Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Packing a bike for flying
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Flying on Friday so trying to get my bike packaged up ready. I have an Avenir padded (not much) bike bag and a bike box from halfords. Currently I’m trying to get it all packed into the box and then put that into the bag, but with the frame covered in pipe lagging etc I’m struggling to fit it all in the box, and the forks have to be removed. One wheel at the minute is outside of the box, in one of the wheel pockets of the bag. It also makes it very bulky and awkward to carry.

Is it worth risking not having the cardboard box for extra protection for the forks/dropouts (bike doesn’t have a removable mech hanger so if that snaps it’s a bit nackered)? Ideally there would be a way I could protect the mech hanger area without having the rest in the box. What do you reckon?

kimbers

if you go to a bike shop they have plastic dropout spacers for transporting bikes, speak nicely and im sure theyll let you have some

or just cut a couple of plastic drainage piping and secure with your skewers in the frame/forks

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve already got a spacer for the dropouts, but that doesn’t seem like it’ll protect the mech hanger much as it’s still exposed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wrap the extremities Includng the mech hanger in bubble wrap. Get something in the dropouts to prevent them being crushed

db

I always unscrew hanger and zip tip it and the mech between the rear frame

Various guides on the web if you need them…
    http://www.allmountainventure.com/newsletter/packing-a-bike-for-air-transit/

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah as above, unbolt the mech hanger and put the mech between the stays

_tom_
    Free Member

My mech hanger isn’t removable 😉 thinking I will just suck it up and carry it in the box for peace of mind. The thought of getting to Whistler and finding my mech hanger snapped or forks/head tube damaged is too much to bear!

toys19
    Free Member

This is just a willy waving thread. I’m jealous.

bazep
    Free Member

just use the bag and wrap the mechs in corregated cardboard and bubble wrap. Not sure you’ll fit it in the bag and then the box anyway. Make sure your insurance covers accidental damage.

nigew
    Free Member

Cut a slit in a tennis ball and put that around the mech hanger, then tape up.
    Just use the sides from the bike box and put these in the bike bag before you put the bike in.
    If you use just the bike box and it gets wet theres a chance it could fall apart

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Packing a bike for flying’ is closed to new replies.