Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nokia N79 Active – Sport Tracker….Any good?
  • Looking at changing my mobile soon and was going to get an iphone….so i could make use of the Trail Guru app……but then i saw this new Nokia…..with the added heart rate monitor and sports tracker software…..

It seems to be to new to register on any of the service provider sites yet….any one know if it will be available in the UK…..
    Anyone use Nokia sport tracker….is it be any good…..

Nokia N79 Active

bent_udder
    Free Member

I’ve been using SportsTracker on an N95 for a while. Flatteringly, it reckons my morning off road ride on a singlespeed is at an average of over 20Mph, and is 17 miles long. It’s neither, I can assure you! Running is also problematic – I thought I’d get a better track off the GPS moving slower, but no go. This is in an area of good coverage, so AGPS should help out.

The N79 is a newer phone, so it may have a more accurate GPS unit / better software. I was thinking of getting the N79 Active if it ever launched in this country (it may do tomorrow – mobile phone companies love quarterly launches) but bear in mind you may have to get locked in to a longish contract to qualify for this phone FOC.

funkynick

I’ve got a 6210 Navigator and use Sports Tracker quite a lot, and have found the accuracy to be surprisingly good for a mobile phone! It’s had it’s odd funny moment, but then it’s a phone with a GPS tacked on and slung into my pack along, not a full on GPS strapped to the bars, but I’m more than happy with it…

You can’t really use it as a GPS and follow a track, although you can get software, ViewRanger, which does do this…

allankelly

I like it. I used it loads when I first got it (not your phone, but it’s a Nokia N82 brick). I found out: switch on Sports Tracker then use the app-switcher to start Nokia Maps. Voila! You track your route and have a decent live map too.

Cheers, al.

funkynick

The latest version of Sports Tracker has a map in the background now, although I’ve not tried doing anything fancy with it… like zooming out and stuff..

ml
    Free Member

I’m running Sports Tracker on an N95, with latest firmware and the latest version of Sports Tracker, and reckon it’s pretty accurate. I’ve heard TrailGuru and the iPhone application can be a bit flaky (from true Apple fans). Go with the N79.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

The N79 looks like my perfect gadget, an all-in-one. Had Nokia sports phones before and looks like the N79 Active is the latest, metal casing etc. I’ll be getting one when my contract runs out in October 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

I have the N78 and use SportsTracker. It’s pretty accurate – it matches both my Edge 305 and Geko 301, but gets a quicker fix than both due to AGPS. The rest of the phone is pretty good too – camera, WiFi, music player etc.

windyrich
    Free Member

I use the sports tracker with my E71, especially on night rides so that if i have an off and knock my self out the missus can find me. It seems to be very accurate to me. We did a test using the phone in live mode and a laptop logged onto the sports tracker web site and it was spot on. Even more scary was that we were in a secure building looking at it in the satellite mode and when zoomed right in, it had us in the exact corridor. I normally mount mine on the stem using a bit of old innertube as a case and a couple of bits of velcro. like the way of a night you can have it all backlit showing your speed, time etc. and a map of where you are and take calls on loud speaker. Oh and it’s free to use on my tariff….

snaps
    Free Member

Mate of mine has the E71 & recons the Sybian OS to be far better than the battery hungry MS based systems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nokia N79 Active – Sport Tracker….Any good?’ is closed to new replies.