Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My first brush with the fuzz
  • Olly
    Free Member

I Wanted to run this past you, for reasons that may (or may not) become apparent.

SO, my colleague and I are driving home last night, from a meeting in Kent, which finished at 7 home to Devon. (unpaid, BOOOOO)

We are shuffling along, when in my mirrors, i see some **** with his HIDs on beam up my chuff. (both lanes are full, im not middle lane camping)

im not in the mood to get wound up, so pull over when i get an opportunity and let him past.

Turns out its a nice new 61 plate beemer with “POLICE” all over it. It pulls in front of me, and then proceeds to ease off the juice, slowing, slowing slowing. This is getting boring, so I pull out to over take him again.

On come the blue lights, over we are pulled.

“how long have you had your driving license son”

“er, some years, i dont really remember”

“and where in your test are you taught to meander all over the road, never look in your mirrors, and not indicate”

“friendly warning lads, your in a big van, your visibility is reduced, and you could hurt someone, now on your way”

Ok, you say, you got away with that one. HOWEVER…

We had literally only just picked this Ducato up, it is chuffing HUGE and we are both VERY aware of this.
    I am also aware, that in a big van you can loose a whole lorry in your blind spot.
    as it is the middle of the night, the roads are busy, I am being HUGELY careful not to scuff our new barge. Im not used to it, so cant be said to have been driving “over confidently”

i checked my mirror at every lane change, and i used my indicators at every lane change. I have been making sure of this the whole journey!
    i know the indicators are working, as the ducato has small supernovas for indicators, which light up the whole side of the van

My colleague reckons he was suspicious it was nicked, a van registered in kent (he may well have had ANPR) heading away from kent at midnight on a friday, but when he saw our badge up shirts changed his mind. But surely he would have just said that?

im not sure if he was looking to give out a ticket, and i wasnt playing ball by not arguing with him. (i was very, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, go away now please sir)

ANYWAY, its been bugging me, because part of me wishes i had corrected the kind gentleman, but another part of me KNOWS that would have got me a ticket.
    wish I had taken his reg so I could write a strongly worded letter 😉

As Andy said, forget it, nothing happened…

beinbhan

Should have slamed your brakes on when he was behind you 😈

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I drove a LWB sprinter for years like a c**t and never got pulled. Unlucky. Must have been a quiet night for plod.

z1ppy

Yet another ****hole in uniform, I’m refraining from the title that would envoke godwins law, though it is so damned true. The job just attracts them, which is a real pity as ‘some’ (I can’t even say majority) do a great and under appreciated job, which we all rely on.

Though booting it up your arse, flashing there lights trying to ‘encourage you’ to speed is entrapment, which there’s just no way of proving.

I remember being pulled over (quite) a few years back when I was younger, one was literally jumping up and down frothing at the mouth. I wasn’t bothered as I’d done nothing wrong & was being pulled on a regular basis due to my age and crap car. I think my attitude, un-interested not being cowed that really got on his goat. His partner looked embarrassed and apologised when the other had stamped off…

Cougar

You get ’em, sadly, and it doesn’t do the Police’s image any good.

I’ve been pulled a good few times, sometimes deservedly and sometimes not. Some coppers are polite and professional, some are bellends. Some are determined to ‘do you’ for something, some prefer to have a quiet word, some simply shouldn’t be in a position of authority.

oldnpastit

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side when he sees the big red light behind him … and then he will start apologizing, begging for mercy.

This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. The thing to do — when you’re running along about a hundred or so and you suddenly find a red-flashing CHP-tracker on your trail — what you want to do then is accelerate. Never pull over with the first siren-howl. Mash it down and make the bastard chase you at speeds up to 120 all the way to the next exit. He will follow. But he won’t know what to make of your blinker-signal that says you’re about to turn right.

This is to let him know you’re looking for a proper place to pull off and talk … keep signaling and hope for an off-ramp, one of those uphill side-loops with a sign saying “Max Speed 25” … and the trick, at this point, is to suddenly leave the freeway and take him into the chute at no less than a hundred miles an hour.

He will lock his brakes about the same time you lock yours, but it will take him a moment to realize that he’s about to make a 180-degree turn at this speed … but you will be ready for it, braced for the Gs and the fast heel-toe work, and with any luck at all you will have come to a complete stop off the road at the top of the turn and be standing beside your automobile by the time he catches up.

He will not be reasonable at first … but no matter. Let him calm down. He will want the first word. Let him have it. His brain will be in a turmoil: he may begin jabbering, or even pull his gun. Let him unwind; keep smiling. The idea is to show him that you were always in total control of yourself and your vehicle — while he lost control of everything.

Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

milkyman
    Free Member

i got pulled delivering milk, couldnt belive when i asked why…….because i wasnt wearing a seat belt

he explaind that i had to wear it at all times even if i was in and out every 40 meters or so

is it any wonder be police are so badly thought of

cynic-al
    Free Member

Move on. Copper may have been a ****, your driving may not looked as good as you would like.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Police in bullying shocker.

deluded
    Free Member

It would be interesting to hear the officers version of events … but that’s not going to happen is it. So, we’ll just accept the OP’s account of the incident.

Predictions for this thread – I think we can probably all see where this is going. Innumerable bores droning on about the injudicious speeding ticket that was issued to them by the nasty surly policeman blah, blah blah.

Dry your eyes and go out for a nice ride on your bike – that’s what I’m going to do.

scaredypants

If you’d had the bottle/conviction you could’ve asked to watch the video
    I bet that’d go down well

KennySenior
    Free Member

I reckon he was probably just checking you weren’t pissed. Slightly erratic driving, evening time, a very quick chat to see if you smell of booze, then when you don’t off you go. And he’s got to get close enough to read your number plate to do his PNC checks and so on. Do what your mate said and forget about it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Deluded said, you really are worrying about absolutely nothing! I’m sure you have some DIY to do or something today in this lovely weather rather than wishing you’d given the RPO a response.

Coyote
    Free Member

Kenny is probably closest to the truth.

Olly
    Free Member

Move on. Copper may have been a ****, your driving may not looked as good as you would like.

yeah probably.
    the guy was nice as pie to be fair, which didnt help. If he had been a **** i would have put it down to a twatty cop, equally, if i had been driving like a muppet, i would hold my hands up.
    was a bit of a nothing event really. which is why it has been niggling.

I’m sure you have some DIY to do or something today in this lovely weather rather than wishing you’d given the RPO a response.

been diggin in the garden. turned my computer on to check the size of slabs at Jewsons 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Maybe he fancied you.

angryratio
    Free Member

Driving a hoofing big van takes a short while to adjust to.
    I know whenever i pick up a transit before a riding holiday it takes a couple of miles to get used to being in a different position and so on.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Read the title n felt sure this was going to be a ‘my fingers lost their virginity’ story. Sadly not…..

Jerome
    Free Member

He has to give you a reason as to why he stopped you i believe. Happened to me over xmas a few years back whn i was driving late at night. Dodgy excuse was that i should have used the left hand ide of the slip road as i exited the dual carraigeway, as the right slip road was for overtaking ?? I pointed out i ws turning right at the roundabout hnce being on the right. Anyhoo they were looking for drink drivers and let me on my way. Funny thing was the cop car had a front light out, i could just bring myself to tell them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My first brush with the fuzz’ is closed to new replies.