Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • My new 5 Spot
  • Hadge
    Free Member

I've almost completed the build now, just have to replace the RaceFace seatpost as it has way way too much lay-back but it came with the frame and I didn't manage to source the one I wanted until this weekend so it'll do until then. I really regretted selling my Merlin Oreas but that had to go because of an injury and the timing of the sale but the 5 Spot is the one bike I miss riding the most they are a fabulous bike to ride. Totally sorted geometry, fits me perfect size wise and laughs at our weather and is so easy to look after. I'll run the Pushed RP23 for a while and see how it goes as I ran a DHX coil on my first Spot and that felt brilliant on it. I didn't go out build it up light but was pleasantly surprised to see it come in at under 28lbs by some margain. Can't wait for the weekend and give it a proper ride out 😀

stugus
    Free Member

yum.
    🙂
    thats quite a looker!
    where did you get the frame?

lowey

HL-tastic.

Just like mine. I lurve it.

Hadge
    Free Member

I bought it off a guy off the BikeRadar site. I posted a wanted ad on here a while ago and missed out one and then another, the owner decided keep the second his. My mate then saw this on that site and I got in touch with him and hey-ho here it is.

slowrider
    Free Member

thats nice, enjoy! what are the cranks?

stugus
    Free Member

i think I'll be going down a similar route, can't really stretch to a new one.

Do you think a 5 spot will be too much bike for mucking about round trail centres?

coogan
    Free Member

Bosh. They rock. Miss my old HL version, but the DW version is rapidly catching up. Get a coil on it, 5 Spots should have a coil! 😀

Hadge
    Free Member

The cranks are 2010 Deus XC – another bargain buy at £130! The Spot will be a total blast round the Trail centres. I remember seeing a few Spots when I had my Intense and I've always knew they were well thought of. The Intense 5.5 is a great bike but it has to be maintained way way more to work at it's best as the bearings are very prone to sticking when they get dry – then the suspension doesn't work as well. But the Turner is so easy to looks after and our weather doesn't bother it at all. I hoped my Yeti 575 was going be the best of both of those but it didn't turn out that was, still a good bike but not as good as my old Turner.

Hadge
    Free Member

I know coils work well – here's my old one 😀

woodsman
    Free Member

They look better in Black! 😉

Nice bike mister – now don't sell that one again.. 🙂

dano
    Free Member

I have one on order… coming in this week… I then just have to find the coin to build it the way the frame deserves…

coogan
    Free Member

That's better. Coil on my old one and coil on my new one. Air shocks suck. 8)

dans160
    Free Member

That does look nice. Something about the original spots…

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Luvly jubbly!

lowey

I dunno Vosh… I changed my romic at Christmas after 4 years solid use for an RP23. I have to say I'm pretty bloody impressed with the Fox. Transformed the bike on the small fast stuff.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice.

midlifecrashes

Fred says he likes yours too. Must take a fresh pic, it has progressed to RP23 and Nobby Nics, and has some wider rims on the way to let them fill out a bit more. Must find a stem that doesn't say Marin on it though. Loving yours, enjoy.

coogan
    Free Member

4 years old shock v a new one, bound to feel a tad different. I'm just a coil man at heart. Demo'd the DW version with an air shock and I'll admit it felt great but knew I'd always go coil, just much prefer the feel of one.

Hadge
    Free Member

My first Spot came with a DHX air which was terrible, felt so dead and didn't like it one bit but I then dropped on the DHX coil and it felt brilliant. I was also in the lucky position as my Intense 5.5 also ran the same size shock so I could swap them over and compare them. The best ride was wit the DHX coil with a ti spring as it just felt so so plush so I will have to keep my eyes peeled for another 😉

ken_shields
    Free Member

woodsman – Member
    They look better in Black!

I think you'll find they look better in green 😆

Bregante

I think you'll find they look better in green

nope. definitely black 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

That was taken on it's first ride! I've had no problem with the DHX air, no stuck down issues or anything. It rides well, has a definate platform that dissapears when the going gets rough! I wanted a coil, but that was the last HL in the country in medium that I could find – Jan 06.

nickhart
    Free Member

i miss my old xce, that was a great bike but i really enjoy it's replacement, unlikely to get it down below 36lb's though!

backhander
    Free Member

Hadge, where did you get those cranks for that price please mate?

jimmy

do Pikes go well on a 5 Spot?

coogan
    Free Member

Pikes perfect on a 5 Spot. Well, they were on my HL version.

And nice Highline nick.

radoggair
    Free Member

do Pikes go well on a 5 Spot?

you know you prefer my lyrics. Your not tempted on a new bike are you??

* prob not cos your skint*

Bregante

Looks like Merlin are going to start doing Turners – http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mountain-bikes/discount-mountain-bikes/turner-bikes/

(awaits bargain custom build on a 5 spot)

Marko

Hey Woodsman,

Just had to go and check my 5 Spot is still there. You've got a ringer for mine, apart from the brakes and stem.

I congratulate you on your impeccable good taste.

Marko

whytetrash

Hmmm..how will all the Turner owners feel about loads of SLX equipped ones knocking about for pennies…surely not a good move on Turners part…gotta be the quickest way to de-value the brand?

firestarter
    Free Member

looking good hadge

Mines been stripped of its bling to build my ht up nice still looks good tho. Will have to get it out on the nidderdale ride i think to see if its a keeper or not 🙂 its the tnt version tho which as all you hl owners will know its a much stiffer rear end 🙂 see me lighting the touch paper there lol tbh after riding both a fair bit and riding them back to back i felt no difference so its all good 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

here it is in fact has 09 talas and slx brakes tho

Ti29er
    Free Member

Stugus: For the trail centres, wouldn't a Turner Flux at 25-26lbs be a slightly better bet?

YOurs is the same colour scheme as mine; silver seems to be the most synergetic colour with Turners IMHO.

whytetrash

Dunno about colours…how do you get a invisible 😉 one like that piccy?

Frankers
    Free Member

stugus – Member

i think I'll be going down a similar route, can't really stretch to a new one.

Do you think a 5 spot will be too much bike for mucking about round trail centres?

Ti29er – Member

Stugus: For the trail centres, wouldn't a Turner Flux at 25-26lbs be a slightly better bet?

I have owned both a 5 Spot and Flux and would definitely agree that the Flux is better a bet for XC riding and trail centre's.

Flux is more responsive and nimbler than the 5 Spot, which also is a great bike.

Andituk
    Free Member

They are a really lovely looking bike. Got a nice industrial sort of look, like the black and the silver.

coogan
    Free Member

whytetrash – Member
    Hmmm..how will all the Turner owners feel about loads of SLX equipped ones knocking about for pennies…surely not a good move on Turners part…gotta be the quickest way to de-value the brand?

Won't bother me, mines already got SLX cranks on it and about to get SLX brakes. Don't see much point spending more.

squin
    Free Member

Mmmm, I think I liked your old one better 🙁

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Do these 5 Spots ride as good as they look, not in the market for a new bike but if I was….drifts off in a daydream

lowey

Well I love mine. Had it for 5 years now and have absolutely no intention of changing it. Its the only Bike i own and its ridden year round in all weathers at least twice a week. Never once let me down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘My new 5 Spot’ is closed to new replies.