Viewing 40 posts - 9,601 through 9,640 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Define fairier then Ben?

Nice to see dear Nicola telling the rUK that a CU was in their best interests tonight. Put the other way round and that is considered hectoring or bullying. Plus we don’t need people, who don’t understand how currencies work, lecturing us. More hypocrisy and cheesy lines like Alexander being Team Tories. Pity you can’t be straight hey Nicola.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You have often define trident in economic terms and ditto “fairer”.So make your mind up. Anyway you cannot escape the fact that we are all economists since we all have to allocate scarce resources to unlimited wants.

TheFlyingOx

It’s after 11pm and people are running – running! – to register to vote. In our normally apathetic democracy with steadily reducing voter turnouts, that’s absolutely astounding and wonderful.

It’s also indicative of their untidy minds. It’s worth remembering that whether you’re yes or no, your vote will likely be cancelled out by one of these buffoons who didn’t think to register until the very, very last stroke of midnight. I wonder what else has slipped past them unawares whilst they were forming an opinion on the referendum.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The deceit?

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s also indicative of their untidy minds

Ah yes, of course, they’re just untidy buffoons. They’re probably unemployed too. Nothing to do with the fact that people feel disenfranchised and there’s no point being registered to vote when voting makes no difference. Now they’re realising, for the first time in their lives maybe, that it’s worth voting for something.

But hey, easier to belittle people.

bencooper
    Free Member

You have often define trident in economic term

I have, because it is a colossal waste of money. But getting rid of it is a moral issue, not a financial one. Even if it didn’t save us a penny, I’d still think independence was worth it to get rid of the things. They have no place in a civilised country, any more than the death penalty does.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What if they are NO voters Ben waking up to the nonsense being spouted by YS? They had been complacent before (bad mistake) but now realise that sanity must prevail?

I have, because it is a colossal waste of money.

possibly true and a good economic argument – so c’mon be consistent! 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

If they are, then fine – more people caring about how their country is run is a good thing, no matter which way they vote.

However I don’t think they’re No voters, somehow.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Whether we should go it alone isn’t about money. It’s about democracy, it’s about getting rid of Trident, it’s about trying to create a fairer society.

but AS is saying that Scotland will be the new Luxemburg (AKA the richest country in the world) and rUK Belgium

thanks Alex

bencooper
    Free Member

but AS is saying that Scotland will be the new Luxemburg (AKA the richest country in the world) and rUK Belgium
    thanks Alex

I don’t care. A vote for independence is not a vote for the SNP.

Sancho
    Free Member

watching the debate, the statements from the nationalists are the type of thing the nazis were spouting in the 30’s

cant believe I am hearing it,

bencooper
    Free Member

watching the debate, the statements from the nationalists are the type of thing the nazis were spouting in the 30’s

Boom! Godwin. You win the internetz.

epicyclo

Sancho – Member

cant believe I am hearing it,

We are ironing our Tartan Shirts as you speak.

Tomorrow will be Scotland’s darkest hour – Egg Shinty* Nicht.

We have the names of the enemy, parliamentary expenses fiddlers to a man, and we are fully armed with fowl produce.

*acknowledgements to KonaBunny

seosamh77
    Free Member

[Quote]teamhurtmore – Member
    What if they are NO voters Ben waking up to the nonsense being spouted by YS? They had been complacent before (bad mistake) but now realise that sanity must prevail?[/quote]this fair sums up how out of touch you are with what’s actually happening up here!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sancho – Member

HahhahahhahahahahhahahhahHa 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saw the news tonight.

Just LOVED the remark about Scotland being the new Luxembourg. Luxembourg a country based on tax evasion whether that be Germans carrying suitcases of money to avoid high taxes at home or global businesses locating their “brass plate” head offices there to avoid corporate taxes. I don’t have too many good things to say about George Galloway but he had it absolutely right when he said an independent Scotland will engage in a race to the bottom on tax rates which will be to the detriment of the average working person.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    ….I don’t have too many good things to say about George Galloway but he had it absolutely right when he said an independent Scotland will engage in a race to the bottom on tax rates which will be to the detriment of the average working person.

I don’t believe a word Gorgeous George says either, so perhaps you can tell us how Luxembourg’s race to the bottom has been to the detriment of its average working person?

konabunny
    Free Member

So what’s the point of the economic arguments then?
    Whether we should go it alone isn’t about money. It’s about democracy, it’s about getting rid of Trident, it’s about trying to create a fairer society.

because the state can’t help create a fairer society if it doesn’t have any m-m-money!

irelanst
    Free Member

so perhaps you can tell us how Luxembourg’s race to the bottom has been to the detriment of its average working person?

The average worker in Luxembourg has a greater risk of being ‘in poverty’ than one from the UK and more than double that of their neighbours from the other Benelux countries(LU 9%, UK 8%, BE&NL 4%). A single parent in Luxembourg is one of the most likely people in Europe to be in poverty!

Source

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s about trying to create a fairer society

It’s about turning your back on the rest of us in the UK as we struggle to do just that… You do realise the UK isn’t actually full of Tories don’t you?

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s about turning your back on the rest of us in the UK as we struggle to do just that…

We’ve had this argument before. How can we help you? We’ve tried not voting for the Tories, but that didn’t work as Scotland is too small to meaningfully influence UK elections. So apart from that, what can Scotland do?

One thing we can do is show a different way. The reason voter turnout falls year after year is that people don’t see the point in voting. People think that the way it is is the way it always will be. What an independent Scotland can do to help is show the rest of the UK that they don’t have to accept the status quo.

If we can climb out of the crab bucket instead of being dragged back in, we can help others climb out too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t believe a word Gorgeous George says either, so perhaps you can tell us how Luxembourg’s race to the bottom has been to the detriment of its average working person?

@epic
    – George’s comments weren’t in relation to Luxembourg. What he was saying was that an independent Scotland would compete with the UK in a “race to the bottom” in terms of lower businesses taxes and reduced workers rights in order to attract and retain companies. Lower taxes of course means less money for welfare and other social projects. This would be very much to the detriment of the average working person both sides of the border.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    It’s about turning your back on the rest of us in the UK as we struggle to do just that… You do realise the UK isn’t actually full of Tories don’t you?

If the rest of the UK was turning out in droves on the streets, canvassing, filling town hall meetings, and had an actual pro democracy movement, you would be justified in saying that.

But that isn’t happening. All we can hope for is that Scotland’s departure fires up a popular movement to do just that.

It’s in your hands. It should be easy now we have shown how to take on the Establishment in the face of a hostile press and media..

You can be the person to start an rUK democratic movement. Start by talking to your neighbours, and their neighbours. This campaign is succeeding because it has been done person to person rather than relying on the media. When you get the people talking and active in a cause, you get democracy.

Do it instead of blaming us.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This fairer society debate is a red herring, political sound bites.

You create a fair society by ensuring equal opportunity for all, by investing in education and healthcare, by the creation of employment opportunities and allowing your citizens to live safely wherever they are. You cannot and never will create a fairer society by attempting to redistribute wealth via tax policy. If you look around the world you will see that Western Europe has the fairest societies.

Here is a scenario where Scotland becomes “fairer” after a Yes vote. Standard Life relocates its head office to the UK in order to remain regulated by the UK FCA (no Scottish equivalent has been proposed). The majority of the senior executives and their support teams move to the UK. The rank and file employees remain in Scotland working for a service company subsidiary. With the majority of the high paid jobs now in the UK (and the majority of the corporate tax revenue) Scotland is now a fairer place as the gap between the low and high paid has been reduced.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I have, because it is a colossal waste of money. But getting rid of it is a moral issue, not a financial one. Even if it didn’t save us a penny, I’d still think independence was worth it to get rid of the things. They have no place in a civilised country, any more than the death penalty does.

What a utopia the independent Scotland sounds. Having watched and listened to the various debates as an impartial bystander, Ive come to the conclusion, that Salmond should just come out with the truth instead of spouting the endless claptrap regarding oil, the currency, welfare etc.

And that is, in a nutshell……‘We don’t like you and we want nothing more to do with you’!

Which is fine, if not a typical chip on the shoulder attitude…..but an attitude that will affect Scotland for years after his demise, possibly detrimentally. Its a huge gamble!

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    …@epic – George’s comments weren’t in relation to Luxembourg. What he was saying was that an independent Scotland would compete with the UK in a “race to the bottom” in terms of lower businesses taxes and reduced workers rights in order to attract and retain companies. Lower taxes of course means less money for welfare and other social projects.

I could see the value of lowering corporate taxes to a certain extent. Many corporations based in Scotland currently are headquartered in London so pay their taxes there. A lower rate would attract them up here and the total tax take would be higher. I can see your point about a race to the bottom, but I don’t think there is any intention of doing a Luxembourg here.

As for the destruction of workers rights and conditions, that’s really a consequence of the main UK parties being beholden to their large political donors and media barons.

Independence in Scotland will have been won by active participation of the people, so it’s unlikely that there will be the same political will to dance to the corporate tune. I think workers rights will be safer than in rUK.

sadmadalan

Any arguments about workers rights and conditions needs to be balanced as to what a business can afford. We have better rights than the US, India, Pakistan, … Not as good as Germany and France – but look at the issues that are happening in France and the understanding the balance is not right at the moment.

As at all times, nothing is perfect. Zero hour contracts should be banned. The minimum wage should be set to the living wage, this would allow the government not have to top up wages through the tax and benefit system. Which should mean lower taxes. However workers rights in the UK are good and while some demand that we move to a US model, this won’t happen. Our right wing Tory party would be left of centre in the US

But this may or may not happen in an iScotland. Regardless of ‘active participation of the people’ the big contributors to an economy will always have a bigger impact on politics. This is just reality. Ifteh demand on the corporates get too much, then they will leave Scotland and relocate to just over the border.

aracer
    Free Member

Ive come to the conclusion, that Salmond should just come out with the truth instead of spouting the endless claptrap regarding oil, the currency, welfare etc.

Why would he abandon a policy which is working so well for him?

but I don’t think there is any intention of doing a Luxembourg here.

So what did Sir BS mean by suggesting that iS could be like Luxembourg? Oh sorry, I forgot he’ll say anything if he thinks it will win him a vote.

Independence in Scotland will have been won by active participation of the people, so it’s unlikely that there will be the same political will to dance to the corporate tune.

They already are.

bencooper
    Free Member

You create a fair society by ensuring equal opportunity for all, by investing in education and healthcare, by the creation of employment opportunities and allowing your citizens to live safely wherever they are.

That sounds fantastic – now which Westminster party should I vote for to get that?

And that is, in a nutshell……’We don’t like you and we want nothing more to do with you’!

Which is fine, if not a typical chip on the shoulder attitude

Ooh, the irony 😀

It really isn’t about you. It’s about us.

molgrips
    Free Member

How can we help you?

Solidarity.

bencooper
    Free Member

Solidarity.

Ah. So we should go down with the sinking ship instead of getting into the lifeboat.

How can we help you in actual, practical terms?

aracer
    Free Member

Our right wing Tory party wouldbe left of centre in the US

My understanding is that they’re somewhat more liberal than the Democrats!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah. So we should go down with the sinking ship

No you can grab a bucket.

In practical terms, by voting left at the ballot box. How many Labour party members will be lost, incidentally? As opposed to voters?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

And that is, in a nutshell……’We don’t like you and we want nothing more to do with you’!

You really haven’t engaged much in the debate if you really think that’s what it comes down it.

You create a fair society by ensuring equal opportunity for all, by investing in education and healthcare, by the creation of employment opportunities and allowing your citizens to live safely wherever they are.

All things we’ve been doing in Scotland while folk in Westminster seem to be doing the opposite by invading foreign countries, hiking up tuition fees and laying the groundwork to selling off the NHS.

In practical terms, by voting left at the ballot box. How many Labour party members will be lost, incidentally? As opposed to voters?

And we do vote left all we like but it’ll only help if a majority of the folk in the rest of the UK do the same.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    “How can we help you?”
    Solidarity.

Solidarity involves you actually doing something we can participate in.

What actions have you taken for democracy this week? Point us at the democratic movement in rUK. The nearest thing I can see is UKIP

athgray
    Free Member

Independence in Scotland will have been won by active participation of the people, so it’s unlikely that there will be the same political will to dance to the corporate tune. I think workers rights will be safer than in rUK.

Is it contempt or apathy that nationalist feel towards the UK workforce? It certainly is not a sense of solidarity.

This shows that nationalists really do feel different to everyone else in the UK despite claims to the contrary.

molgrips
    Free Member

Standard Life relocates its head office to the UK in order to remain regulated by the UK FCA

This is an interesting point. There are companies in Scotland serving the whole UK who would quite possibly lose 90% of their business if it cannot be exported. So they would have to move.

Has this been taken into account with the economic forecasts?

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    How can we help you?
    Solidarity

apparently, you’ll be getting all our high paid jobs, don’t think we can do you a better solid than that! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

What actions have you taken for democracy this week?

Um.. what? Why do you ask?

I’m not talking about individual campaigns, I’m talking about general elections. You can join in that, if you’re part of the UK.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Point us at the democratic movement in rUK. The nearest thing I can see is UK

bingo!

Viewing 40 posts - 9,601 through 9,640 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.