Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem countdown thread.
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

To save countless MM posts with the run up to the event I thought a central thread may help.

Weather looks like it will once again play a massive part in the event.
    Rain all this week and most of next week will mean MUD again this year.

Everyone ready?

10 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pstokes99
    Free Member

that came around a bit quick. Training starts tomorrow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

🙁 gonna miss it this year gutted … enjoy all ! bet its dry cause im no there !

neil853
    Free Member

i do hope its dry, here’s hoping!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve bought one of those portable jet wash things, so it’ll be dry.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yeah, we’ve got a dirtworker thingy too.

We are still debating our appearance / non appearance. Rich has back issues (MRI scan yesterday, results Monday). I have head issues. Hence not much training in the Flash house recently. We think we’ll come for the fun and do some laps rather than come to do actual proper solo efforts.

crazy-legs

It CAN’T be wet, not again. Please no. On the other hand for the first time in Mayhem history, I’m not racing, I’ll be there “working”… 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

working?

Chevin
    Free Member

I’ve been told that there was a Landrover event ther this weekend and they had to tow the Landrovers out….sounds muddy!

40mpg

Yeah but it dries concrete hard in a matter of hours there, just look at the difference between saturdau night / sunday morning teh last 2 years.

Unless its actually raining or they send us through the river, most of the course should be reasonably dry.

neil853
    Free Member

i hope so

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve done all the Malvern Mayhems but not this time. I’ve just had enough of riding through a quagmire. Good luck with it. After SITS last year I sat down and worked out that 80 per-cent of the 24-hour races I’ve done in the UK were mud fests. I don’t think those are good odds 😉

Eldrik
    Free Member

It’s bound to be dry, as although I’ll be there, I’m not racing 🙁

I’ll hopefully get lots of good photos and video footage instead, however.

To paraphrase someone, “those who want peace a dry race, prepare for war mud”

xcstu
    Free Member

Gutted not racing this season and having to pull out of team due to leg ;-(

sod’s law will be a good one this year??? cross fingers!

will be there supporting though 😉

nickf
    Free Member

Just when I thought I had most things sorted, a team member drops out. Apparently it might rain…..

Anyone desperate to ride with a reasonably poor-quality mixed team? Let me know if you do, be glad to have you along.

xcstu
    Free Member

Just noticed the advert for the event at the top of the page…

They have even put rain in their advert!!!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Metcheck reckon it’s going to be 18degrees on the sat with a few showers on sunday morning.

MrAgreeable

Not doing it this year. It’s not the rain per se. It’s the fact that even a tiny smattering of moisture is enough to make your bike look like a melting chocolate sculpture. When the rain does come down properly it’s unspeakable.

As a social gathering/shared misery event it’s pretty fun, but proper durable courses with proper technical riding are the way forward.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

first one for me in 4 years. was there last year spectating, which I thought would mean a dry day, but apparently not! maybe, just maybe this year it’ll stay dry through the night.

like them man said above, it drys in seconds there, it really is amazing given the amount of rain there was last year, how dry it was at the end…

fingers crossed then!

bigsi
    Free Member

This is my first Mayhem event and I’ll be hoping for rain so i can try out my new mud tyres 😈 .

Sorry everybody 😉

lookmanohands
    Free Member

😯

Dimmadan
    Free Member

My first event too. Don’t care about conditions really. I will ride/run/push/carry/swim/crawl in anything 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If its anything like SITS last year, i’ll be happy with a two hour lap 😀

cxi
    Free Member

Two hour laps would be 50% quicker than last year’s night laps…

grumm
    Free Member

I know I will get accused of being a miserable get and probably banned for saying this, but why don’t they hold this event at a more suitable all-weather venue? I just don’t get the appeal of riding round a muddy field. It sounds like a fun, friendly event for the social aspects, but the riding just doesn’t look like much fun.

Ah well, each to their own etc.

jimr80
    Free Member

anyone looking for a ride as one of our team has cried off.
    team consists of 3 mayhem virgins in their early 40’s looking to finish the event and enjoy the whole weekend.
    mail
    james.rintoul@gmail.com
    or check out
    http://www.boghogs.co.uk

xcstu
    Free Member

Nothing can be as bad as SITS last year… bordering on a joke that course in the wet!!!

Surfr
    Free Member

What’s the climbing like at Eastnor? I’m on a retrobike team and I’ve failed to secure a retro steed (pre ’98) in time so it looks like I might have to use the ’94 Cindercone singlespeed. I’m a bit rubbish on the climbs and spent half the dyfi in in the granny ring. DO I stand a hope in hell of getting up the climbs with a 32:16 SS rig?

glangri2
    Free Member

At least they haven’t used ‘The Corn Field’ for the last couple of years.

Who remembers the track slowly getting wider and wider, as it got more and more slippery ……………… then it was followed by the Land Rover Climb.

I didn’t ride last year, what was the worst bit of the course ?

votchy
    Free Member

I only managed one lap last year due to a fall, however I believe the worst bit was the off camber bit through the night as it was very narrow and very slippy, heard of a lot of people having spills or walking that bit. Looking forward to it this year and hoping to make amends for last years first lap off resulting in a couple of broken ribs.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Surfr, there are two climbs. One is a short stint and the other drags you up through the camp site and does seem to go on for a bit.

There were people SS it last year.

votchy
    Free Member

metcheck showing showers Friday night then cool and cloudy sat and sun so looks like another muddy one

rOcKeTdOg

it’ll be dry and sunny just to annoy me as it’ll mean warm beer by sat evening

dave360

Me, I’m going to base all my pre-race prep on a 10 day weather forecast.
    Or maybe I might wait until I get the word from one of Pat’s little helpers after he’s walked the course next Thursday.

Although I already know it will be dry, warm, (but not too warm) and with just a teeny edge of dampness left in the woods for that perfect rollin, grippy bufficity. It will you know.

grahamh
    Free Member

After the metchehck forecast for Bristol last week end, I would take
    any forecast they give a shovel load of salt..

votchy
    Free Member

I also no longer take too much notice of metcheck, just posted it looking for a rise, after all, they forecast sleet for the early hours of last saturday morning for my postcode.

Don’t really care what the weather is like, am only there to enjoy myself as the only way I’m likely to win anything is if stw do another spot prize thing for wearing one of their jerseys (DVD, waterbottle and a mug with some torq gels last year)

Eldrik
    Free Member

@ Surfr

I can’t help you with the SS gear ratios but last year’s course had 385m of height gain per lap, mainly comprised of 2 hills in the first half of the lap.

@ glangri2

Another vote for the offcamber section after the switchback corner and 2 small drop offs. At its worst, it was lethally slippery to walk or try to ride.

FivebarG
    Free Member

Surfr – I ran 32:16 the last two years (during the dry spells) and dropped to 32:18 in the mudfest. It was not so much about the gearing but getting traction that I struggled with. Anyway, you always have the Singlespeeders 2nd gear – walk what you can’t ride!

The forecast from the Met office is quite optomistic for the event, still that can change on an hourly basis!!

At least there should be plenty of Shower Gel if it is muddy…. ;0)

jimr80
    Free Member

nice one Muddypuddle ,may see you there
    anyone else looking for a ride as one of our team has cried off.
    team consists of 3 mayhem virgins in their early 40’s looking to finish the event and enjoy the whole weekend.
    mail
    james.rintoul@gmail.com
    or check out
    http://www.boghogs.co.uk

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Just think, a week today and lots of us will be there or on our way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem countdown thread.’ is closed to new replies.