• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Monster-cross: worth it?
  • djflexure

I have a Yeti Big Top, bit like this one, that I have to admit to modifying more than I ride. Shameful I know. Was set up single speed with front suspension but I hankered after a lighter ride.

A few years back I had an Ibis Tranny set up as rigid, s/s 69er; it weighed next to nothing and rode great but the slot machine had a habit of working loose.

Chasing the Tranny experience 😳 I got some rigid exotic monocoque forks off eBay this week, fitted to the Big Top tonight and it seems mint, ready for all the winter slop.

Now I’m considering drop bars, hoods etc but the outlay is a bit off-putting (especially as I don’t really ride the bike anyway). Before you slate me I do commute by bike and would like to try the Big Top, but its a 35 mile round trip and I’m not sure s/s would work.

Anyhow what about monster cross – I realise I’m 6-10 years late to the party?

djflexure

birdage

Just gone back to monster from drop bar 29er (half) plus…..

God it’s the most fun I have on a bike and suits terrain round here. Right balance of speed, comfort and edginess on and off road.

Finally settled on Landcruiser 1.75 front and Smart Sam Plus 1.6 back. Slightly heavy but sure-footed and still fairly rapid.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NrcBWE]IMG_20161022_090903188[/url] by Matthew Bird, on Flickr

djflexure

You may – it was that vey add that got me thinking. Nearly made you an offer then thought I could use the Big Top.

nedrapier

Love mine!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Monstercross is <44mm tyres I am told

nedrapier

By whom?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Tempted to do this with my Swift…. no point for a few months going to be out of action…. will give me time to get some ideas!

Cheers, Steve

oliverracing

Love my Monstercross, 2.2 tyres, flared drops and currently set up single speed and is a great laugh to ride and surprisingly capable. I’ve used it for anything from light touring on the GR5 (geared)through to ssuk last year.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FB Monstercross group.

antigee

did an “organised” ( 😆 ?) gravelgrind ride last year and the guy handing out the cue sheets was recording bike types and his list with stats from previous events showed majority monstercross rather than CX or gravelracer

birdage

Defining monstercross = can of worms. Given up trying to define it, for me it’s somewhere between 40mm and 2.0. And why do we change measurement scales between road and mountain?

bensales
    Free Member

Bindun 30 years ago

ajantom

Just been out for a 2 hour blast on my Genesis Vagabond. Probably 65/35% road to off-road. Kind of ride I would previously have done on my MTB, but comfier and quicker on the Vaga.

I’ve upped the front tyre to a 2.4, so I get the fast rolling benefits of the 2.1 WTB rear, but a bit more shock absorption up front. I’ve also stuck an old 100mm drop X-Fusion HiLo on it with under saddle lever. Makes the trail sections more fun 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

those pics – disc rear wheels FTW !

djflexure

Here is the finished article – maiden voyage today went well – 25 miles on BW’s, canal towpaths and a little bit of road. Think I have finally found the Yeti’s best configuration for me.

Exotic fork
    Hylex brakes
    Cow chipper bars

Position is great – drops are excellent for climbing and when it gets bumpy.

qwerty
    Free Member

Tidy. 😀

igm

Nice. You’d have been far happier with a second hand Gryphon of course, but nice, very nice.

charliedontsurf

Looks great, I love riding drops off-road.

europeanbob
    Free Member

love this look for commuting did you use cable disc or fluid

bikebouy
    Free Member

That is rather nice dear fellow.

But it’s a bit too clean.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I stuck some flared drops on my 29er singlespeed but it just felt a bit too stretched out. I probably should have tried a shorter stem on it. So it’s back to flat bars with stubby bar ends for yanking it up steep stuff.

But… I put the flared drops on my cx and upped the tyres to 38mm and it rides like a totally different bike. It’s not monstercross but the flared drops make a massive difference on the nadgery sections.

I may get another pair and give it another go on the 29er with a short stem.

djflexure

Thanks for the comments – and thanks for the bars Charlie. The combination of drops and s/s seemed perfect for my ‘mild’ local off road and gravel. Climbing in particular benefited from the new position. I was immediately at home with the Cowchipper’s.

love this look for commuting did you use cable disc or fluid

Brakes are hydro’s – 160 rotors F&R. Worked well and quiet too. Did not realise that the Hylex came with rotors which made them decent value.

But it’s a bit too clean.

Came back filthy yesterday. But its sparkling again now 😀

I may get another pair and give it another go on the 29er with a short stem.

My stem was very short as you can see, although there is also 25mm of layback on the seat post. The front end is reasonably high which helps too.

You’d have been far happier with a second hand Gryphon of course

Has it found a home yet?

igm

Not yet. It’ll be broken up and off to Ebay soon sadly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Monster-cross: worth it?’ is closed to new replies.