Viewing 40 posts - 9,361 through 9,400 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • scotroutes

Flat?

piemonster

You’ll be ok, just be the right side of the wall before they close the border.

jota180
    Free Member

Well I’ve been in Scotland – mainly Dundee and Aberdeen for the last 5 weeks
    In the bar every night and not heard a single word about the referendum

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Word on the street is that Alex Salmond will be smiling when they results of the latest YouGov poll is published in the morning…

EDIT – Gap is now 6% at 53 No, 47 Yes. From 61 No, 39 Yes two weeks ago. That’s a massive swing.

scotroutes

Down to a 3% swing required apparently.

Of the regular pollsters, YouGov has historically recorded a much bigger gap in favour of the Dependents.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You know something Scotroutes – I can see it actually happening in a couple of weeks and not having to wait until I’m drawing my pension in some far off land.

scotroutes

Aye and the same poll finds that undecided voters splitting to YES by 2-1.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Then there’s the fact the the bookies are shortening the odds too.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s purely maths and liability with the bookies, nothing to do with whether or not one side has a better chance

wanmankylung
    Free Member

To a degree I would agree, but if they’re shortening the odds on Yes and No is drifting they must not be quite as confident in their original calculations as they once were.

piemonster

Now that will be a shift in polling. And from YouGov as well.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with confidence one way or another, the systems set the prices dynamically and it’s purely done on liability.
    Even the very small bookies use a price provider rather than trying to work it out

epicyclo

bloodynora
    Free Member

William Hill…. 7-2 yes 1-5 no…. as bookies go thats whats known as a cert 😉

grahamt1980

1 to 5 on a no vote?
    Yep clearly the bookies are dead sure it will be a yes vote 🙄

piemonster

Don’t suppose anybody had a look at the link before it went all 404

gordimhor

Good to see there is some sense around

SPF Media Release – Independence Referendum

SPF Media Release – Independence Referendum

SCOTTISH POLICE FEDERATION
    5 Woodside Place, Glasgow, G3 7QF

MEDIA RELEASE

The Scottish Police Federation represents all police officers in the ranks of constable, sergeant, inspector and chief inspector, police cadets and special constables, over 18,500 people, 98% of all police officers in Scotland.

To: News Editor
    Date: 1 September 2014
    Subject: Independence Referendum

In response to the suggestion of absolute carnage in and around polling stations on the 18th Sept Brian Docherty, Chairman of the Scottish Police Federation said;

“The independence debate has been robust but overwhelmingly good natured and it would prove a disservice to those who have participated in it thus far to suggest that with 17 days to go, Scotland is about to disintegrate into absolute carnage on the back of making the most important decision in the country’s history

Politicians and supporters of whichever point of view need to be mindful of the potential impact of intemperate, inflammatory and exaggerated language, lest they be seen to seek to create a self fulfilling prophecy”

ENDS

scotroutes

More here
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_psPVLk-8[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, not such a great poster epicyclo. It seems to suggest that people who voted no for devolution are those voting no for independence. I think supporters of devo max would have voted for devolution but not for independence.

In fact, it’s a pretty stupid poster, given that it gives no information, it just tries to manipulate the reader by means of meaningless associations. The kind of poster that really pisses me off actually.

I voted yes for Welsh devolution but would not vote for Welsh independence.

EDIT Scotroutes’ “unbiased” media coverage is pretty awful too. Christ, I’m glad I’m not in Scotland!

athgray
    Free Member

75% of Scots, including myself voted for devolution in 1997, so those warnings about devolution are irrelevant and went largely unheeded. What is offensive is how Yes Scotland seem to have snatched it for themselves.

Northwind

athgray – Member

75% of Scots, including myself voted for devolution in 1997, so those warnings about devolution are irrelevant and went largely unheeded.

I’m not sure I understand your point- the anti-devolution scare stories did go unheeded but the point of the poster is to draw comparisons between the discredited scare stories that were rolled out last time, and the current scare stories. I’m not sure how the electoral shares affect that tbh.

scotroutes

That didn’t work out so well…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder what it’s like being in a country that has a less stable economy than we do?

What was it like for the person in the street in say, Iceland, Greece, or even Ireland?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure I understand your point- the anti-devolution scare stories did go unheeded but the point of the poster is to draw comparisons between the discredited scare stories that were rolled out last time, and the current scare stories.

Pointlessly imo. Devolution was far less drastic, so such drastic scare stories were clearly less credible.

athgray
    Free Member

It is difficult to compare devolution and independence, however Scotland was largely united then, but deeply divided now. I said this earlier but the point seems to have been missed. The poster seems to say that those that voted for devolution, are the same that will vote for independence now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11064572/Nicola-Sturgeon-and-John-Swinney-ask-civil-servants-to-plan-for-No-vote.html

Some lovely quotes in there.

Scottish Mandarins want to return to “normality” after the independence debate and build bridges with the rest of British civil service following allegations they have ‘gone native’ by producing political propaganda for the nationalists…

…“Swinney is very, very keen to be very busy after a No vote in the referendum,” one senior source said. “He is working his contact book quite extensively, speaking to financial services firms and keeping them on board. Nicola Sturgeon is keen to be involved as she positions herself as a successor (to Salmond).

aracer
    Free Member

Senior sources said Ms Sturgeon, who could succeed Mr Salmond as First Minister if there is a No vote

Now there’s something the Yes camp should publicise more.

athgray
    Free Member

I can understand Salmond losing interest if the Scottish people are found wanting, however SNP would have to be included in any decision making with regards to devo max following a no vote. This will help heal any wounds and will undoubtedly help keep Scotland in the UK longer term.

Northwind

athgray – Member

The poster seems to say that those that voted for devolution, are the same that will vote for independence now.

What makes you say that? It’s making a pretty straightforward point about scare stories, it’s not saying anything about who votes for what.

seosamh77
    Free Member

[Quote]however Scotland was largely united then, but deeply divided now[/quote]

It’s no really, there’s a heated debate going on but to turn that into some form of deep division in society is laughable.

konabunny
    Free Member

Aye, there’s no denying an increase in confidence amongst the Yes voters I know. Part of the reason I put a cheeky wager on it.

you and others (possibly me too I struggle with long sentences) have said “aye” on this thread a fair bit. I wonder if some amateur statistician wants to count up all the ersatz Scottishisms on this thread in comparison to others as people try to out-authentic each other. aye, folk, scuppered…

bencooper
    Free Member

Some lovely quotes in there.

Scottish Government is being responsible and planning in case of a No vote. UK Government is doing naff-all planning in case of a Yes vote.

aracer
    Free Member

UK Government is doing naff-all planning in case of a Yes vote.

Because the Scottish government has such definitive plans for that scenario?

scotroutes

I hadn’t realised that the latter two were distinctively Scottish, though I guess I rarely here “aye” in any other context. However, that’s a common use word for me and I hear it every day. I reckon that if you did a wee search on this forum you’d actually see it popping up all over the place.

konabunny
    Free Member

och, jings, I’ll just do a wee search for the ayes, eh?

gordimhor

Michty me KB ye better search for a naw an’a forby aye

molgrips
    Free Member

Aye isn’t a Scottishism, nor is folk or scupper.

Anyway. Isn’t it true that most people would want devo max anyway, so the reason for the deep division is that people are being asked to choose between two less suitable options and arguing about which is closest? Being forced to compromise for no reason?

You want three, but you are only offered two or four and no-one can decide which is closest?

piemonster

It’s ” oh aye” as it goes. Not “och aye”.

One step removed from “ooh arr”

epicyclo

konabunny – Member
    …you and others (possibly me too I struggle with long sentences) have said “aye” on this thread a fair bit. I wonder if some amateur statistician wants to count up all the ersatz Scottishisms…

“Aye” is common usage up here.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,361 through 9,400 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.