Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New frame conundrum – Alpine or Sovereign?
  • Frizzer
    Free Member

I'm considering building myself up a long travel, bombproof, chuckable HT and after much reading on here and elsewhere I think I've now whittled my choices down to the Evil Sovereign and Dialled Alpine.
    I'm just after opinions from people who have ridden them as to which they think would be better suited to me. It'll be used mainly for shortish blasts around the Surrey Hills but also for longer rides and will be my only other mtb to go alongside my 29er SS. I'm 5'11" with 32" inner leg so I'm asuming the new 18" Alpine would fit best (my other bikes have always been 18" or medium) but unsure whether I'd need a medium or large Sov (med = 17" st, large=19" st). The problem with the Evil is that I'll be effectively buying it blind whereas I can pop into Head For The Hills and check out the Alpine.
    The Evil has always been on my dream bike wish list but I'm thinking, from what I've read so far, that the Alpine would be better for climbing and all round riding due to the steeper seat tube. As for cost considerations I can get a new Sovereign through work for £465 which makes the choice even harder.
    So, do I go with my heart and embrace the Evil or with my head and go for the Alpine?

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Evil lovely bike

Frizzer, if the Evil is your dream bike and you can get it for such a good price, those 2 factors probably answer your own question.

If you're still unsure, take Head for the Hill's 18" demo bike for a spin. If you like it (or don't like it) that should probably help you decide. It should also help you determine which size will be best for you.

Last time I looked, the geometries of the Alpine and Sovereign were quite different, so a test ride of each would probably be advised anyway to see if either are what you're looking for. However, I'm not sure if the new Evil empire have changed anything about the Sov since they took over from the previous owners.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign

Frizzer
    Free Member

Cheers Mike,
    I'm going to chat to the guys at Head For The Hills and trial the demo Alpine.
    I've a feeling that once I try it it'll probably win me over!

mildred

I've had both (in fact I've had 2 alpines, Mk1 & Mk2, a Soveriegn and a DOC).

The Evil is a nice bike but I'm 5'11" and 32" inside leg also, and it just felt wrong. That is, with the seat up at the right height for trail riding I felt very much perched on top of. I was very dissappointed because it was one of those bikes I'd hankered after for years. It's also very stiff for a steel frame so didn't give that "steel feel", if you know what I mean. Additionally, you can no longer get hold of the chain tensioners, which unless you want to run the rear adjustable dropouts slammed fully forward, they can move.

I don't like the look of the new ones, they are to the original what the BMW mini is to the original. I.e. nothing like.

Here's my old one:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/evil-soveriegn-frame-with-pics

With regard the Alpine. I've had 2, and still have the Mk2 frame. Quite simply they're a blast; good geometry, compliant ride, and look good. Unfortunately for me, due to a broken back in 2006 that is once again causing problems it appears that my hardtail days are over.

Of the two – Alpine any day and put the difference to a good set of wheels/forks.

Frizzer
    Free Member

Mildred, sorry to hear about your back but thank you, that's exactly the kind of feedback about the bikes that I wanted to hear!
    I'm starting to think that the Alpine is the better bike for the riding I'll be doing. The other Alpine thread that is currently running is doing more to convince me as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a go on both and ended up keeping the Alpine. It is just what feels right. Try 'em both out as everyone is different.

How is that for a bit of vague advice?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i had a sovereign and I've now got an alpine. I just didn't get on with the sovereign.

mildred

Sovereign = marmite

So, who's after a cheap Alpine frame in as new condition????

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New frame conundrum – Alpine or Sovereign?’ is closed to new replies.