Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mongoose Teocali – Warranty Replacement 2nd Time
  • cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just noticed today that the frame on my 2009 Mongoose Teocali Super has cracked.

This frame was a warranty replacement for the previous 2006 frame which cracked approx 2 1/2 years ago

So my question is will I get another warranty replacement for this one?

The original Teocali had a 5 year warranty & I had no problems last time getting a replacement

Has anyone any experience when a warranty replacement has cracked?

I am also told that Hot Wheels is no longer the distributor, so will this affect things at all?

If anyone is interested in seeing pics I can post some.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

it will be covered by warranty!

as long as it had a 5 year warranty

Simon

Not sure, I’d expect the warranty would run from the original purchase date, not the date you received the replacement frame. Worth a try though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Cheers Guys

Anyone else got anything to add to this?

Anyone else experienced the same situation as me?

twohats
    Free Member

Warranty runs from the date of purchase, not date of replaced frame.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What twohats Said, the warranty is on the original frame at time of purchase, otherwise you could effectively have a lifetime warranty if each replacement frame broke at 4 yrs…

nbt

whereas I would expect warranty on a replacement to run from the date of replacement. I’m not a lawyer, but that’s what I’d expect. The only differences might be if the warranty term was changed in the meantime – e,g, it might be a 3 year warranty on the replacement frame or something.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its from the original purchase.Hotwheels is now cycling sports group (but same people).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely the warranty should be from the age of the replacement frame , otherwise it would only have to last less than a year!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Seems to be about 50:50 between those who think it will/won’t be warrantied.

The only others I’ve heard from with similar circumstances are one of my mates who had a Cove (they warrantied the first frame but not the second) and a friend of a friend who had a Giant (three frames all on warranty without issue)

I originally bought the first bike in March 2007, so 5 years from this date is up next month

Info had gone of via my LBS, so fingers crossed – will let everyone know the outcome

pjm84
    Free Member

Anyone else experienced the same situation as me?

Yep in the same boat and being shafted.

mildred

What twohats Said, the warranty is on the original frame at time of purchase, otherwise you could effectively have a lifetime warranty if each replacement frame broke at 4 yrs…

And I would say quite rightly too.

It’s an odd thing this; if a company have such confidence in an item that they offer a 5 year warranty on it from the date of purchase, which is a major selling point for many people, then if this item breaks and you receive a brand new replacement, then surely this item comes with it’s own warranty. Remember this is a new item, not a repair, on which you would just get the remainder of the warranty. If the item constantly breaks at 4 years then it is clear that it isn’t fit for purpose. After all, if the manufacturer themselves are saying each new item should last 5 years and it doesn’t they should be liable for replacement. Each frame is distinct from the next. If they choose to replace not repair then it should also come with it’s own warranty. I think you would win that one at court.

Thinking about it, it may boil down to the question of what constitutes a reasonable lifetime of this frame. At civil court where this would be heard, the burden of proof is based on the balance of probabilities, so I reckon any solicitor worth his salt would argue that if the manufacturer states it should last 5 years from new, an they give you a new frame, you have every right to expect that frame to last 5 years.

neninja
    Free Member

You’re still within the original 5 years so it should be warranted. Had the 5 years been up then it wouldn’t – that’s how I understand it.

woody2000

Where’s it cracked? Only interested as I have a 2009 Teocali too! Is it the fancy stuff round the shock area?

cynic-al
    Free Member

mildred – Member
    if the manufacturer states it should last 5 years from new, an they give you a new frame

That’s not what a warranty states though, it states you’ll get a new frame if yours breaks 5 years from purchase (i.e. not replacement).

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

The crack is where the top tube meets the head tube.

Here’s a pic: –

woody2000

Cheers – I’ll keep my eye on it 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

what sort of warranty is that? If I bought a bike new and needed a warranty replacement I’d expect the replacement to have 5 years from replacement

ziggy
    Free Member

I can confirm it is definately 5 years from purchase date.

You will need your original receipt (or a copy from the shop).

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Update…

CSG have refused to warranty my frame.

Here’s the bit I don’t agree with – it’s based upon the age of the frame!

Needless to say I will be pursuing this further.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So the original frame had a warranty (which is still in force), yet the second WARRANTY REPLACEMENT isn’t covered by the original purchase warranty?
    I’d be getting in touch with the Citizens Advice pronto!

Gary_C

So the original frame had a warranty (which is still in force), yet the second WARRANTY REPLACEMENT isn’t covered by the original purchase warranty?

The way I read it is that the importers are saying that the warranty goes off the age or build date of the frame ( 2006 ) Not the purchase date ( March 2007 )

billyboy
    Free Member

As a side track off this subject……

Wouldn’t it be good for the consumer if consumer magazines monitored and reported on this kind of thing!

Then the consumer who pays for these magazines and these products would have more information to inform their future purchases.

Then you might know beforehand that (for the sake of argument only) that although this year’s Gary Fisher whatever might be the billywhatever bestest, a whatever percentage of last year’s/the year before’s Gary Fisher models broke. Whereas a whatever percentage of last year’s Trek not quite so billywhatever bestest frames broke which would tend to indicate they are far more reliable purchase.

Might be useful.

Though I doubt Gary would willingly share that information….nor neither Mr Lapierre…nor Mr Lynskey etc etc

….and sadly I doubt the magazines would have the stomache for it either…for various reasons.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mongoose Teocali – Warranty Replacement 2nd Time’ is closed to new replies.