Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange EVO8, any good?
  • cornishboy
    Free Member

Considering buying one of these but have never seen one on the trails or reviewed in a mag. Is it a case of a quality frame with lower quality components compared to the opposition? What sort of weight is it and is and is a comfy for an aluminium frame as Orange claim?

el_creedo
    Free Member

I had an Evo2 for years and loved it to bits – bought the base model and upgraded it over a year or two, ended up very, very nice. Light too.
    I did everything on it – heavy XC use, trail centres, urban messing around, races, long-hauls, enduro and adventure racing, even some dirtjumping a couple of times (but I killed a wheel in that process!).
    Great bike – even ran mine with my Marzo Marathons at 120mm and it still handled great.

I rode it at C-y-B with a load of Gletressers all on 5 – 7 inch trail/FR biased bikes and kept up everywhere (oh – and killed them on the ups).

Got a Five now, but i’d still have the Evo back as a second bike if my mate would sell it back to me!

cornishboy
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Anyone else?

flatback
    Free Member

my wife has one its her third bike and she loves hers

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

mine weighs 11.5 kgs. I find it’s not as harsh on the back end compared to my previous ali hardtail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had an EVO2 it snapped:( just where the joined seat stays were welded into the rest of the frame

oldgit
    Free Member

I nearly bought the 2009 frame only, but it was pipped at the post by the latest incarnation of the Giant XTC frame, which Giant now at last seem to have got right for UK racing and trails.
    My pre purchase reasearch threw up worrying small ammounts of feedback on this bike/frame.

cornishboy
    Free Member

Hmmmm, that’s cleared that up then. I’m looking for a hardtail under a grand as that’s the max I can spend on my employers cycle to work scheme. The Focus Black Forest Expert from Wiggle looks tempting spec wise, just thought the Orange would have a better frame.

EvoStick
    Free Member

No, no I wouldn’t get the EVO8…

…I have discovered this hidden gem of speed and strength and want to keep it to myself 😉

Unless you’re doing a lot of jumps I don’t think it will disappoint you – it has great upgrade potential if you want to turn in into a racing machine. Orange repair/replace EVO8 frame for any damage for 4 years after purchase – I wouldn’t worry about that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange EVO8, any good?’ is closed to new replies.