Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • OT – Octavia 1.6fsi drinking oil!!!
  • DrP

Already posted on Briskoda, but as they get about 5 visits per year, I thought I’d try here!

I’m sure I’m burning oil somewhere as recently I’m getting through a tank of oil in about 700miles!
    Also, the car seems to be “running rough” – just a bit hesitant at low revs, and idles like a pig!

I’ve a feeling i’ll need to take it into the garage to get it sorted, but wanted to check here as to common problems that I could have a look at myself?

Was planning on taking out the coil/spark plugs to see if there’s a particular cylinder affected (oil residue/burnt plug).
    Any other common sites for oil to be lost from? (there’s no obvious oil leak on the drive etc, so sure it’s not coming ‘out’ of the car!)

Any VAG mechanics/experts here who could lend a hand, it would be much appreciated!!

DrP

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Have you checked under your car when it’s parked to see if there are oil stains? If there are not, and it’s a petrol engine – and it’s running rough, it sounds like oil is getting into the combustion.

1. Gasket issue
    2. Cylinder issue – did you buy it new or second hand. If second hand, botched engine replacement/refurbishment?

greeble
    Free Member

lift the oil filler cap is the oil clean or do you see “mayo”

failing that is there oil on the floor when the car is parked up over night?

if its no to both the oil maybe getting into the cylinder heads

DrP

Bought second hand from dealer – was fine at first, only recently had the trouble….
    Will looking at the plugs give an indication at all??

DrP

greeble
    Free Member

Will looking at the plugs give an indication at all??

DrP

yes they’ll be oily

mav12
    Free Member

any smoke out of the exhaust either when running or on start up what do you mean by a tank of oil ? plug tips should be a light coffee colouor and look dry

DrP

Tank/sump – it’s using all it’s oil up – from ‘full’ on the dipstick to nada!

Oddly – no smoke/coughing from the exhaust…

Thanks for the help so far – will see how the plugs look tonight…

DrP

hora
    Free Member

When did you buy the car, what plate is it and how many miles?

Also post it here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=23&mid=70159

RustyMac

Full on the dipstick window to nothing on the dipstick window will only be about a litre nothing on the dipstick at all will be 4-5 litres which is a hell of alot for 700 miles.

check sump plug is not loose

Check oil filter, if the 1.6 FSI is anything like my 1.4FSI then it will be a paper refill type within a plastic housing near the top left of the engine so shold be pretty easy to see if it is damaged. There is either 1 or 2 o-rings within the plastic housing on my car.

davemcc43

Pidge,

If you promise to go riding with me I’ll take a look at your Skoda!

I’ve just finished rebuilding the suspension on my DC2.

DAVE

DrP

Oh yeah – I never replied!!!
    You around at the weekend?? Sunday eve?? Might be able to get out for a night blast locally…..

DrP

deadslow

Back to the dealer pronto!

DrP

I bought it nearly 3 years ago! Think they’ll be less than interested now!

DrP

wwaswas

DrP not stalking you but were you parked near Stanmer Tea rooms last Saturday afternoon?

DrP

Were you the one looking through the nearside rear window really going for it??

(No, I wasn’t!)

DrP

wwaswas

fair enough. just remember someone loading a commencal onto a smallish hatchback and wondered if it was you.

butcher

The fact that it’s running rough alongside loosing mega amounts of oil, could well indicate it’s near dead. If the damage is already done then it’s already done. But it would be worth getting it seen to ASAP, hoping that it’s something that can still be saved.

deadslow

Sell it quickly! Ebay?

wwaswas

ah, octavia’s not the smallish Skoda. ignore me…

CHB

I have an Audi A2 with the 1.6FSI engine (presume its the same lump from approx 2003-2005?).
    Coil packs are known to fail on these cars and cause very rough idling and the engine light to come on. The coils are a bit tricky to remove (friction fit so you sort of have to wiggle them off the spark plug). If a coil has failed then the corresponding spark plug will be oily.
    Coils are £25 a go, if yours are original then just replace all four as the newer ones are more reliable than the pre 2006 ones.

Not sure why the car is burning lots of oil, my FSI uses maybe a litre or so in 10,000 miles (ie between changes). Could be a serious problem?
    Other problems with FSI’s are Nox sensors, part for this is c£160 but easy to fit.

Ideally you need to find someone with VAGCOM scan software and get the fault codes read. If you are anywhere near Leeds I can do this for you FOC.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s worn piston rings it could affect compression and hence idling, and cause oil to be burned.

However you would expect to see smoke if it were that bad. Or more likely smell it. I had a car that used a similar amount of oil (or perhaps even less) and it stank of burning oil. I got rid of it because I was embarassed as much as anything else. In traffic jams people in convertibles would be coughing and gagging at the fumes.

If a coil has failed then the corresponding spark plug will be oily

How come? You mean oily, or just black and sooty?

davemcc43

Yes Doctor, very unreliable of you!

I am around this weekend but in Winchester and haven’t really got time to come over to Brighton unfortunately.

Are you about Wednesday or Friday next week?

DAVE

CHB

No they look oily (like a west yorkshire cafe spatula) as there is no combustion in the affected cylinder if the coilpack goes. Each cylinder has its own coil. The FSI runs at very high compression ratios compared with “normal” engines.
    They are great engines, but a little high tech for many. My A2 gives 50mpg and goes like stink for a “girls car”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so there’s no combustion – why does that make it oily?

(not challenging, just curious)

wwaswas

the coil’s a bit of a red herring.

if the coils are knackered there will be combustion problems but they won’t cause oil to get into the cylinders in the first place.

glenh
    Free Member

The manual for my 1.4tsi says that it can eat up to 1L of oil per 1000km/600miles. Apparently that’s normal!

edit: although it doesn’t actually use anywhere near that much.

luke
    Free Member

I was just about to post the same thing up to a 1l every 1000k on some of the audi engine’s I assume this would go through the VAG group.

ratadog

Yes, I am familiar with the VAG group’s engines liking for oil. I have a 1.8Tsi and travel with a bottle of the relevant oil in the boot. Goes through about 500ml every 4 months ( so every 4k miles ). Doing slightly better than was suggested it would when I bought it new.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder why.

stuarty
    Free Member

they burn less if you use the recommended oil
    but there still thirsty

as for running rough could be anything from a leaky hose ,coil pack etc
    if no engine warning light on …
    its mechanical with the exception of coil pack and spark plugs
    disconnect the airflow meter an see if its any better
    also check hoses for splits of leaks

boobs

I’d start with basics and have a compression check done. You will then know if the rings/valves (poss head gasket) are buggered and can progress to jobs that will cost you money if that is all ok.
    k.i.s.s. never assume..

CHB

DrP: you said you are using a “tank” of oil every 700miles. How much is this? Do you mean a litre?

Molgrips: reason that the sparkplugs look greasy if there is no combustion is because they get covered in petrol, but it never burns/ignites. So I (assume) that it sort of evaporates off due to the engine temp, but leave behind any of the heavier fractions of oil.

molgrips
    Free Member

Compression testers are available in Halfords btw – easier on a petrol afaik because I think you just remove the plugs.

CHB – I suppose a greasy sheen.. I thought you were talking about thick black gunk as if oil was in the chamber.

CHB

Greasy sheen indeed, just like the aforementioned cafe spatula. 😆

DrP

Well, took the coil packs off but my specific socket set isn’t specific enough……. wouldn’t reach the plugs!
    Oh well – will see what the locals can provide!

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

You need a plug socket – available from Halfords.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My Golf TDI did this due to a cracked sump.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

My Mk 2 GTI did this due to valve stem seals. But it was pretty obvious as I practically disapeared when standing for long in traffic…

DrP

Ok, quick update as there’s been useful info posted so far.
    Took it to the garage (ages ago!) and they ran full diagnostics – nil wrong there. They did do a compression test which was LOW in 2 cylinders, but normal on a retest.
    I think, as does the mechanic, that it’s a know problem of vag fsi engines of the inlet valves getting coked up :-/

At the garage we gave it a treatment with wynns injector cleaner spray, and I’ve got myself another twin pack to do at home.

I don’t think this explains the oil guzzling, but I’m sure it’s the cause of the rough drive.
    Ideally I’d like to use an endoscope to look into the inlets, as removing the head will be timely = pricey!!

So, anyone down south fancy cracking my head off…..??!!

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If the valves are coking up they won’t be seating properly. Also, this can easily damage the valve seats as the deposits between the valves and the seats hammer into the tolerances a bit. I had a brand new pair of aircooled VW heads set up with the valves too tight and this happened to them…. It also made it smoke, which DOES explain oil usage. Remember the valve guides are lubed by oil, and a poorly seated valve will therefore let oil through.
    To fix it I had to have the heads off (engine out job in a Camper) and regrind the valve seats on my new heads. I can tell you that regrinding valves by hand gives some amazing blisters.

Personally, I doubt very much of some wonder additive will make the slightest difference. Remember that thousands of explosions in the cylinder aren’t shifting it….

My guess is that you’ll be taking the head off to fix it properly in the end, if it is the valves coking up. Personally I’d worry that it’ll damage the head too much to repair of not fixed in time.
    What would I do? I’d get shot of the car, to be honest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘OT – Octavia 1.6fsi drinking oil!!!’ is closed to new replies.