Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • On-One – should they state OEM ?
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

Should have got the forks from me 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dose of MTFU* required IMO!

*not a phrase I use often.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

as for the warranty…

i got some cheap avid brakes online, and there was no instructions or proper box so i'm guessing they were OEM (?).

Anyway, after nearly 2 years they were replaced under warranty without a problem.

falkirk-mark

Didn't read it all but I do not think they can really say x% off if they are OEM because if you bought at full price you would expect all the gubbins (i.e you ain't getting a say £600 fork). However at that kind of reduction surely you must expect it to be OEM.

theflatboy
    Free Member

no issues with warranty – sale of goods act protects you under contract with retailer anyway.

james
    Free Member

"'well it doesn't say it does come with one either' "
    They haven't advertised them as coming with them, so why should they come with them?

"that the ad should probably say OEM"
    Who says they are OEM? (Original Equipment) Surely that implies they have been split off a new bike? I would have thought they just bought them (as other bike manufacturers do) to build into new bikes and as they also sell components online, are selling seperately as well?

"dont get it – they're the same fork not in a box?"
    "I'm also intrigued how an OEM Fox fork is 'inferior'. "
    +1

"could find you have a very limited warranty or none"
    No you don't get a Fox (2 year?) warranty (which they seem* to blame you for not servicing, even if you have), but as with everything else On-one (the retailer) have to give you (presumably 1 year on forks?) a warranty of their own by law. I'd guess they'd just refund rather than replace if it came to that (assuming they'd run out)?

theflatboy
    Free Member

they have to give you a warranty as long as you'd reasonably expect such forks to last, so well into 3 or 4 years+ for mechanical failures.

69er
    Free Member

Stop whingeing. You wanted cheap forks, there has to be a compromise.

And grow a set!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Reminds me, I must watch lock stock again(2m 55s on), gold plated Roll's anyone? 😉

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

My aftermarket Talas did NOT come with a pump – not all forks do

daveplanetx
    Free Member

Its a good point and we will change our descriptions in future to state forks come without pump .

To put this in context , Rob was trying to find a solution , if we had fox fork pumps in stock we would have simply given the customer a pump on the spot . But we dont have them so couldnt do that .

A refund was offered if the customer wasnt happy, this is usually a good starting point .

Bear in mind also – this happened at 3pm on a Friday afternoon , I dont believe any appointment or phone call was made (could be wrong) – but at the time we were absolutely flat to the boards trying to hit our 3-30 despatch time for all orders despatched (so all guys in warehouse are flat out) , plus we have Rob / Adrian / Jon rushing trying to get their cars loaded up ready to leave for Dalby forest at 16.30 to get there for the evening race , two guys already at dalby so were down on numbers anyway , and one off to do london marathon sign on – Caroline desperately trying to get out the door because shes going horse riding , and me trying to get a friday afternoon flyer to take my kids to the psalter tavern for friday evening tea time . So maybe we were just caught out and our customer service wasnt as accomodating as it could be (though not sure we could have done much more ?)

So whilst customers certainly have the right to collect things from us , and we do love to see them , under the circumstances I dont think our customer service was terrible .

And FWIW I missed my tea with the kids at the psaler as i didnt get out the door till 5pm , Rob / adrian / jon ended up there till 18.30 and are finally en route to Dalby – so just sometimes vistors are slightly less welcome than other times – but if this is the reason for shonky customer service then we apologise .

PS – Im more than happy to buy you a Fox pump so mail me at dave@planet-x-bikes.com

As regards warranty , these Fox forks are OE , well warranty them no problem , weve been around now for 10 years plus and should be for 10 more – so should be around longer than the lifetime of a pair of Fox forks.
    I believe weve been in business for a lot longer than Mojo so you might perversely argue that a warranty with us has more merit .Though maybe not .

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I Don't think you need to explain Dave, most people would realise anything 1/2 price in the MTB world would be OEM.
    I once had an issue with a big retailer that stated the blurb from the manufactures website, but the forks turned up with a steel steerer rather than alu & weighing a hell of a lot more, but I think everyone knows that the top 3 or 4 cheap sites sell OEM.

Have a good night, don't spend your weekend defending the impossible.

Cheers.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

The thing about planet-x/on-one is that it usually comes right in the end. I had a minor disappointment with them over a top my missus ordered for christmas. Long story short: they did us proud in the end.

theflatboy
    Free Member

can't really argue with any of that from the D-man, tbf.

never had a problem with customer service from those fine chaps – even got a phonecall the other week as the first person to order off the new look website, to check how i'd got on 😆

justa
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply – I was not meaning to start a witch hunt, I was interested to hear other opinions on the matter.
    I did make an appointment but as a customer I am not supposed to know all the issues you raised above. I did not post this in order to get a pump – more to highlight my disatisfaction at the customer service and the incorrect advert.
    I have a stressful job and am not able to make excuses.
    Thanks for the reply and I am pleased that you will change the advert.

pastcaring
    Free Member

🙄

Tiger6791

I like On-One, have bought a few things, they seem like good guys.

I've read your post and I will still buy from On-One, they seem like good guys.

When those Whippet frames coming out, I need one! (if it doesn't come with a free laptop and rolex and your advert doesn't state this I promise not to post a message on an internet forum)

aracer
    Free Member

Fox retail forks come with a pump, pretty much everyone knows that.

Well I certainly didn't. I've bought 3 brand new retail packaged (ie not OEM) air forks and none of those came with pumps, and nor did I expect one. Not really sure what I'd do with 3 shock pumps if they'd all come with one either – I'd much rather pay a bit less for the fork than pay for something I don't need because I've already got one.

Ford cars come with tyres fitted, if I turned up at a dealer to pick up a new car, and found that the tires wasn't included in the deal they had given, I would be pretty pissed off.

Not at all a comparable situation. People don't tend to have a set of 4 brand new tyres sitting at home already when they buy a new car.

daveplanetx
    Free Member

the incorrect advert i can understand

But saying the customer service was bad isnt really a fair criticism , im not sure what more could have been done and as far as I know Rob was extremely accommodating, and Adrian perfectly polite just stating the forks dont come with a pump , possibly you could argue a touch of sarcasm in his "it doesnt say they do come with a pum" , and that finally Rob after asking me said if you were unhappy you could have a refund but we couldnt do anything further .

We are not making excuses , just stating what was going on , and the customer service was ok and reasonable as it stood even without all the stuff going on (that you didnt need to know about) , with everything going on the customer service was actually very good IMHO .

Im sure that you appreciate that whilst you have every right to go onto a forum questioning shoddy customer service standards , we have a right to reply . We do make a fair few humdingers and dont always get it right , but honestly in this case customer service was not an issue at all .

Jason
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn't expect to get a free shock pump with a suspension fork. I have bought several forks over the years, some on bikes and some by themselves, and have never received a shock pump with them.

On a similar note Planet-X didn't include a free track pump with the road bike I bought from them, how am I supposed to adjust the tyre pressure? I haven't used it for the past six months as both tyres are flat.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Dave, the weekend has landed, please fall short of making a t-it of yourself, no one has argued since your last post, your winning 😉

justa
    Free Member

ok Dave we will have to agree to disagree.

i have never questioned your right to reply on here.

I don't think there is any point taking this any further – you have admitted that the advert could be clearer – thanks.

The young lad – Rob ? was excellent and I did state that – Adrian on the other hand was not polite, helpful or accomadating – quite the opposite in fact.

I do however, understand you supporting your staff – I would support mine.

Once again thanks for the reply.

Alb
    Free Member

"dont get it – they're the same fork not in a box?"
    "I'm also intrigued how an OEM Fox fork is 'inferior'. "
    +1

Take apart some oem Fox forks and give the lowers a yank/twist at the dropouts. Then strip the same 'aftermarket' fork, do the same and then tell me there's no difference.

They look the same so they must be the same, right?

justa
    Free Member

oh and kona ona – i disagree, there doesn't have to be a compromise.

The ad should have clearly stated no box, no pump OEM.

Simple.

james
    Free Member

"tell me there's no difference"
    No difference in what? Torsional resistance?
    Why do you have to take them apart to do this 'test', if you tried it with the forks assembled (you would ride them assembled?) is there no difference?
    I'm interested as to the actual differences (and how to tell) rather than trying to disagree that there can be no difference as well as why fork manufacturers would seemingly go to such 'effort' to make OEM forks so much worse without any hint that if you buy 'aftermarket' models then they'll be better than ones you can buy supplied as part of a complete bike?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Sound like a great bunch of guys at on one – anyone can get caught in a bad moment. I've visited my local shop with whom I spend regularly and been left standing around because they're busy/having a mare of a day, it just happens (we all do it!)

Mister-P
    Free Member

At that price I wish I needed a new set of forks. I already have a shock pump.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Oem forks can be diferent to general sale forks and the name usually leads you to that conclusion. Specialized for example use OEM fox forks that fit the geometry of the frame they are fitted to, same with Gary Fisher and their G2 technolgy. This can be so that the brand can cut costs For example asking for 1000 fox f90 forks but without lockout to save money.

But On-one where selling Fox 32 140 RL, which is exactly what you got, not a fork that was specially adapted.

The whole pump argument in my opinion is a waste of time as you have just saved £400.

I would like to say i've had 5 plus frames from on-one, and placed countless orderes with them and always even with daft queeries been really pleased with their service and willingness to help, thats why i go back and recommend them.

hora
    Free Member

OEM forks can also have a steel steerer even though (for instance) 454 Pikes are supposed to have an alu steerer as I found out once.

If its got a steel steerer its a 426.

TBH partly On One is in the wrong. They SHOULD state this on their website, its obviously to people in the know that they arent a Fox outlet and would have bought a joblot from somewhere.

Justa, they still have to front any warranty work though- so at least you have that positive.

Regardless though it should come with a pump as even bikebuilds using these forks would have the pumps. The ad should state this very clearly that there is NO pump included.

hora
    Free Member

Ps. Luckily you didn't buy a Rockshox though. At least Fox's work.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I wish they had some 29er fork options for me to choose from, OEM or not! Rigid carbon is too much like hard work round here 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Still a bloody bargain though. Justa you big whinge.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Those forks in the classifieds yet?

hora
    Free Member

dibbs

Pauly

454 Pikes have an alloy steerer and a hollow crown. OEM Pikes do not, and as a consequence are significantly heavier.

Bike manufacturers will ask fork manufacturers to bring in OEM forks at a certain price so they can price the complete bike at a certain price point. *edit* The consequence of this is that the OEM product will be down-specced in some way.

OEM product is not the same as boxed after-market product a lot of the time.

Also, in my experience all air forks have come with a pump, be they Fox or Rockshox. Not bought OEM forks though, and seeing as they're usually bought because they are cheap then MTFU and buy a pump for £20.

convert

I recently bought a pair of non OEM Rockshox forks (though sent them back) and they didn't come with a pump.

The concept of OEM products having a different spec to the after-market product is an interesting one. I have a pair of OEM Air U-turn 454 pikes that have an alloy steerer and weight exactly (within manufacturers tolerances) what the RS website said it should, so to say that ALL OEM kit will be significantly different is miss-leading. I have not stripped down 2 pairs next to each other to compare the quality of the bushings etc though. However, if a fork for example bought on a complete bike is significantly different to the "standard" fork with the same name (inc code – e.g. Pike 454 or XT M772), surely this constitutes miss-selling? If not it must be damned close. I guess the definition of the term "significantly different" is a vague one. Also, most manufacturers put out some guff about changing the spec of their product without notice which probably covers this by the letter if not the spirit.

I have less of a problem with buying standalone OEM products that vary slightly from their full after-market cousins as the difference in price normally makes it worthwhile (as long as you know what you are buying I guess) but it seems to be a bit naughty when buying a full retail price complete bike. If it is true that some OEM products are identical to the after-market product and some are not, it makes it even more confusing for the purchaser.

khani
    Free Member

iirc, the only difference for oem and aftermarket fox forks is the lowers can be a different colour (to suit frame colours) and rl's were oem only on early models. there is no difference in internals and no difference in crown/steerer materials
    dont see the problem myself

hora
    Free Member

Agree but the "454"s I bought definitely had a steel steerer. Thats significant and a mis-sell. Apparently they came on a Marin. As yes, the whole point of 454 over 426 is the steerer and crown.

khani
    Free Member

rockshox can be a bit tw***y with that, misselling imo

fubar
    Free Member

On-One – should they state OEM ?

yes, but so should Merlin and CRC and…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘On-One – should they state OEM ?’ is closed to new replies.