules doesnt like em too tech

Oi! I resemble that comment!

Acksherly, you’ll find that I prefer tech to fast, but the idea of the pootle is to be inclusive, and not many people really can ride tech…

Jamie
    Free Member

Acksherly, you’ll find that I prefer tech to fast, but the idea of the pootle is to be inclusive, and not many people really can ride tech…

They can carry their bikes though 😉

sambob
    Free Member

(including you Jules) 😉 I’ll be able to see my house from ladder hill 😀

nbt

I’ll struggle to carry a tandem, and there’s no way I’ll be allowed to ride tech on it 😉

sambob
    Free Member

That’d be a sight to see 😆 Which pub after? Shady Oak?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘PEAKS POOTLE: feb 19th, white peak’ is closed to new replies.