Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 236 total)
  • obesity, discuss.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Just got home to find embarrassing bodies on. They seem to be dealing with larger folk, which got me thinking. Obesity do you think it’s a disease? discuss……….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just as well your name is teadrinker.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate who’s skinny and his mrs isn’t, so I don’t think you can catch it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think threads about obesity might be a disease.

emma82
    Free Member

Fridge pickers wear big knickers?

Junkyard
    Free Member

in some cases it may well be but the vast majority is caused by eating too much.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

this guy has an interesting take on it.

Myself I believe its more complex than that – the food companies increase their market share by making foods we get addicted to – sugar salt and fat and then carb loading them – but hidden sugar and perhaps fructose play a large part. we have a much higher calorie intake than our ancestor but dont lead such active lives

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

by definition it is a disease by that doesn’t mean that you should feel sorry for them does it?

5thElefant
    Free Member

by definition it is a disease by that doesn’t mean that you should feel sorry for them does it?

I’m curious how stuffing your face could be defined as a disease?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mental disorder of varying degrees of severity imo.

So it depends on your definition of disease.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

a disease is just

a medical condition

supertramp
    Free Member

I think, no I KNOW, that his is far to complex an issue for such a simple debate! And it’s potential to offend makes it to sensitive an issue for forums like this one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Define medical?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Interesting…

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
    2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
    3. Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble.

So it falls into 2. A disease just means “not normal”.

So 24hr soloists are deceased.

EDIT: 😆 I meant diseased.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So… in America normal people are diseased and chubbies are normal?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of people fail to deal with lots of issues. This particular group of issues has a very visible symptom, so people who are more fortunate point and laugh.

Poor show.

I’m curious how stuffing your face could be defined as a disease?

When you know that eating too much makes you fat but you either deny it to yourself or just can’t stop anyway, this is mental illness territory. Like alcoholism any other substance abuse.

toppers3933
    Free Member

cant type, eating.

5thElefant
    Free Member

When you know that eating too much makes you fat but you either deny it to yourself or just can’t stop anyway, this is mental illness territory. Like alcoholism any other substance abuse.

I’ll buy the mental illness thing.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I think if you’ve got yourself so massively fat and physically unable through overeating to carry on a “normal” life, there must be a psychological problem driving it. Which makes me feel sorry and empathetic for that person and wonder how they can be helped.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

FWIW all the people I know who have problems with their weight are eating too much sugar..

Not necessarily stuffing their faces. Fruit Juice for example, worse than Coke IMO.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

If it is a disease or a medical condition it was not present in Belsen.

If calories in are more than calories burnt you will become fat, fact.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

We have a woman at work who moans on all day bout her weight.

brakes
    Free Member

I once ate 17 slices of pizza at pizza hut in one sitting
    some of them were deep dish 8)
    no salad

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I’m mentally ill and I’m fat, I think the two are separate things for me.

I’m mentally ill(bi-polar) cos I am. I’m fat cos I eat too much,live a really disorganized, sat down playing the guitar all day, scoffing pizza etc.lifestyle and like beer.

Might just be me that tho’ tbf.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

get behind one at the supermarket till and be amazed at the sheer amount of ‘treats’ they load onto the conveyor. Not a vegetable in sight, coke by the gallon.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There weren’t any alcoholics there either.

Just stop drinking you pissheads ……… no one’s that thirsty ffs.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I am, it’s all the salt in the pizza and chips.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Obesity is very complicated and there are many factors that cause it

molgrips
    Free Member

Stupidest post of the day, well done.

If calories in are more than calories burnt you will become fat, fact.

And the least well informed! On a roll, aren’t we?

Btw it’s calories STORED that’s the issue. There are other factors at work besides how much exercise you do, which is obvious from looking at skinny lazy over-eaters.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Several causes several reasons.

Severally over weight people, I think is more of the metal illness issue, alcoholic type mechanism.

Moderately / slightly over weight (most people), I believe is partly a cultural / society type thing. This idea is based on the fact how much more common being over-weight is in this country compared to many others.

molgrips
    Free Member

True. Doing the iDave diet (and learning about why it works) teaches you a lot.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers molgrips, knocked you off the top of the podium for once. 😀

Good night, need to sleep to burn some calories off so im not a fat fuc4er when i wake up in the morning.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There’s not much to know. We’re designed to eat plants and animals which are to hand. We’re also designed to gorge on rare hard to find stuff…

Funny how rare hard to find stuff (in nature) is what sells. And makes you fat.

theotherjonv

genuine question –

is it better to be an overweight but physically active person (ooh, let’s say for sake of argument a middle aged mtb’er who might be carrying a few pounds extra but can easily knock out a 4 hour cross country ride)

or-

someone with a BMI right in the target range but who doesn’t do any significant exercise and can’t run for a bus without getting out of breath.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

the first I would expect

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you think?

tazzymtb

5thElefant
    Free Member

The correct answer is “the one that is happy with their self-image”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm well it’s not just about self image is it?

Most people when feeble and poorly at age 65 due to poor diet and lack of exercise will wish they were healthier earlier in life, I would imagine, regardless of how happy they were at the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘obesity, discuss.’ is closed to new replies.