Viewing 40 posts - 9,321 through 9,360 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • Northwind

There certainly are people in Scotland who don’t like the english. But we love the welsh and the irish and we’ll be leaving them too. How very english it is, to think a debate about the future of the UK is all about englishness 😉

epicyclo

fasternotfatter – Member
    Some would call it a fact that Scots are more welcome in England that the other way around. Don’t try to deny the anti English element in Scotland. I have experienced it first hand.

Might be worth trying speaking with less volume and not treating the natives as if they are ignorant peasants who should be honoured by your presence, and you’ll find the “racism” just melts away….

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, because im sure if you walk into a pub in Rio de Janeiro on the night Argentina are playing, you’ll find all the Brazilians cheering for the argies…

Yet if you walk into most pubs in England when Scotland are playing you won’t find all the English cheering for whoever Scotland is playing. Which makes your point about Brazil and Argentina even more irrelevant than it was anyway.

konabunny
    Free Member

Yet if you walk into most pubs in England when Scotland are playing you won’t find all the English cheering for whoever Scotland is playing.

I would imagine that’s usually because whenever Scotland is playing, either England is also playing or there’s a more interesting match than another Scotland vs Moldova nailbiting 0-0 game.

the parties in charge of the a Better Together campaign don’t like the implication that things at the moment aren’t brilliant and need radical change.

…and the parties in charge of the Yes campaign aren’t proposing radical change. in fact, quite the opposite – they are desperate to persuade the electorate of the high degree of continuity that an iScotland will see.

epicyclo

rene59 – Member
    And here we go right on cue…

Yup, the excuses are being prepared right now.

“The silent majority were scared to vote because of gangs of tartan clad Saltire waving woad faced egg hurling Yessers crying Freeedommm!”

Whereas the silent majority are the lost readerships of the daily papers and have become Yes voters.

onehundredthidiot

Fasternotfatter, I lived in Essex and Hampshire for 4 years in that time regularly came up against a lot of anti Scots jibes. Was even helped out of a couple of very sticky situations by members of the Royal Scots.
    Strangely never had a Scottish banknote questioned.

athgray
    Free Member

Seeing as people from both countries hate each other so obviously it’s probably best to go our separate ways.

Where as Scotland currently stands as a country united?

piemonster

jambalaya
    Free Member

I saw the entire bar cheering on the other team, this doesn’t happen vice versa.

@faster
    In fairness no one would bother watching a game Scotland were involved in these days and the other team wouldn’t need our support to win handily anyway.

Sorry that was too easy 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

egg hurling

@epic
    the individual concerned slapped the egg hard onto the guys back, it was very aggressive. He then sloped off with his head down. He wasn’t trying to make a political point it was an outright aggressive act to intimidate.

athgray
    Free Member

It’s not the egg hurling that I worry about most. It is shouts of traitor and quisling that are more disturbing.

oldnpastit

Isn’t Panama actually a tax haven? Is that the reason it has all these lovely stable banks – they get vast inflows of dollars from people who would rather that the IRS not get their hands on it?

Does that point the way to how iScotland’s financial services would be heading?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fasternotfatter’s last trip to Scotland wasn’t a huge success

konabunny
    Free Member

egg hurling

shouldn’t that be “egg shinty”?

bigjim

some really nasty stuff going around facebook and twitter from the presumably unofficial yes side at the moment! didn’t think it would get this bad/low level. wonder if there will be arrests? feel sorry for the motherwell security guard!

I predict world war 3

blurty

I’m broad English and work in Glasgow a couple of days per week, and Bike, Ski and Climb in the Highlands 2/3 times per year as well. Been doing this for 20+ years

I’ve never experienced any grief/ Racisms whatsoever. (& I can’t say the same for North Wales!!).

mt
    Free Member

Here at the Free Yorkshire campaign we’ve been very careful with who we call foreigners for the fear of being labeled racist (not from gods country). So far we have not got involved in the Free Scotlandshire debate as we’d not like to have our own arguments undermined by taking a sides. However we’d fully support a free Scotland if you’d take a certain Mr G Galloway back to Dundee.

bencooper
    Free Member

some really nasty stuff going around facebook and twitter from the presumably unofficial yes side at the moment! didn’t think it would get this bad/low level. wonder if there will be arrests? feel sorry for the motherwell security guard!

Links?

Meanwhile:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/yes-campaigners-attacked-by-mob-outside-tynecastle-1-3527125

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben, I know you are trying to provide some balance but it’s clear the majority of the nasty stuff is coming from the Yes side.

Northwind

Well that’s shit, Stewart’s a mate of my dad’s, hope he’s OK 🙁 Nice feller.

<edit- Jambalaya, it’s not clear at all, what’s your basis for that?>

whatnobeer
    Free Member

@ben, I know you are trying to provide some balance but it’s clear the majority of the nasty stuff is coming from the Yes side.

He says without as a shred of evidence.

I guess we should maybe ask why the Yes side are so prominent and so passionate? Maybe if the same could be said of the No campaign they might win a few more votes.

bencooper
    Free Member

It really isn’t. Apart from Jim Murphy, have any other No campaigners been attacked? I haven’t heard of any. While Yes campaigners were attacked at Tynecastle, and No campaigner was arrested a couple of days ago for kicking a woman in the stomach.

Then there’s the online stuff:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BritNatAbuseBot

Sadly I think it’s only going to get worse as desperation creeps into the No side.

ninfan
    Free Member

Meanwhile:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/yes-campaigners-attacked-by-mob-outside-tynecastle-1-3527125

Well, I’ve just watched that video twice and it doesn’t seem to support the claims in the article whatsoever 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Meanwhile…

…more evidence of deceit and hypocrisy relating to central NHS argument coming to light today. So was the DO a client of weight watchers too or was it really just the 5:2 diet

piemonster

Salmond, he’s not all bad. He cares about the common folk.

image by piemonster, on Flickr

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben so Yes backers get the Twitter abuse the No do ? I will stand corrected as I am not following this as closely as you are. To be honest I am ready for it all to be over, my great fear is that Yes or No we’ll be hearing about this for years to come.

I also don’t think there is any reason for the No campaign to be desperate, I don’t think the Yes will win.

bencooper
    Free Member

@ben so Yes backers get the Twitter abuse the No do ?

I don’t think there’s any sensible way to measure and quantify online abuse. From what I see, the abuse directed at the No side generally seems to be about hypocrisy of politicians, criticism of campaigns, things like that. Whereas the abuse directed at the Yes side is generally more obscene comments, swear words, sectarian comments, and frequently invokes Godwin’s Law.

No see the polls relentlessly moving against them. They also see a much more vibrant campaign than their own, with window posters all over the place and loads of campaigners out on the streets. That’d worry anyone.

imnotverygood

Or perhaps it just means Yes are getting desperate as the relentlessly moving polls still aren’t likely to show a vote in their favour on the day. Despite all the internet attempts to talk up their side I still haven’t met any Yes supporters who really think they are going to win.
    I notice from one of the other threads that there are quite a lot of people saying head says no, heart says yes. I suspect the vast majority of those sort of folk will go with their head come the day.

bencooper
    Free Member

Maybe. The last week feels like a watershed, though – more and more people (me included) are now beginning to believe we might actually win this thing.

piemonster

Overall, the polls have barely moved.

Erratic results pop up for both Yes and No. The narrowest lead recorded this year was 3% back in April and again in June.

The last high Yes poll is only relentless progress if you ignore the polls before it by the same Pollster. Although the nature of polling a rare event makes them questionable in the first place.

Well see soon enough, I’m quite interested to see just how many of the “missing million” participate. Looking likely that they’ll be the ones to swing it now. And I’m still surprised that the in-house poll of big issue sellers didn’t result in a Yes majority,

aracer
    Free Member

Really Ben?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides/poll-tracker

Looks like the latest Survation poll is showing support for no at its highest in the last 6 months apart from immediately after Sir BSs disastrous first debate. Several of the rest show support for no over 50%. Which poll is wings for Scotland are you relying on?

piemonster

Huh. Might explain why No keep banging on about currency.

What impact will the currency announcement have on how you plan to vote?

If it’s accurate that is. Not sure I remember seeing this before.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Maybe. The last week feels like a watershed, though – more and more people (me included) are now beginning to believe we might actually win this thing.

This – exactly this.

piemonster

Aye, there’s no denying an increase in confidence amongst the Yes voters I know. Part of the reason I put a cheeky wager on it.

There’s still no shift amongst people I know to Yes. If anything it’s shifted to No, but this is just amongst folk I know. But this group is hopelessly skewed away from having a broad representation of the electorate as a whole.

But those Yes voters I do know, that are more settled and have broader contact across the social spectrum than I. Are pretty convinced on the result.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Staggering to see that roughly 50% think the currency is rel unimportant. Still in the rUK many simply follow what The Dirty Digger tells them too. So another example of how we are not that different!!! People will swallow what they are told without critical assessment. The joy of democracy.

I find it genuinely concerning that the vote is so close, when there is such an lack of substance enormous leap of faith involved. People are sleepwalking towards a real nightmare. The last time I saw such light due diligence was when Freddie decided that RBS should buy ABN!!! If we forget the lessons of history……

oldnpastit

It will be a fascinating experiment in faith-based economics.

athgray
    Free Member

some really nasty stuff going around facebook and twitter from the presumably unofficial yes side at the moment! didn’t think it would get this bad/low level. wonder if there will be arrests? feel sorry for the motherwell security guard!http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/yes-campaigners-attacked-by-mob-outside-tynecastle-1-3527125

Read your link ben, I condemn this completely. There is no place for violence or intimidation, in this instance from No supporters. Having read this I think George Foulkes and previously Salmond could do better to calm the tension.

Scotland is clearly divided, I have always said the result will be close, and that a no vote should not be cause for celebration rather reflection. I think there will be no winners on Sept 18th.

epicyclo

16 days….

oldnpastit

So, if I was thinking of a few days of bike touring, should I strike Scotland off my list of places to go. What’s Holland like in September?

Viewing 40 posts - 9,321 through 9,360 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.