Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Microdiscectomy – date looming large
  • Cubed
    Free Member

After hearing nothing for a while – finally had to brave ringing the consultant after my back went again(2nd time this year). To find out they have me pencilled in for the 9th Nov.
    Frankly i’m cacking it.
    In between the episodes – where they dope me up with pethidin(love the drug when i’m on it – feel like s***e coming off it) and spend a week to a fortnight on crutches as i can’t walk. This year has seen some awesome riding.
    Been to wales twice – improved my skills at Cannock. I just need to get quicker- haven’t worked out how to do this yet – but sure i’ll get there.
    All i have going round my head is the fact that if things go wrong – i could end with muscle wastage, paralysis or a colostomy bag (make it easier than finding a friendly tree on the trail to relieve one self i suppose).
    Yes i know it might fix me – but i’m one of those that thinks the world will probably blow itself up in 2012 ok.
    The thing that annoys the most is that i’m unlikeley to get back on the bike proper before the surgery.
    Any nice thoughts to take my mind off it would be appreciated.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll all be fine. No way to guarantee it but at the end of the day they’re unlikely to propose an op that is unlikely to help and likely to hinder. Good luck with it, crack on with it in good spirits, I’ve a fairly unscientific view that when you go into these things negatively you somehow help the negatives occur (like looking where you’re crashing!).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

well we don’t know your situation but for me surgery would have to be the very last resort. Have you done all the exercise, alexander technique type stuff?

nicko74

Good luck with it dude. My consultant was very keen to do the ‘ectomy’, but I looked at the scans and thought ‘that’s all a bit close to the spinal nerves for my liking’ and wimped out.

So you’re a bigger man than me!! But as coffeeking says, it wouldn’t be a serious option unless they knew that the risks are very very low.

Anyway, to take your mind off it, have you considered which would win in a fight between a baboon or a badger? How about writing a 2 page explanation of your thinking? 🙂

jamo
    Free Member

had op 9 years ago was crapping it before as well, was total success would do it again rather than have pain,didnt feel better till started hydrotherapy after op,nurses brilliant,you will be fine good luck

Cubed
    Free Member

obviouisly it would be the badger – like it would drag the baboon into the middle of the road and wait for the lorry driver to run it over. Natural road cmaouflage vs opposable thumbs. i go with the camouflage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Microdiscectomy – date looming large’ is closed to new replies.