Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • nice hotels in scotland ??
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

being scum my idea of posh is a bnb – afterall its a step up from the tent …. and even the bunkhouses/hostels i usually use …. i have no idea about good(or even reasonable) hotels ….

i call upon the collective brain !

its missus T-r`s birthday soon and ive been working away alot so i figured id take her away for a nice weekend.

i had craigendarroch hilton in mind – near ballater but its full on the only dates i can do !

they were doing bed breakfast and supper for 169 budget is somewhere round that – maybe 200

we are in the apex in dundee for a wedding on the friday(staying there is out of the question) and would like to travel maybe 60 miles from there ?

date is 27th november

redted
    Free Member

Murrayshall Hotel and Golf near Perth. Lovely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah ive been there before – used to go to the hotwheels pre season shows there

bruneep

budget is somewhere round that – maybe 200

………skinflint and the film star wages you’re on!!.

Cameron House?

Ps
    You get the light ok?

IA

I had a nice weekend in Crieff Hydro, can be a bit full of families depending when you go. Nice area though, for walks, riding and the like. Plus I like the hotel.

hels
    Free Member

I was just about to post Crieff Hydro. You can go for a blast around the tracks at Comrie. Never stayed there myself but bought somebody a weekend there as a gift once and they loved it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at Crieff Hydro and can confirm it’s reasonably decent. The main pool can get busy with kids but there is another spa area where kids aren’t allowed and it was very quiet when we were there.

I’ve also stayed at Peebles Hydro (quite a while ago though) and that was also fine.

It might be worth taking a look at the Luxury Scotland as they sometimes have good deals available for nice hotels.

TP
    Free Member

Pittodrie House hotel near Inverurie if you want something in the NE.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Others on here have said the Moorfield Hotel in Braemar is now pretty good but I have no personal experience.

The Fortingall Hotel in Fortingall is nice but can be a little hit and miss – usually better at the weekends. Very nice small bar with live scottish music on Friday evening.

rabyoung
    Free Member

Cardrona hotel near Peebles always has deals on

rabyoung
    Free Member

or have a look at the Roman Camp hotel in Callander

KT1973
    Free Member

Edinburgh. For that price you’ll get Malmaison or Rutland, maybe Tiger Lilies. Have stayed in them all and they’re nice.
    Balmoral or Missoni if you want to push the boat out a bit

rewski
    Free Member

Malmaison often do good deals online

Waderider
    Free Member

A step up from a tent is a doss. A step up from a doss is a howff. A step up from a howff is a bothy.

You’re missing out on a whole realm of Scottish accommodation with this mention of high falutin B&B/hotel capitalist pig luxury.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

On the banks of Loch Tay with views of Ben Lawyers and serving cracking food – we loved it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/ukhotels/hotelsinscotland/6493069/Ardeonaig-Perthshire-Hotel-guru-review.html

beamers

Try the Moulin at Pitlochry (51 miles from Dundee)

It has its own brewery and distillery.

Mrs B and I had our wedding at The Atholl Arms in Blair Atholl which is the Moulin’s sister hotel. (which would also be in range of Dundee)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    On the banks of Loch Tay with views of Ben Lawyers and serving cracking food – we loved it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/ukhotels/hotelsinscotland/6493069/Ardeonaig-Perthshire-Hotel-guru-review.html

The Ardeonig has gone bust and is boarded up. IMO a good thing as it was an overrated rip-off.

Also IMO stay clear of the Moulin. It looks nice, but since the original owner left the staff are surly and the food overpriced and inedible. Even the beer is not that great now

trail_rat
    Free Member

the moulins a good shout – or not captainmanwearing …

my auntie is a manager in a hotel in pitlochry but iirc its a busmansholiday type place for oldfolks in coaches – might be wrong on that – its been a while haha

waderider – the missus is pretty good usually with staying in bothys and stuff but last time we were away we drove past the big hotels and she did say she would like to go away to somewhere a bit fancier some time. i figured why not – its her birthday after all – i have experianced a fair few supposed 4/5 star hotels courtesy of work and didnt think all that much of them – much because they are all the **** same – just ticking boxes to get the stars as cheap as possible …. – character over facilitys – and by that i dont mean where the rats know your name !

crief hydro only has shit room options left for that weekend afte a quick look – been suggested else where 🙁

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The Ardeonig has gone bust and is boarded up. IMO a good thing as it was an overrated rip-off.

I wondered why the website was down!

We got some deal so the price was okay and included food. Climbing Ben Glas then Lawyers in the snow then returning to a log fire and great food was brilliant. Maybe I was a bit blinkered?! We loved it anyway.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Also have a look at the Hilton in Dunkeld. On the Tay on it’s own estate with a shooting school and LR experience centre. Hotel is meant to be pretty good, the restaurant a bit overpriced but there are plenty of places to eat in Dunkeld itself

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i stayed here years ago and i know it still gets great reviews…

HOME

geoffj

Dunkeld Hilton +1, but the eating options in Dunkeld are very average.
    Couple of nice restaurants in Perth now though.

Hohum
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Dunkeld Hilton as well.

It would only take 15 minutes to drive down into Perth for food as well.

Waderider
    Free Member

I understand fully trail rat, it’s an issue I have with my missus also……… 😥

bi6al
    Free Member

try piperdam lodges near dundee seen them when up in dundee and look first class or st andrews is 20 miles from dundee .

stabilizers

http://www.theauldkirk.co.uk/

I can recommend this for the accommodation and the food. Great!
    Was there last year for our anniversary. We rode the Green Mile on the Sunday. Great day out.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 for the Moulin, an oasis for decent ale in the desert which is Pitlochry .

fannybaws
    Free Member
    CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

fannybaws – Member
    over budget probably but very nice

Aah the Monachyle Mhor. Haven’t stayed there, but the food is fantastic – we use it for special occasions. By all accounts the accomodation is up to the same standard as the food.

IA

Did you phone crieff hydro, or check their website? Their site’s mince. Call them up.

duckman

Terry; Moulin in Pitlochry…own brewery as well and she can get a pamper in the Hiton while you do the brewery tour/Glen Tilt loop. 😀

alanl
    Free Member

Atholl Arms hotel, Dunkeld.
    Stayed there twice last year. Excellent. If you go, ask for a room looking over the river.
    Around £80 for a double B+B iirc last year. Nice village and local walks. My favourite part of Scotland around there.
    Alan.

dh
    Free Member

This place did great grub

http://www.tormaukinhotel.co.uk/

Had a right crap shower though in the room but,I suppose that depends on how much of a dirty weekend you are having…

Apologies for that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Defo the Moulin or Atholl Arms, Glen Tilt then a tour round the Edradour Distillery.

Gordy
    Free Member
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘nice hotels in scotland ??’ is closed to new replies.