Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Most comfortable contact lenses?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

After years of wearing GPs I switched over to disposable dailies a couple of years ago. With my prescription almost up I'm looking for a change to something a bit more comfortable, 10-12 hours is all I can stand with dailies. So what would people recommend? With monthlies if you just wanted to wear them for 3 or 4 days a week can you extend the lifetime of the lens?

Pook

I have specsavers monthlies. I can regularly wear them a good 12 hours a day but don't. Sometimes I have them in for two months as they seem to wear well.

Never had a problem with them – about £13 a month.

mugsys_m8

|BAusch and Lomb. Pure Vision I think.
    . Supposed to be able to keep them in for 1 month. But opticians advise against. I keep them in for 2 days stints when bivvying etc and no probs. I am however sensitive to solution and use the preservative free bleach type stuff.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Most comfortable I found were called Biofinity – on trial from Vision Express.
    Still no good for me though – seems I have the driest eyes on the planet so even 'super-moist' ones like Biofinity end up feeling a bit 'sticky' pretty quick for me – doubly not good when they are toric……

imn

I'm trying Cooper Vision Biofinity monthly disposables, as recommended by optician. They're pretty good, and as I've been told not to wear them in the shower most days are 10hrs wear, with max 16hr. Towards the end of the month they can get itchy. You're not supposed to use for more than a month (it's the time they're open, so you can't wear every other day for 2 months), due to contamination.

DezB
    Free Member

Avoid Acuvue Advanced. They are rubbish. Acuvue2 are excellent though.

edsbike
    Free Member

I'm using the Specsavers monthlies – i.e. leave them in for a month.
    I don't, but have had them in for two weeks, I almost forget about them. I only really take them out because I feel I should give my eyes a rest.

Tim
    Free Member

just changed to focus dailies – much better than the old specsavers ones

wanted to try monthly ones (leave them in), but i seem to get too severe hayfever eyes for this to be doable

edsbike
    Free Member

The ones that Specsavers give me are Ciba Air Optix Night and Day Aqua.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I've had acuvue true eye and they're great, really thin and easy to put in /remove and are very comfortable. I now have those super cheap ones (day soft) which are nearly as comfortable but are thicker and therefore more noticable and are a begger to et in as they don't want to stay on your finger.
    Not bad for 1/3 of the price though.

cheers_drive

Acuvue Moist are way better than the Focus dailys I used before. Apparently there is an even better (and costlier) version out now.

hels
    Free Member

AFAIK this is more to do with your eyes than the kind of contact lenses, by that I mean different types will work better with different people, so not much use getting advice here see an proper optician.

I wore my first pair of contact lenses for 5 years, had the early type you took out and cleaned every night. They were expensive then and a huge panic if you dropped one !

carlosg
    Free Member

Avoid Acuvue Advanced. They are rubbish. Acuvue2 are excellent though.

I use Acuvue advance bi-weeklys and find them fine and also tend to use them for 3 weeks at a time without problems.

next time I go I might ask about the Acuvue2's though and give them a try.

DezB
    Free Member

Some people will get with them (the Acuvue Advance) but I found them ridiculously sensitive to contamination (eg. dust or fluff). Supposed to be better for the eyes than A2s as they let in more oxygen, but they weren't any good for me.

GTDave
    Free Member

I switched from the Focus Dailies to Acuvue Moist a couple of years ago.
    They are really good, and don't dry out easy, as I suffer from one pretty dry eye due to having scratched the cornea on a bike ride.

Currently trialling the Acuvue Tru-Eye. They seem really good too, difference being (apart from cost) that I can leave them in longer without my eyes feeling tired, and they feel a bit more comfortable.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I use these…they have a high water content and real comfy.

I've slept in them plenty times….not that i'm suggesting you do the same.

Pretty cheap too!

ContactLenses

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Acuvue Moist here but have started having trouble with them falling out lately. The Acuvue Tue-Eye were great but each step up gets more and more expensive.

CountZero

Having stopped wearing monthly disposables some years back due to redundancy/costs I went back to Specsavers last year cos they only cost me £10/month. Someone mentioned not wearing them in the shower, and extended wear tends to encourage that, but it's rather risky. A chap at work has had a serious eye infection; a cyst caused by a type of amoeba or something like that caught by wearing his lenses in the shower and not taking them out. It's caused him no end of discomfort and pain, so be careful. I won't wear my lenses for longer than around twelve hours, and I only wear them weekends and some evenings.

Woody
    Free Member

I'm using the Specsavers monthlies – i.e. leave them in for a month.

Me too and they are great as I work shifts and they are super comfy as you would expect from lenses designed to be left in for up to 30 days.

It's not recommended but I've been using the same pair since January. I do take them out to go to bed and put them in cleaning/sterilising solution however and I don't notice any deterioration from week one!

wheeliecyprus
    Free Member

If you want a really comfortable daily contact lens for riding, try Acuvue Moist. I usually wear Acuvue Advance Hydraclear (a 2 weekly lens) but hubby, who only wears lenses occasionally, used to hate using any type of daily lens until I ordered some Acuvue Moist dailies for him to try.. Now he doesn’t even notice he’s wearing them and I use them for overnight stops when you can’t clean or store lenses properly.

There’s more about these ultra comfortable lenses here together with info on sports contacts:
    Comfortable Contact Lens Secrets.com

thehustler
    Free Member

Ignore the above and see your optician, the most comfortable can be individual to YOU, however the new silica hydrogel lenses are considered the current best

Dolcered

I feel im a bit lax in my eye care after reading this thread.

i use Dollond & Aitchison monthy lenses (take them out overnight), they are 15quid a month. I get 50% discount on specs. Never had any major probs with them. I usually keep an old pair as spares, im good at losing the little criters, or trapping them in the box so one bit goes solid overnight.

rondo101
    Free Member

Acuvue Oasys fortnightlys. I can sleep in them occasionally as required, or change them weekly & wear them for 7 days (6 nights) straight. I’ve found them incredibly comfortable & barely notice them.

They’ve sorted out the dry eyes feeling I was getting from the air con at work and it’s handy to be able to take the occasional nap (i am getting old) without worrying about permanent damage.

konabunny
    Free Member

Acuvue Moist are way better than the Focus dailys I used before.

I couldn’t tell the difference. Opticians (or are they optometrists?) will give you free samples.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I ended up with Ciba Vision Air Optix after not really getting on with Acuvue Oasys. They’re ok, better than Focus Dailies but not that much better imo.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Laser surgery 🙂

Always found contact lenses a pain so took the plunge. Excellent result and no problems so far!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Another vote for the monthly type you leave in all day and night – have to confess that mine stay in permanently for about 3 months, no problems yet and have used ’em like that for about 4 or 5 years 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Most comfortable contact lenses?’ is closed to new replies.