Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need opinions (& help) -> Gore Jackets?
  • BMC09
    Free Member

am looking to replace my winter Jacket (Endura Stealth) with a new one, been recommended Gore by a few people, but still unsure.

my stealth has been great but as per the majority of Endura products, is starting to fall to pieces at the seams. :S I’ve ridden in this jacket with just a merino base layer underneath in -5, and base layer+ LS top in last winter’s freeze, was warm enough.

so the question is what Gore jacket to move to? been looking at the Tool as its fleece lined with a vent under arm zips too, also like the look of the Alp-X SO, but not sure whether it’ll be warm enough..

WHYG?

cheers in advance 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve done aaalll the research last year believe me.
    Gore phantom 2 if you can still find one. best cycling thing I’ve bought apart from my bike. Well worth the money imo and I’m a pikey cheapskate. I’m using it with a breathable base layer and a merino jumper when it is proper cold and I’m warm enough. with just the merino I can go anywhere at the mo. with a long sleeve thin base layer I’m fine for the worst of autumn/spring. approaching/leaving “summer” I take the sleeves off. It’s versatile. It’s ace.

shredder
    Free Member

Ive had a stealth , Tool and a Cosmo and whilst these jackets are/look toasty warm. I find them to be too much so ive just purchased the Alp X SO.

These type of jackets are more flexable by just adjusting your base layer/layers.

You end up with a jacket you can wear all year, and of course take the arms off the Alp X and you have a windproof gilet, which is a brilliant garment to have in your kit.

Nice liitle review from Ed @ Great Rock here

They do size up small TG Store has a good size guide im a 40″ chest and usualy a L in Gore but went up to XL

Got mine from Primera using a code on the home page around 30% discount came in @ around £122.

Hope that helps

Rockape
    Free Member

+1 for the gore phantom 2 got mine as a Christmas present from Mrs Rockape and it’s fab. I’ve been very warm lately when out night riding or just a Sunday blast. Like most things it’s getting the layers right. It may feel cool before you get started but once you start to warm its snug. 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 Phantom however it’s not as warm as the Stealth (the Stealth isn’t as breathable), I can only wear my Stealth below freezing but the Phantom is good from +10ish to -5c (although I wear a second layer underneath when it’s sub-zero).

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Phantom for the last year and would recommend it.

It’s a great Winter jacket and I’ve used it done to about -8c with a merino long sleeve base layer and a jersey underneath. On milder days just a short sleeve jersey is fine under it.

It’s not waterproof but I’ve been caught in showers or used it in drizzle and it’s kept me dry.

Haze

I had a Phantom for Christmas too, plenty warm enough on my 2 road rides with just a medium long sleeve base layer underneath.

It’s been relatively mild but I don’t think I need much more if/when the temperatures drop, probably just a heavier base layer or something.

br
    Free Member

I’ve both a Stealth and a Phantom, and when it cold and wet/snowy I use the Stealth – otherwise the Phantom. Two totally different jackets.

my Stealth has been great but as per the majority of Endura products, is starting to fall to pieces at the seams.

A bit harsh, but then I’d probably worn my Stealth 100 times always with a Camelbak – anyway, I took my original Stealth into my LBS (where I bought it from) and asked if they could send it back to Endura to see if they could stick down the tapes/seams. The Owner laughed as it was in a real state, but said no probs. he’d pass it on to the Rep. as he would be in later in the week.

tbh The best I was hoping for was a decent discount on new one, but a couple of weeks later I got a call to say my new Stealth was waiting for me!

So top call to Endura.

And the Phantom is really ‘next-to-skin’, so ought to be a tight fit with only/maximum a base-layer – plus the zip-off sleeves make it good for Spring/Autumn.

wwaswas

Talk to Endura;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thumbs-up-for-endura-customer-service

I’ve got a Gore Tool and it’s a lot fleecier than the Stealth so it can be a bit warm in the spring/autumn when the Stealth is still perfectly wearable.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got an original Phantom Plus which is excellent, just wear next to skin, but it only has one zip pocket which is a bit annoying. Got an Oxygen which is pretty good, slightly warmer than either of my Assos 851s, but obviously sweatier if it’s mild.

jfeb
    Free Member

I’ve had a Phantom and an Oxygen SO. Very similar. Oxygen SO doesn’t have the zip off sleeves and is a snugger fit which I prefer. Wear the Oxygen SO without anything underneath between 5 and 15 degrees, -5 to 5 degrees with a base layer.

cinnamon_girl

Firstly you have to decide whether you want waterproof or softshell. Then how hot/cold do you run.

Whilst the zip-off sleeves sound a great idea, you are still left with a sweaty back so a specific gilet makes more sense. Gore do a very good Windstopper one with a mesh back.

Currently you can get 15% off and if you enter the following code another 15% so 30% discount which is pretty good!

http://www.tgstore.eu
    LOYALCUST2012

cakerider

Got myself a Gore Cosmo at the start of winter and the couple of times it has been cold enough to use it have remained toasty warm.

Recommended.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need opinions (& help) -> Gore Jackets?’ is closed to new replies.