Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Open Pro rim set up tubeless (with rim strip) for CX?
  • barn
    Free Member

Anyone successfully set up an Open Pro rim tubeless using Stans rim strip for CX?

clubber
    Free Member

No but I’m using Halo aerorage rims which aren’t dissimilar with the stans strips. They’re a bit hit and miss to set up but once right, they’re very good and reliable. You need to make sure you get a really tight fit though to ensure it works well.

jumble
    Free Member

Yes. Open Pro and powertap hub. Stan’s cyclocross rim strip. Landcruiser for training, Mud 2 for racing.

Used it for 3 years.

You may have to fiddle with the amount of normal rim tape below the strip. Once set up no issues and no punctures.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got one running ghetto but it was a PITA, I ended up buying stans alphas.

I didn’t try rim strips tho.

barn
    Free Member

…breathes a big sigh of relief and clicks ‘buy’ on the wheel build!

thanks, perfect info.

LS
    Free Member

Stan’s strips + yellow tape, Open Pros and Vredestein Premiatos. Worked first time, great for training on.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

how low can you go with tubeless CX without burping?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Jumble, you use a PowerTap wheel for CX racing? Be interesting to see some numbers from it.

LS
    Free Member

how low can you go with tubeless CX without burping?

Not as low as you can with tubs, that’s why I only use them for training.

Jumble, you use a PowerTap wheel for CX racing? Be interesting to see some numbers from it.

I’ve done the same a couple of times for training purposes. As you’d expect, the variability is high but the NP can be massive (I.F. of 1.1 for an hour’s race) depending on the course.

clubber
    Free Member

I got burping at about 30psi when one was slowly leaking. I’m quite heavy though and usually run 50 – 60psi. I was on 85psi with tubes which was why I made the change to tubeless..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

85psi with tubes

😯

I normally run clinchers at 30-40 and wondered if tubeless can be run at 30.

clubber
    Free Member

I should have added that my pressure isn’t for CX racing, it’s for riding my CX on more mtbish trails which includes plenty of rocks which in turn pinch tubes at anything less than that for me…

jumble
    Free Member

I run 20psi for racing with Ultegra tubeless rims + Stand CX strip + Mud 2. Never had any problems.

For training run 40 psi as my local trails are all very flinty. But the Landcruisers are bullet proof for training in my experience.

Swedish Chef – I don’t have my PT files to hand. Most CX races I now do with the Ultegras and the PT wheel is for training. What in particular were you interested in? The power tends to be FTP then above FTP then FTP then above FTP and repeat until I die around 50 mins and struggle home 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run road tubeless on taped up Open Pros. No issues at all.

I used 3M crossweave tape and Hutchinson Fusion2s.

zilog6128

I’ve run road tubeless on taped up Open Pros. No issues at all.

I used 3M crossweave tape and Hutchinson Fusion2s.
    Didn’t even realise tubeless road/CX was an option!! Did you use the Stan’s kit?

On a related note, anyone used the Piranha CX tubeless?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Open Pro rim set up tubeless (with rim strip) for CX?’ is closed to new replies.