Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mountain Bike Drivetrain, user survey please
  • dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Hi, I’m a 4th Year undergraduate Product Design Engineer at Strathclyde Uni in Glasgow and i’m looking at redesigning a mountain bike (specifically DH bike) drivetrain, as to be honest i’m sick of chainging rear mech’s chains etc. but the survey is not DH specific.

I emailed the moderation team a few weeks back about this and got the go ahead from Tom but if it is a problem i don’t mind it being taken down if its breaking the rules.

Survey in here !

I would be grearful if anyone could fill the survey out as its only 10 multiple choice questions.

Any other feedback would be great as i’m wanting to make a good effort of this.

David

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

don’t mean to burst your bubble but i fear the re-engineering may have already been done

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/allen-millyard-part-1-2008.html

having said that, this hasn’t taken off commercially (i think)so you might be able to work that angle

Rickos
    Free Member

Done.

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

professorfaceplant – yeah I seen the millyard moons ago and its really impressive, its part of my competitor anylysis.

I hope to go in a slightly different direction, so its just market research at the moment, concept generation is a bit away yet.

GW
    Free Member

done.

badly thought out survey

sugdenr
    Free Member

I dont mean this in a rude way, but cant you think of something useful to design with your valuable time and talents.

The Bamboo bike for developing countries springs to mind. Doing high end leisure sh*t is ok but you learn so much more at your stage of life if you do some ground up grass roots engineering based on ‘necessity’ limited budget and limited materials.

DH bike stuff has shed loads of people with big budgets working on it, its design is largely done. Unless you have some sensible eureka disruptive technology bubbling over in your head.

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

GW – what could I do to imporve it ? It really is a first draft to drum up some information to strat from, but any help is appreciated.

sugdenr – its an idea ive been thinking over for a few years, could be total rubbish but thought I would take the opportunity to try and develop it with the tools provided through the uni.

I like the idea of what your saying, im hoping to bring the cost down of the frame to make the technology as cheap as possible but I can see your point on developing somthing from nothing.

legend
    Free Member

what could I do to imporve it ?

well Q1 is multi answer so i ticked two boxes
    Q2 – how much did it cost? er, which one?
    Q3 – how much travel? again, which of the two bikes from Q1?
    Q9 – many people use a mix of brands
    Q10 – which bike from Q1?

Good to see the Colouring In Course is still going strong

😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Done – good luck with your research 😀

GW
    Free Member

info from non DH riders is surely pointless/irrelivent for your project, no? (your question splitting bikes into many disciplines certainly is)
    but even if it were relivent, many, me included will own multiple bikes with varying drivetrain confugurations making your data vague and pointless.
    I am a DHer myself and would love to see inovative 5/6speed DH specific drivetrain solutions readily available but simply couldn’t answer half your nondescript questions. (I’d point them all out to you but can’t see the survey again now I’ve completed it)
    Also, from a design perspective, your ideas need to come from a frame design point of view rather than a personal hatered of mechs (which nearly always die from user error rather than design fault)

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

GW- I could have planned the questions much better but I was limited to only 10 for the free survey and didnt want to alienate all the users on here, I’m hoping to get an idea of what the genral concensus is between all disciplines as it may be a design that I can implement for different types of riding.

I think I will spend time on another survey specific to the DH rider to understand the different issues/ experiences they face and for some user specific feedback.

Hopfully be able to speak to some more DH riders face to face for interviews and things they would like to see in a product to help me build up a PDS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Drivetrain, user survey please’ is closed to new replies.