Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Maxxis ADvantage vs Panaracer Rampage
  • luigi_t8
    Free Member

Looking for some good all round tires to ride on all year round (summer to mud). I’ve found these two tires to be renowned as good all rounders however my main concern for both is performance in mud and in the wet. Does anyone have experience with either of these or know much about them?

NB: i ride mainly in the dark peak, lake district and trail centres.

NB: i was going to get the ‘ADvantage 70a’ and ‘Rampage PR’

thanks LT

Del

i found the rampages to be lacking in grip and fragile. used to spin one up on the back on the ss on a road climb in the damp/cold, which was irritating to say the least, and it was with some relief that i killed it by having it puncture through a knob and rip a big chunk out.
    have run the kenda equivalents before and since and been very happy with them. was only persuaded to try the panaracers after a mate eulogised over them and i couldn’t get kendas cheap.
    HTH.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I bought a Rampage and only used it a couple of times, can’t remember what size it was, looked like about a 2.35″ . It clogged up badly with mud from what I remember. I’d go for the Advantage for all round.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Consider getting the 60a compound ADv for the front and the 70a for the back. The 2.1 is slightly smaller than a High Roller 2.35, the 2.2 is slightly bigger.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

ok, are the Advantage generally considered better in mud and roots than the rampage then?

I’ve heard alot about the advantages having very weak side-walls?

As the only affordable option for the advantage is the 70a version would this still give better grip than the Rampage PR?

LT

t_i_m
    Free Member

are the Advantage generally considered better in mud and roots than the rampage then?

They must be! While I’ve not used an Advantage, I know from bitter experience that Rampages are absolute rubbish as soon as it becomes muddy.
    FWIW I still rate Rampages highly as a summer/dry tyre for trail centre style rides.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I run advantages as rears year round, predictable and pretty reasonable in the mud. No problems with sidewalls either.

I wouldn’t run one on the front though, just didn’t feel grippy enough there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rampages are fun in the dry on big rocks, but terribble if its loose, muddy or snowy. Summer tyre only. Panaracers also tend to have a looser bead than other manufacturers, so dead easy to get on and off.

Advantages seem so far this autumn to be good all-rounders, but don’t clear sticky-mud too well.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I run an Advantage 70a/60a combo most of the time, except when it gets really horrible. Then the Swampthings come out.

The 2.25 60a is a cracking tire. Very big, does great in all but the worst of the mess.
    I run a 2.1 70a on the back, which is fine for about 90% of the time. I found it pings off wet rocks and roots a little alarmingly, but this has been mitigated a bit by lowering the pressure. It’s not a mud tire though, so again, once it gets proper messy, you’ll struggle a bit.
    Hard wearing too. I’ve had it a year and its still in great condition.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

still not sure about the compounds. whilst the tread on the advantage might be better i can’t help thinking that the 70a rubber just wouldnt cut it when compared to panaracer’s ZSG compound?

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve heard alot about the advantages having very weak side-walls?

I had an XCeption Advantage split on me, but I’ve been running a 70a 2.1 on the back for about a year with no problems. It’s fine in any mud I’ve encountered, the 2.1 comes up a bit small. It doesn’t have anything like the grip of my front tyre, but that’s a 42a HR and there’s no way I’d run that on the back anywhere I had to pedal.

Vader
    Free Member

running 2.25 60a Advantages here all summer, front and rear. Previous tyres were nevegal and blue groove combinations, stick e 2.1s

Advantages are super fast in comparison on hardpack/smooth or tarmac surfaces. Grip in the dry similar but not as good cornering IMO, although i think that is the result of their size, which is frankly massive and a tad balloon shaped on my narrow rims. I know people rant on about how they run big tyres on skinny rims no problems but on my 717s they get a bit squirrely unless i run them harder than i’d like. On a wider rim i think they would be better.

No better or worse than other all rounders in the mud for me, a slight tendancy to clog though. Hopeless on wet roots.

Overall pretty good large volume xc tyre for summer. The fast rolling is their forte for me. Next tyres will be nevegals again though

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Rampages – I run the SC and it’s great for everything except mud and tarmac. It doesn’t clear mud and it’s a complete slug on tarmac. Grip everywhere else is excellent.

I switch from Rampage SC to Mud-X as soon as it gets boggy.

Dunno about the Advantage.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

ok so by the sounds of it both are good all rounders, advantages maybe a bit better. However nothing seems to be good on wet roots?

Would it be better if i got an advantage rear and high roller front then when spring comes get an advantage for the front to?

luigi_t8
    Free Member

just ordered High Roller 2.35 maxxpro 60a upfront and ADvantage 2.25 70a for the back. Hopefully a good choice

sambob
    Free Member

I really like my ADvantages, 2.25 70A front and rear, not had a puncture in the Peak District with them yet, had one on the front since June.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“High Roller 2.35 maxxpro 60a upfront and ADvantage 2.25 70a”

you’ll have a back tyre bigger than front, the 2.1 sizes up about the same as the 2.35 hr

Northwind

Fairly different tyres I reckon… I didn’t like the Rampage much, it’s a really obvious Nevegal copy except heavier, cloggier and a bit less consistent, not that it was a bad tyre but I can’t see any reason not to buy the original better version.

But Advantages are mint, very fast for the amount of grip they offer.

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t rate the Advantage in mud but there are worse. They are great on rock though.

Hard to fault the old High Roller as an allrounder

luigi_t8
    Free Member

you’ll have a back tyre bigger than front, the 2.1 sizes up about the same as the 2.35 hr

ah well, the HR will still give more grip up front than the ADvantage

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah, I just wish they would stick the HR tread on a nice big volume light casing like the 2.25 advantage

Currently running 2.25 advantage 60a front and 2.25 ardent rear, quick liking it but it’s squirmy in mud. When things dry out it’s 2.25 crossmark at the back which are very fast

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis ADvantage vs Panaracer Rampage’ is closed to new replies.