Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • night riding with night vision goggles?
  • wors

Has anyone tried it?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Aren't they very expensive, very heavy, and take large amounts of power?

wors

just asking if anybody had done it.

awh
    Free Member

I had a pair in my drawer for a while and often thought about using them for a night ride! Problem is, NVDs tend to have a narrow field of view. I've watched military pilots flying with them and they have to move their head around continuously to see everything.

Sounds like a good idea for an MBUK article though!

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Rubbish depth perception apparently

awh
    Free Member

They are expensive but Russian technology is bring the price down. The best devices are limited by US expert control. Power is drawn from std batteries, the device I had took either AAA or AA. Overal not very heavy but feel it after they've been hanging off your head for a few minutes!

grtdkad

Would you not be at risk of serious eye discomfort if you met LEDs/HIDs of bikers coming the other way? Apart from looking even more of a tw@ !

abs6pk7
    Free Member

+1 grtdkad…………lol

samuri
    Free Member

The special edition of Modern Warfare 2 has a pair of working night vision goggles in the box. When they start putting them in with games you know the expense threshold has been crossed.

awh
    Free Member

Would you not be at risk of serious eye discomfort if you met LEDs/HIDs of bikers coming the other way?

I would hope device would have some sort of max. intensity output so this didn't happen. The image would probably saturate first, you wouldn't be able to see anything and you'd end up in the bushes!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

The special edition of Modern Warfare 2 has a pair of working night vision goggles in the box.

I can't wait for the next special edition that includes a Desert Eagle !

coatesy
    Free Member

Friend of a friend tried it apparrently, didn't make it out of the car park before crashing into a large gate.

crazy-legs

Depth perception on them is rubbish and it's quite a narrow field of view, a bit like looking through a toilet roll tube. You have to keep moving your head, scanning everywhere which really tires your neck muscles out and although they're nowhere near as heavy as they used to be it's still a lot more weight than an helmet mounted light.
    Any bright external light and they 'back off' for about 5 seconds until the optics sort themselves out again. So they're useless if you meet any traffic or even streetlamps.

For low level night flying though they're ace!

fontmoss
    Free Member

There was a story where i grew up of a couple of pilots taking a set off base and charging about in a very nice car at night with no lights on. Sounded ace fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘night riding with night vision goggles?’ is closed to new replies.