• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mercury Music Prize
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Not seen a thread on this, so here are the nominees, any thoughts?

FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE: Lungs
    SPEECH DEBELLE: Speech Therapy
    KASABIAN: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
    FRIENDLY FIRES: Friendly Fires
    LA ROUX: La Roux
    BAT FOR LASHES: Two Suns
    THE HORRORS: Primary Colours
    GLASVEGAS: Glasvegas
    LED BIB: Sensible Shoes
    SWEET BILLY PILGRIM: Twice Born Men
    THE INVISIBLE: The Invisible
    LISA HANNIGAN: Sea Sew

Liking if only for discoving that The Horrors are no longer a garage goth band and have got the bloke from Portishead producing them.

DezB
    Free Member

Kasabian – their worst album by far.
    Friendly Fires – dull and unoriginal
    Glasvegas – just awful
    The Horrors – failed to turn up as support for the extremely amatuerish Fratellis at a gig I unfortunately attended

And none of the others have made an impression on me. Where's this year's Burial?
    Any there I should pay attention to? ie. anyone vaguely original?

ps. I'd give it Paul White for "the Strange Dreams of.."

nickc

Florence album is good. La Roux a bit of a one track pony. A nice pony though, Friendly fires nice funky disco album, Speech is good, Bat for Lashes is also a good listen, I like Glasvegas, got that 50's vibe goin on. Kasabian is sub Oasis pap for children. don't know the others.

I'd say Florence or la Roux

kimbers

my thoughts…….

oh yay another award ceremony where music industry types get to say how great all the bands they represent are, convince people to buy their albums and get a free piss up and posh food and get the dodgy guy in the office to buy a mountain of coke out of the petty cash

hp_source

Personally I'd like to see Bat for Lashes win, as she came second a year or two ago, but I reckon it'll go to Florence, which ain't no bad thing either.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Anything to add on the actual music though kimbers?

Heard some of the Speech Debelle stuff on 6 music, quite liked that. I did think she might still be at school though. She's 25! Bat for Lashes album is very good. Agreed, there is no cutting edge dance music. Untrue is my favourite electronic album for years, no idea how it even got on the list, glad it was though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm, at a push Bat For Lashes maybe. Or just give it to Skream for managing to pop a diamond out of that shower of shite La Roux produces :mrgreen:

stever
    Free Member

Well it prompted me to a pleasnt enough listen to Sweet Billy Pilgrim yesterday. I like them.

yoshimi

I hope Florence or Bat for Lashes

BigDummy
    Free Member

Saw The Horrors supporting Jarvis Cocker last month. They were rather good actually, certainly good enough that I'd sink £10 into an album with a "mercury prize nominee" sticker on it in HMV.

nickc

Stoner, I thought you'd like that Pilgrim Album. Downloaded it, haven't listened properly though

DezB
    Free Member

Gonna check out Florence, Sweet Billy and Bat For Lashes and be back with my comments..
    I'm predicting play-by-numbers indie (maybe a blues tinge in Sweet Billy's case?), but hope to be wrong.

nicko74

Florence do try a bit hard though – I've nothing particularly against her music, but the girl herself is quite dislikeable. La Roux is very derivative, but has a huge PR machine behind it; Glasvegas hasn't aged incredibly well.
    As for Kasabian, Lily Allen and Friendly Fires being on the list, the less said the better, really.
    I reckon it has to be Bat for Lashes or one of the slightly more obscure acts like Sweet Billy etc

DezB
    Free Member

Bat for Lashes – I can imagine a lot of chubby girls in black eyeliner at her gigs 😉 (is that your review on HMV, Rich?)
    Sweet Billy Pilgrim – Sebadoh/Folk Implosion anyone?
    Florence – Cranberries anyone?
    the Invisibles – why is this nominated? I actually forgot I had my headphones in while they were playing!
    La Roux – yes, seen this rubbish on MTV. 80s revival anyone?

Come on Lisa save the awards…!

DezB
    Free Member

Lisa Hannigan – nope, heard that before.
    Led Bib – prefer Les Bubb. Don't understand jazz or pipe smoking.

I think Speech Debelle is the only one I'd ever wish to hear again and there's far better stuff out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mercury Music Prize’ is closed to new replies.