• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by thv3.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Passport du Soleil?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Have you done it, and what's it like please.

Ambrose

Ridden the route but not the event. Both are fantastic- top class. More fun than you can shake a stick at I believe. If you like biking, Savoyard food, chairlifts this is the ride for you. I'm planning to go this year if the blummin website will let me register. Grrrr. 🙁

UK-FLATLANDER

Did it two years ago, but only the intermediate length – really good fun, but I would imagine you really need to watch the time for the full monty. Very well organised, plenty of reasonable food and water stops.

woodsman
    Free Member

I've been to Morzine and Les Arcs, there is a real mixture of riding. What would say the ride bias is, xc, free ride DH and climbing?

Savoyard food – found it a bit weird to be honest, I had Perch which I liked, and was the weirdest thing on the menu! , bread, cakes and local honey was all good…what do you recommend for a non red meat eater?

🙂

Ambrose

Local wine and cheese. Tartiflette- mmmmmmmmmmmm!

woodsman
    Free Member

Anymore folk done this?

🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Doing it this year. If you can ride the Beast at CyB, the Skyline at Afan, the trails at 7Stanes or the natural stuff in the Lakes then you'll be fine on the PPDS.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, all firmly in the XC category unless you do the DH options.

Not a lot of climbing, but still enough to warrant a full-length seatpost (I speak from experience).

beanum

I've done it twice but not for a couple of years… The first year we had some early mechanicals and some navigation issues so only did 50km… The second year was just me and a mate, no punctures and we did the whole thing (well except the Torgon loop) and we made it back just in time to miss the thunderstorm..

It's a fantastic event, there's enough pedalling that a DH bike would be a pain, and enough loose steep corners that I wish I had bigger tyres and bigger brakes..:-) The main problem I had was mental tiredness as being focussed on the trail in front of you for so long requires so much concentration..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The main problem I had was mental tiredness as being focussed on the trail in front of you for so long requires so much concentration..

Very true. It's tecnical in different ways. 10-15 mins down a wide gravel track at 30-40mph fries your brain!

Did it last year for the first time, going again this year. Great event, very chilled. Do it! 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

done it 3 or 4 times now. im not even sure the torgon loop is possible if you do everything else.

would need to be seriously going for it/not stopping for food and/or beer.

great day out though, really really good event.

Andy

Torgon loop easy do-able if you start early enough.

(and dont have a Switzerland FAIL moment eh PP? 😈 )

tracknicko
    Free Member

hmmm. ok. not managed it yet, normally get stuck q-ing for at least one lift as well during the day…

Andy

Yup lift queues do make a big difference. Particlarly that big cabel car (Champery?), best go straight throught he town and get on it asap

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh it depends on where you start etc. normally a bottle neck for supermorzine cable (first thing in morn i think) then as you say that big cable only runs once every 20 mins or so right?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and dont have a Switzerland FAIL moment eh PP?

Not gonna happen again. Well, as long as you don't leave us without a leader….. !
    8)

bintangman
    Free Member

to avoid the queues you could start at somewhere like Morgins. I did it a couple of years ago and it was the weekend my riding 'clicked' – riding off the brakes, etc… You can save time by missing out Les Gets, or just do the Pleney back down to Morzine and that would save you some time.

We did it pretty relaxed, doing some of the DH routes a couple of times en route and not doing the whole circuit, and spending some time relaxing with some food and wine. If you enter both days you can afford to be a bit more relaxed about it all.

A bloody amazing weekend!

Andy

Not gonna happen again. Well, as long as you don't leave us without a leader….. !

LOL serves me for bimbling along whilst youse lot rocketed off 🙄

freeform5spot
    Free Member

would be good if you could actually book tickets!

is the registration stuff still down??

did the full lot inc Torgon last year.

well worth it!

IMHO its best to get the Morzine bottle neck over and done with first if you dont fancy queueing for over an hour!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I (poorly) shot and (shoddily) edited a video from 2008 which doesn't show much riding (I was on the bike!) but gives a pretty good feel for the event and what we got up to during the day, including the food stops and scenery!

Awesome event, only marred by EasyJet losing our bikes on the way home (hence the trolley curling).

I'd love to go back but would be tempted to take my DH bike and make a few strategic detours!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Awesome event, definately do it.

woodsman
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies and the vid link! 🙂

huskyboy64
    Free Member

Did it last year and doing it again this year if i can get an entry. Last year was on a 3" travel Giant. But have upgraded to a 916 Lapierre for this year.

thv3
    Free Member

I did it last year.

I really enjoyed it and I would say it served as an excellent "introduction" to the area in general. I did it at the start of a 10 day trip and think it worked out brilliantly.

Would definitely recommend it. There is better riding in the area to be had though, but its aprt of the fun finding it!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Passport du Soleil?’ is closed to new replies.