• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • More high street shops in administration
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13901123

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13893510

Probably more job loses and empty shops as the depression/recession bites.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Id heard about moben struggling. To be fair tho their kitchens were so overpriced they were destined to struggle in times like these.

binners

I predict that within 2 years the only retail establishments left will be Tesco and a couple of branches of Subway and Starbucks. You heard it here first

Nick

To anyone who has ever had to physically eject a Moben/Dolphin/Sharps ‘designer’ from their homes because they just will not leave not matter how many times you say ‘NO’ to their ludicrously high prices this doesn’t come as any suprise at all.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Apparently Habitat’s key market is ‘urban dwellers’ or…

‘cash rich chumps’ as they are otherwise known

funny that they couldnt sell overpriced tat outside of london eh?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I predict that within 2 years the only retail establishments left will be Tesco and a couple of branches of Subway and Starbucks. You heard it here first

..interspersed with a few Poundlands

All the fault of the public sector, no doubt. Damn those hospitals and provincial councils for not buying enough furniture from habitat

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

cash rich chumps’ as they are otherwise known

hmmmm

toby1

Ooh, might have to nip in and see if there are any bargains at our local habitat (I live near Cambridge so I’m a cash rich chump btw :))

backhander
    Free Member

It’s all our own fault, too.
    I miss the butchers, bakers and greengrocers but ultimately by going to the supermarkets I’m partly to blame for their downfall. Once they’re gone; they’re gone. It’s a sorry state for sure.

binners

I blame the Scottish personally. If those idle bastards could stay off the Buckfast and deep-fried pizzas for long enough to exploit their oil reserves properly, subsequently paying it all to the English, the country wouldn’t be in this mess

mrmo
    Free Member

seem to be alot of private equity backed ventures getting into trouble? I am guessing as the rent is due that might be the trigger to what is happening.

convert

Anyone who knows their design history and the position of Habitat in changing the tastes, styles and aspirations of the British public through making good design affordable will have found the downward spiral of the brand in the last 20 years depressing. This seems to be a new low.

finbar
    Free Member

Convert, i agree. I would have been sad about Habitat going under had they not been bought by Ikea and started giving all their products nonsensical names like “Jakulp” and “Svenstrom“. I’d still quite like a set of this:

Which, admittedly, also has a daft name.

the-muffin-man

Seems to be the biggies that are failing at the minute though – Comet, Focus, Habitat, Moben etc. Too many overheads and not enough margin.

And where I live there is no shortage of independent bakers, butchers, greengrocers etc.

jon1973
    Free Member

They did alright for 30 years.

Cougar

All these butchers and bakers, it’s the poor candlestick-makers I feel sorry for.

footflaps

If you want decent solid wood furniture with good design, there isn’t that much choice – Habitat was one of the few left. Even John Lewis sells mainly chipboard based furniture with a thin veneer of real wood glued on top.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve shopped there a fair bit. Can’t afford the furniture, even though it’s nice (apart from a discounted sofa we have) but their homewares are lovely and not expensive at all.

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s all our own fault, too.
    I miss the butchers, bakers and greengrocers but ultimately by going to the supermarkets I’m partly to blame for their downfall. Once they’re gone; they’re gone. It’s a sorry state for sure.

My fault too. However all is not lost! Supermarkets are successful because they buy in bulk from the cheapest places. They can do this because fuel is cheap and shipping stuff around is economically viable. As fuel prices rocket their business models* will fail and it’ll be local produce that becomes more affordable because it doens’t have to travel as far. Bingo! Your local shops will pop up again, it’s starting already with farm shops cropping up in places previously devoid of retail.

*Having said that, they have become a bit wise to this. Anyone noticed the myriad of new Tesco Expresses, Sainsbury’s Local popping up? I reckon Coop seem to be in a better position at the moment though. They seem to have a better handle on the local produce market.

donsimon
    Free Member

They can do this because fuel is cheap and shipping stuff around is economically viable. As fuel prices rocket their business models* will fail

Or they will hammer down the costs from both suppliers and logistic companies.

totalshell

echo the sharps sales pitch 8k 12 yrs ago for a simple bedroom that a local firm did excellently for less than 3k sharps woman would not leave this discount that knocked off pay now for more off never again.

project
    Free Member

Comet are appearing to sell off shops, great mills/focus just gone, woolworths, MFI,Whittards, ethel austin, au naturele, the officers club, adams, virgo retail, borders, oddbins, thirst quench, sofa workshop, and there plenty more i cant remember, not to mention a few bike shops.

As said above a lot of the butchers, and bakers have gone along with fish mongersa nd litle independant hardware shops.

Saying that theres still a real old hardware shop in Bala north wales, just like open all hours, tv programe.

donsimon
    Free Member

Can’t they just go on strike? 😕

project
    Free Member

They should have been in a union.

CountZero

Whittards are still going, there’s one in Bath just up from HMV; Focus, Woolies, Zaavi, all lost sight of what they’re supposed to be doing. I’d go into Focus and ask for a product, and be told ‘sorry, haven’t got it, but you could try Homebase’, Woolies stopped being the shop you went to for all the little odds and ends, and just seemed to have endless racks of kids clothing and cheap toys. Wilkinsons is virtually identical to Woolies now, is hugely successful just because it does what Woolies used to do. Zaavi were just like HMV and other music chains, stupidly overpriced; why buy a CD for £16 when Amazon or Play do it for £8. I’ve stopped bothering with HMV for the same reason, virtually no stock of any interest, mostly games, DVD’s and tee shirts, and much too expensive. Even their online prices are more expensive, I’ve only ever bought one CD online from them, Gemma Hayes new one, and that’s because it’s the only place you can buy the physical release from, and £9.99 is probably around £1.59 more than Amazon would do it for.

hora
    Free Member

Habitat does not reflect a retailer trend. It was an absolutely awful company. Over 10yrs ago I left a head office position there thoroughly disheartened.with supply chain planning. Its internal nickname was ‘shabitat’, its DC’s were full of unsold tat, its head office management was Buyer-led at the expense of what customers actually wanted (the best selling items sold out and remained out of stock), Ikea struggled with it. Since then the store ‘look’ has remained essentially the same. Same old ****

What people don’t realise was that habitat used to have shedloads of stores- 70(?) Were closed down before I joined under Heals(?) Ownership in an attempt to revive/save the group.

My memory is hazy on the exact details hence the ‘?’S.

I do remember utter frustration at my best sellers being cancelled and a new manager from m&s (when they were ****/in their **** days) doubling all poor items orders because they looked nicer. I don’t think I even worked my notice.

Many good people worked there with real passion but the political types stayed many years.

I think argos will do a better job with a strong online retailer focus and very sound supply chain principles. Hence why they didn’t keep habitats buyers or supply team etc.

Years ago there was a habitat Watford and apperently more stock went out the back than in sales.

Drac

I didn’t know Habitat were still going.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘More high street shops in administration’ is closed to new replies.