Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Modeo rattles….. Is it terminal?????
  • handbrake
    Free Member

I know all oil burners rattle a bit, but this is only when idling with the clutch depressed. Car is a 2.0l TD 2003 with 85k on the clock.

Any ideas gratefully reciieved

5lab

DMF on its way out. Common problem, will need replacing at some point, best to do the clutch as well, about a grand all in

handbrake
    Free Member

DMF ??????

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

dual mass flywheel

5lab

yep, dual mass flywheel. known problem on the diesel mondeos of that era, particularly the 130bhp models. do a search online you'll find loads. the longer you leave it, the more likely it is to lunch your starter motor.

tron
    Free Member

What 5Lab said, sounds very much like the Dual Mass Flywheel. Next thing will probably be the clutch slipping. More of a known problem on every diesel they've ever been fitted to than just Mondeos (and that's most "modern" diesels).

My advice is to sell it ASAP as it's a very costly job to replace.

BigJohn

It could be that the n has come loose.

molgrips
    Free Member

I've lost count of the number of people who told me I had a DMF problem on a car that didn't even have a DMF.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I seem to remember a mechanic mate saying you can get a kit
    to convert from DMF, effectively fixes the flywheel as per a normal one

tron
    Free Member

You can switch to solid flywheel, but you lose some refinement and there's a question of where the forces (big torque spikes) the DMF was soaking up are now going.

IIRC a solid flywheel is about £70, plus a clutch kit – £70? then labour – on the old Mondeos you had to drop the subframe to do the clutch, then realign it. Made it about a £500 job.

daveh
    Free Member

Mine rattles as per your description but its always done it so I recon its just a loose heatsheild or something.

Saccades
    Free Member

mine too, stuck on a psp atm, there is a pipe with a rubber gasket designed ironically to reduce vibration noise that does the opposite as it gets older. search the mondeo forum, can swop out with a metal one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Modeo rattles….. Is it terminal?????’ is closed to new replies.