Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Old style On-One ScandAL 29er – Help.
  • bigsi
    Free Member

I’ve just finished building up a 2nd hand one of the above and on fitting my Thomson seat post i noticed it was a bit loose!

On closer inspection i can see that the seat tube of the frame flares out once it is below the top tube & where as i can get the seat post to stay in place where the collar is the bottom of the post still knocks around in the frame at the bottom.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem & how did you over come it?

Cheers all 8)

tk46hal
    Free Member

I have several Scandals and I’ve never heard of this.
    Are you using a 27.2 post and a 31.8 clamp?

boxelder

Same combination here and while it can slip if I grease it, there’s no play that I’ve noticed.

bol

😯

I hope that wasn’t the consequence of my fat arse sitting on it. I only rode it for a couple of months!

Seriously though, I never noticed any movement. Would a longer post be any help?

Oh, and did you get the pink nail varnish I sent you? 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

It looks to be a manufacturing thing as the seat tube below the top tube appears to be a larger diameter than above it & its all round the tube that it gets larger!

Not sure if a longer post would help as I’m already running a circa 400mm Thomson jobbie, might try a shorter one that ends before the tube flares out too much. 😕

The post i’m using is definatly a 27.2 & I’m sure the clamp is the correct size (came on the frame).

Don’t worry bol its definatly a manufacturing feature & yes i got the nail varnish cheers, although the other half is still not convinced its for touching the frame up 😆

wwaswas

Si – my GF Ferrous was internally butted – only the top 15cm of the seat tube was the right diameter for the post – after that the rest of the post was redundant, really. Never had problems with the post knocking on the seat tube, though.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Luke. I’m sure it’ll be fine but I’m a “bit” heavier than you so it’s more of a worry 😉

shaggy

Thomson posts have a bit of a reputation of being under size. Might be worth trying another seat post to see if that works.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Shaggy I’ll give that a go 8)

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Have a look here, was talking about this earlier:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/seatpost-slip-problems

I reckon I’m going to have to get some of that 0.1mm shim, and start selling strips of it on here for 99p posted!

bigsi
    Free Member

I’ll take a strip if you do please 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

All this talk about it, so I decided to actually try and fix it.. Result is that an cheap redbullalike can is actually about 0.1mm thick, and the (undersized controltech) seatpost is now snug. Will see if it holds up at the weekend.

You can spend that 99p on a refreshing drink now Bigsi!

bigsi
    Free Member

Yay 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Old style On-One ScandAL 29er – Help.’ is closed to new replies.