Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Mark Cavendish …
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Blimey didn’t know that! After the SNAFU of the tickets that was going to be my one olympic sport! How do you get a wrist band? Why is it only 3000, box hill is massive…

lunge

The other thing we disagreed on was whilst I like the purring sounds of Sean Kelly on Eurosport she much prefers the mundane stuff on ITV4. Frankly, she is wrong.

MrSmith
    Free Member

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/default.stm

it’s between athletics and moto-gp on the left hand menu above boxing, snooker and horse racing, ‘other sport’ is the last menu item which takes you to netball, bowls, darts and something called ‘american football’ whatever that is?

clubber
    Free Member

cycling used to be in the ‘other sports’ section. Then when we suddenly won everything at the olympics it got moved to the front section as it is currently…

(incidentally, rowing got moved back into the ‘other sports’ section having been out front during the Redgrave/Pinsent eras)

crazy-legs

Blimey didn’t know that! After the SNAFU of the tickets that was going to be my one olympic sport! How do you get a wrist band? Why is it only 3000, box hill is massive…

Box Hill is massive but it’s also home to lots of pretty birds and butterflies and plants and they don’t want the general public trampling all over it. Hence it’s restricted access to carefully controlled and barriered “zones”.

Wristbands are available from British Cycling (if you’re a BC member), local authorities (if you live in that area) and Cycling Weekly were supposed to be giving out 500 but then they got the hump about how it was organised and said they weren’t going to give any out in protest.

nedrapier

I like this line from ajf’s bbc link:

David Millar… was clutching a plastic glass of champagne and generally looking like a man who didn’t have to ride his bike again tomorrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

unless Wiggins goes and wins the Vuelta

Anyone know when he’s likely to be back on his bike?

hilldodger
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

Wristbands are available from British Cycling (if you’re a BC member), local authorities (if you live in that area)

Have applied for mine, being ‘local’ 🙂

http://www.gosurrey.info/cycling/august-14-2011-cycle-race/wristbands-for-zig-zag-road-2/

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just hitch up somewhere else along the route… Or that there London.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Anyone know when he’s likely to be back on his bike?

apparently he is already out on training rides.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Rusty Mac – Member

Not wanting to take anything away from a outstanding performance by Mark, but there are other sports persons who have had big results this year as well, I jst hope it doesn’t go to a footballist or a boxer

Bar Cavendish, I’d have Amir Khan as the most worthy recipient at the moment. Beaten Maidana, McCloskey and Judah so far since the last SPOTY that’s not bad going.

MoreCashThanDash

My dad HATES cycling – bunch of shaven legged, steroid guzzling johnny foreigners poncing round on bikes etc etc.

He was staying over a few days ago and saw one of Cav’s wins when the aerial shots showed how perfectly his team had controlled and organised the finish for him. “Wow, it really is a great team effort to do that, isn’t it?” was his stunned reaction

I was over there for lunch yesterday, ended up staying till 4.30 as my dad had switched over from the Test match to watch the laps around the Champs Elysees. Even my mum was looking at the peloton muttering “Where is he, where is he….oh, that was Cavendish behind the one in pink…..”

Ewan
    Free Member

Box Hill is massive but it’s also home to lots of pretty birds and butterflies and plants and they don’t want the general public trampling all over it. Hence it’s restricted access to carefully controlled and barriered “zones”.

Wristbands are available from British Cycling (if you’re a BC member), local authorities (if you live in that area) and Cycling Weekly were supposed to be giving out 500 but then they got the hump about how it was organised and said they weren’t going to give any out in protest.

What a bunch of arse. Woking are only letting you enter a competition for the london/surrey classic thing. Can’t find anything about the olympics.

soulrider
    Free Member

if you look at the web address on the bbc sports page, cycling is listed under ‘other sports’

Not on mine it’s not.
    [/quote]

it does appear as a sport in the side bar.
    but click on your own link and as the above poster said – read the web address 😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

Cav was the only sport story mentioned yesterday on 5’s quick news bulletin. Had to double check which channel I was watching.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the web address says, it isn’t listed under ‘other sports’ on the BBC Sport website.

As clubber has already explained – it used to be under other sports, which presumably explains that term being part of the web address, but is now on the main BBC Sport front page in it’s own right. Presumably there was no need to change the web address when they moved it to the front page.

samuri
    Free Member

My dad HATES cycling – bunch of shaven legged, steroid guzzling johnny foreigners poncing round on bikes etc etc.

This tour has been fantastic for convincing people with such mindsets that cyclists don’t take drugs (or at least get caught), and that cyclists are actually way, way harder than any of the tradionally favoured sportsmen in Britain.

I hear that nonsense all the time in various places about cyclists being a bit gay and looking like girls. ‘They’re not real men like *this footballer* or *this rugby player*. They’re proper hardmen.’

Time to pop out the picture of Hoogerland getting his arse and nads shredded by barbed wire and then jumping back on his bike to come fifth, or a picture of Laurens ten Dam slamming his face into a rock, having a bit of bandage wrapped around his hooter and then just carrying on looking like he’s done ten rounds with Tyson.

*that’s* a proper hardman.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, unless you’ve tasted what it means to give it everything on an Alpine climb you’ll never understand how hard they actually are.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Mark Cavendish …’ is closed to new replies.